Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Tires and lift?

New Tires and lift?

I am wanting to change to 33" BF Goodrich AT Radials, I am assuming this will call for a lift and a trim. However, even after searching and reading thru the forums I am unsure as to the type and manufacture of the lift I should purchase. Past getting the tires, I am stuck. Could someone throw me a bone and help me out with suggestions and prices. In addition, I have recently moved to AZ and need a good shop to do the work.

Thanks
    Pigpen

No lift kit necessary- Crank the front torsion bars all the way & install OME 912 (springs in the rear). Actually selecting a set of wheels to fit the BFG TKO 33 inch tires may be the most difficulty you will encounter unless you go to 15 inch wheels.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Yeah, what Bob said.
    That's what I did, the difference is that I went with the 33" BFG MTs. I actually have backed the torsion bars off about 4 turns, I think I'm still at 8 full turns on the bolts. I had to trim some cladding underneath the front edge of the front tire, and beat some of the sheet metal back at the rear of the front wheel well. Neither of these is noticable unless you really look for it. The springs go in pretty easy, a few hours for a non-mechanic.

Brian
    '01 Proton 1416

Thanks

Thanks guys now all I have to do is buy the tires and springs, for the springs do you guys suggest an internet site or dealer type purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen
    Thanks guys now all I have to do is buy the tires and springs, for the springs do you guys suggest an internet site or dealer type purchase?
    This is where I bought mine. Note free S&H

You want 912 medium duty, VX same as Trooper

http://www.rocky-road.com/trooper.html

Quote Originally Posted by BBVX
    Yeah, what Bob said.
    That's what I did, the difference is that I went with the 33" BFG MTs. I actually have backed the torsion bars off about 4 turns, I think I'm still at 8 full turns on the bolts. I had to trim some cladding underneath the front edge of the front tire, and beat some of the sheet metal back at the rear of the front wheel well. Neither of these is noticable unless you really look for it. The springs go in pretty easy, a few hours for a non-mechanic.

Brian
    Great action shot. probably one of the best photos ever.
    What wheels do you have?

How do you keep your VX so clean on the trail?

Bob

Wink

Bob, it looks to me like this is just the begining of the trail LOL
    There is a solid pavement right behind him. BBVX prolly just got off (the) road to show off...

Btw, independent4x.com has those coil springs. I got a set of them with 1'' spacers for my VX and I am very pleased with set up.
    And to answer your next q'n Pigpen, no you do not need new set of shocks. Ours handle taller springs and cranked bars very well.
    My Other Ride Is a Puma
    www.mwior.com

ok,now I have questions on the wheels, how much trouble to keep stock and what are the different makes of the 15" ers?

Thanks for all the help.

Assuming that you are taking your VX wheeling, save your stock wheels and get aftermarket 15".

To be honest I have no idea what's good out there. Whatever suits your taste. I noticed though, most of the 4x4 magazines always have advertisements on whole sets of wheels and tires. And they seem to be cheaper that getting set form local shop. Sometimes with free shipping too.

I wander why I didnt think about it when I was getting my set?

Pigpen,
    Where are you at in Az? I am in Tucson and VCAMILO is in Phoenix. If you are in either of those areas we have both done the lift. If you need any assistance just let us know. Also having a meet in a few weeks if your interested!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I am now in Sierra Vista, but unfortunately I will be working at the time of the meet. I'll tell you though I am definately the only vehicross I have seen in a month or two,

The rims in the pic were $5 each from a junkyard in PA (thanx Dave!), and they are 15x8. You definitely should get some cheapies, unless you aren't getting them for wheeling. The wider the rim, the wider the tire you can put on it, I know some people don't like the look of "skinny" tires.
    I also use the stock tire/rim combo during the good weather months, and the MTs from Nov. thru Apr., then each set will last twice as long.(fingers crossed)

Brian

Bob,

Wow! Thanks! That's high praise coming from THE VX offroader.

As far as cleanliness, I guess I was just lucky that day. This is at Paragon Park in PA and behind me is one of the coal/logging roads that wind thru the park. We must not have gotten into the mud that day, 'cause not only is it sticky/dirty/nasty, but it STINKS when it's been sitting there for a while.

How's this??

Here's one from my second time out. Better?

Brian

so the tires are 33" tall and on 15" rim .. but what is the width of the tire u guys are running?
    Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by sature
    so the tires are 33" tall and on 15" rim .. but what is the width of the tire u guys are running?
    Some are running 33-10-50-15