Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Florida Georgia Get together

Talking

<smacks forehead>

Yeah Joe, that would help huh? LOL! Done. Hey do you still have the forestry service maps and the GPS unit handy? Those were a huge help last time.

Yup yup, im in.

Might want to provide a mapquest map to get there. (new to FL)

some may not have any idea where we are going (me)

Try plugging these into MapQuest for your directions...

Here's the address for the restaurant we met at for the first meet:

Jake's Place
    16275 E Highway 40
    Silver Springs, FL
    352-625-3133

Here's the address for the Juniper Springs Recreation Area:

Juniper Springs Recreational Area
    26701 E Highway 40
    Silver Springs, FL
    352-625-2808

The restaurant is 7.4 miles west of the Recreation Area. Both lie within Ocala National Forest, so they're actually a bit east of Ocala. But we all need to decide if we're meeting up at Jake's Place first or not.

ummm.

....anyone wanna drive up together im in orlando so anyone round this way heading there we can ide together (in our respective vxs ) .....x

Hey X, yeah we can do that. think there are a couple in this area.

im at 4 and the lake mary exit. just let me know

Jakes place is fine, not sure how long it will take to get there (Florida drivers are slow as mules) but 10 -11 ish?

OK

Jonnie

Ok, let's shoot for 10am at Jake's. Does this work for everybody?

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it due to work-related issues.

As for the forestry map and GPS, you should be able to pick up a map at any convenience store around there. If no one has a GPS a regular compass will help tremendously in conjunction with the map. Just be sure to pay attention to the numbered "roads" and significant landmarks. Last time I took everyone in just East of the Juniper Springs entrance (about 2 miles IIRC) and we basically worked our way around the bombing range to the big power lines which returned us West of Juniper.

If anyone has FRS radios bring 'em. That made communication much easier and kept the group moving last time.

Have fun, take plenty of pics and keep it sunny-side up!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Grrrrr. I'm mad at myself. It occurred to me that the last meet was on a Saturday and I forgot to call the restaurant today and make sure they're open on Sundays. I will do that tomorrow and post it, but I'm afraid we'll have people miss the post so maybe we should just meet there either way.

We'll miss ya Joe! :-( BTW, do you recall where that carwash was? I'm thinking it's along 40 more towards Ocala, but not sure.

I was going to have to go to Gainesville from the event, but I'm thinking I may even head down early, do what I have to do in Gainesville, and head over to Juniper Springs and try to pick up a map then and do a little scouting ahead of time. Could find a tree in the road like last time. :-)
    Last edited by Heraclid : 04/01/2005 at 08:43 PM

what up!
    i have quad maps of the entire forest, showing state forest roads, jeep trails & elevations. i also have gps and two radios. i think south of 40 is whare to explore, its a lot dryer than north of the springs. there is a few "clay pits" marked on the maps i would like to check out. i'll try to make a few copies of the maps (surrounding the springs). i'll also have full color aerials of the area, which always comes in handy.
    are BBQin' for lunch, or should people just bring cold cuts of what-not?
    dave

Dirty Dave, you are a lifesaver! That all sounds terrific. I'm glad we'll have someone who is pretty familiar with the area. Are you still doing some recon for us? I've been there just once before and don't have all of that so I was thinking I may go there today and get some maps and try to scout out a route for us. Do you think that's a good idea or are you comfortable enough with the area that I can skip it (I'm in Jacksonville)? I will probably run out to Gainesville today so I don't have to cut out early for it tomorrow, but would rather not have to run over to the Ocala area until the meet if that's ok.

Oh, and BTW, Jake's will be open so we're good for breakfast. I kinda figured, but it's better knowing. Whatever everyone wants to do for lunch is fine by me. At the spring itself they have shelter and tables and maybe grills. What we did last time was eat at Jake's, hit some trails, do lunch, and go out for a second round of trails, then on to the carwash for those who wanted to.

We had a few people whiz right by the restaurant last time, so whoever gets there first should try to grab a prominent parking spot near the road.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 04/02/2005 at 07:03 AM

Hey,
    (heraclid)It sounds likes more trouble than its worth, but scoping the area wouldnt hurt. I think the maps that you would get nearby would only show forestry roads, which are clearly marked, unless they are selling the quad maps which I doubt. With the maps I have, gps & aerials i dont think theres any chance of getting lost. I am not going to be able to do any phsyical recon, but im down to explore if everyone OK with that. I made a few copies of the maps, we can review them at jakes and decide then. heres my cell number for anyone who might be running late, and has worries about finding everyone.
    Dave
    407-782-3042.
    P.S. Wheres the orlando crew meeting for the ride up? Im in South Apopka(436 & 441)

Thumbs up

Sounds great! Looks like you have it all covered. Last time we found a downed pine tree in the road, but a VX and a tow strap fixed that. :-)

Question

Okay, so where was everybody?!

Apostle and I were the only ones there at 10:00 and we waited until a couple minutes after 11:00 in case some of you got screwed up with Daylight Savings Time happening last night. Jake's was packed by then and we headed up the road a piece, ate pretty quick, and came back and no one was there then either. If anyone did show at about 11:00 and just missed us, they didn't wait long for anyone else. And a few days ago I e-mailed or PM'ed everyone who has posted to this thread and mentioned the time change then. So what's up people? Oh well.

It was nice meeting you Apostle (and I think a lot of anyone who has served in the military) and always good to see another VX.

hey guys,
    i did finally make it there around 12:00, with the hour for daylight savings and the bogus directions i got from map quest. i should have gone my normal route there, but thought i might save some time with map quest. i went to juniper springs first, no vx sightings according to the ranger at the entrance. so i headed on to jakes. packed! but no vx's. swung back by the springs and dropped a map set at the gate and asked the ranger to give them to the first vx that enters. I spent the day south of 40 exploring with my co-pilot cory.
    the first "clay pit" i found was incredible!! i was begining to think there was no good hill climbs in florida ....untill now. met up with some locals in a toyota and got the guided tour of all the good riding areas. anyway, wish i could of cought up with you guys. im disapointed this didnt work out. if you guys ever want to play in ocala let me know, we"ll make it work.
    dave
    p.s. ill post some pics in my gallery from my adventure.