Thread: Looking for supercharger part

Looking for supercharger part

On the off-hand chance that someone received 2 with their supercharger kit, I'm looking for the aluminum block that the EGR valve bolts to.

The shop that installed the supercharger did a bangup job and managed to cross-thread or strip 8 bolt holes. 4 in the EGR block, three in the back of the supercharger intake (where the small EGR tube connects) and one on the nose cone support. I'm having the intake fixed at a machine shop, but they weren't able to duplicate the large EGR fitting on the bottom of this block.

So, who has one laying around that they don't need?

I'll let you know what the quote from Alpine is on a replacement.

The good news is that I've found the source of some of the noise from my supercharger. It was getting noisier and noisier and when I found the tube on the back of the intake was loose (and missing 1 of the 3 bolts) I found the first of the stripped holes. The bolt would just slide right into that hole, and during disassebly I found the other 7 buggered holes.

-Tad

WOW! Sorry about that, Tad. I thought the shop that installed the SC had done an ok job... intersting that you say it is the tube in the back of the SC, though. When I went to pick the VX up from the shop after the install, we took it out for a spin. It was surging pretty bad at first. We would come to a stop light and the engine would surge, wanting to pull forward, then stop, pull forward, then stop. We both agreed something was not correct and headed back to the shop.

He pulled it back into the garage and played with it for another 45 minutes... came back out and told me there was an uncapped vacuum line that they had missed and was the source of the surging. We went and took another ride and everything seemed to work fine.

I'm wondering if they buggered anything else back there? Would be interesting to see if anything you fix may make the system run better... I dunno. I tried looking back there a bit to see if I could find what line he capped, but I didn't mess with much thinking everything was running ok.

I hope that you understand I'm not blaming you at all.

This is the result that I'd expect if "they" were just some dude who installed it. The bolts back there aren't easy to get to, once the supercharger has been installed. They should have been careful however not to cross-thread them.

Unless they took the heads off during the install, I can't imagine that they messed up any other threaded holes. I have the supercharger sitting on the bench, and nothing else is crossthreaded (thankfully) except for parts on the supercharger itself. They didn't seat the c-clip on the fuel pressure regulator either, for what it's worth. One end is hanging out. But hey, I have a monument as to why people should inspect a shop's work sitting on my desk now. I just hope that I can afford the replacement part

-Tad

Aluminum block should NOT be an expensive part and I would recommend telling them it was loose from the get go - they really should put inserts in there as I have had a couple strip like that well. Let me know if I can help.

Regarding inserts, I'd have expected them to replace the nose cones on the 1st gen sueprcharger kits too, but that didn't happen. Honestly this is a part that would have been just fine if it had been made out of steel. Having 6mm threaded holes in aluminum for part of the exhaust system doesn't seem like a terribly good plan to me. Then again I don't know what materials they are capable of working with.

If I have to have something made to replace this, it's going to include repositioning the EGR valve to somewhere over the pass side valve cover where it should be easy to get to. I hope that they can just get me this block though and I'll put it together and be done with it.

-Tad

I've put in 2 SC kits now, and I've seen the problems.

The back of the manifold is too thin, and the screws strip easily. There should have been a little more material at those screw holes, and they should be blind holes, not through holes. Same for the hole for the egr support bracket.

The tube that connects the back of the intake to the egr plate is bent a little off, and if you catch the 22mm egr nut first, and then try to draw it up with the 5 screws, it'll strip them. If you tighten the 5 screws first, the 22mm nut doesn't line up in the right location, or angle. The tube has to be bent to fit(not in the instructions)

Both EGR plates I've seen were tapped crooked.

Relocating the EGR would be a great idea. Get it away from the fuel line/rail. Let me know as it goes along, I'd be interested in helping if I can.

John C.