Thread: Official Isuzu window fix!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wyrrej,

I'll concede that my interpretation is pieced together from bits here and there rather than a legal analysis of copyright law.

However, I had indeed read first hand, in 1998, text stricken from copyright law allowing fair use when copying from digital a medium. I'll see if I can find it. It was a document that had lines stricken through the text, rather than deleted.

As I now search for "fair use" in the DMCA, I am uncertain what the text on page 4 means. It seems to say that the act of circumventing copy protection may actually be allowed for fair use!

A direct quote from page 4:
    "Since copying of a work may be a fair use under appropriate circumstances, section 1201 does not prohibit the act of circumventing a technological measure that prevents copying."

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Anyway, it's my understanding that the DMCA does not apply to analog copying. Perhaps this is naive? Typically, in the old days, the photo copier was okay for research at the library, VHS was okay to record video off of the TV, and film cameras were okay at museums, presumably under the concept of "fair use."

It's true anyone can sue anyone for anything. Did you hear about the little old lady who sued the neighbor girls for leaving cookies on her doorstep and scaring her? It just happened here in Colorado! She won almost $1000! (I think it sets a good precedent, too, because I would hate to live in a world where children bring cookies to little old ladies without warning!)

Anyway, point taken about the "telephone" problem. The DMCA is thoroughly confusing and is being used to abuse people around the world:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/

Nate

Yes, my simplification was a little misleading, and even this response will be too. Thank the lawyers for generations of building their own job security into the statutes.

The key is that, really for the first time, there is a differentiation between access and reproduction. They are saying that fair use can allow you to circumvent a system the prevents reproduction, but it does not all you to access (decrypted) the information. So, you are probably protected by fair use when copying a DVD as a backup. But you are not OK in decrypting the contents of the DVD for you to access the actual data.

So, when they say that they are allowing circumvention for copying because of fair use, it is a red herring. Fair use covers a whole lot more than just making a bit-perfect duplicate - more often it includes using some transformative version like an excerpt or transcoding to a new format for research, commentary and educational purposes, among many others. But if you can't decrypt it to get at the pieces you need to work with because of the access controls, fair use is effectively nulled. And of course, don't forget that while circumvention may be legal in certain cases, tools that are designed to enable either kind of circumventation are effectively illegal to create or sell. Which makes it real hard to legally exercise your right of fair use.

Subscribing to thread.
    Passenger window does not work. Already paid a shop to fix it and it's still broke.
    Would like a fix.

There is still this FIX
    Scott / moncha.com

A "tip of the hat" to Moncha for this fix thread. I worked perfect and in less than 30 minutes. Great pictures and thanks for the mention of being careful about damaging the outside skin. By having thought about it in advance, it was never an issue. Also, the bending of the bracket about a 1/2 inch made much more of a difference than the widening of the track.

For what its worth, I just bought my VX and when I talked to the local Isuzu dealer, the tech looked up the VX's records and mentioned that the window seal was recently replaced by the dealer under warranty. Clearly that fix didn't do the trick, but Moncha's sure did! One can only wonder how much I saved (out of pocket dollars for service, frustration when it didn't work properly, etc.) with your help.

Thanks again. You guys rock!

Scott,
    That "fix" is just what I need. My driver's window is doing just what you described. Guess where Iwill be this weekend?
    You are the man!
    John

Not me, I just reposted it for phines,he's the one who did all the hard work..