Thread: Using synthetic gear oil??

Using synthetic gear oil??

Hello,
    If you switch to a synthetic gear oil, are you stuck with always having to use it? Or can you switch back? I recently went with a synthetic up front and out back, (Valvoline 75-90 GL-5) and now I notice a slight hummm while coasting at a lower speed around right hand corners. I also added 2 bottles of the BG LS II additive. The dealer is keeping it for a few things, and their going to check on it, but I thought I'd run it through you guy's (and gals)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

you can switch back without a problem.i don't think anyone has had problems with synthetic gear lube.i have synthetic with 1 lsd additive added and no problems. shawn
    1COOLVX

I use.. Royal Purple Max Gear..75w140...front/rear...no additive needed. No problems. Look on ebay for a seller named "racer17k" (Karl Racing Royal Purple oil) is his store name. Price was right and fast shipping. He also had the ATF oil...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Lightbulb

Most synthetics are fully compatible, so you can go back and forth or even blend. As for the hum, since it's audible during a coasting turn, it could very well be gear noise. When you're decelerating the wheels often turn the driveline, which means the back-side of the gear faces get engaged. Since they're not worn in like the the other, normally driven side it'll make noise like a fresh gear set.

This is just an idea based on experience, so I can't say for sure without hearing yours in person. But it's something to think about.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I use Royal Purple everywhere but engine - very satisfied (should've done that day one !) Drive is much smoother adn lower in noise and humm..
    Andrey

I use Mobil 1 with NO problems.

I had to get 4 bottles of LDS additive... I was tripping but that resolved it. Might want to add more.
    face the mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey
    I use Royal Purple everywhere but engine - very satisfied (should've done that day one !) Drive is much smoother adn lower in noise and humm..

A friend who drives Porsche and Ferrari was waxing enthusiastic about syn oil for the engine the other day. Says he uses it in all his cars. I'm curious. Why don't you use it in the engine?

I use AMSOIL products all around - engine, tranny, gear boxes, xfer case... when I first swapped everything over I noticed everything was moving much smoother. They are a bit expensive, but I believe they've got the best product around.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

For what it's worth,I use the Royal Purple in my Bike's.

2 Kahuna: do you use any LS additives? any idea as to what brand would be compatible with mobil's 75W90?

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I switched all fluids to Royal Purple when I first got mine also, I use Max Gear 75 140 with NO additive, and you can really tell a difference in smoothness when you switch all fluids to Royal Purple, could be in my head I guess.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.