Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta/Tennessee VX Meet April 19th

Unhappy

Well guys I am not gonna be able to make it...

Flying home to NY see the family that week and will not be back till the 20th, sorry.

Have a kick *** time and take lots-o-pictures!

Blah,
    Dave

The com'ins and go'ins

Well Cyrk, we see which family your picking...No man, just kidd'in. Wish you could make it but I understand. I'm lucky enough to be able to visit my family any time. You'll be missed but enjoy the old hood.
    As for Lori, Bring it on girl. I've never seen a foxfire in "real life". You seem to be interested in the camping scene so when shall I mark your arrival. Thurs.4/17, Fri.4/18, or Sat.4/19. I PROMISE you won't meet a better group of people. They say "a stranger is just a friend you have'nt met yet". Anywho, come on down and bring anybody you want.
    Isn't It cool the way this group fills in the gaps for one another. It seems to be that way for everything from a simple question about what windshield washer fluid to buy to somthing as earth shattering as world events.
    We will miss Cyrk...but...will get to meet Lori.
    Lori, email, PM, or post your intentions and...
    We'll All See Ya' at the Gap...carlymac
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

OK OK OK..... I'm there!

I might have to participate in the popper install-fest.

I'll bring my tools, DVCam, etc.

I hope some of you are ready to teach this newbie some tricks!!

Hope to arrive Friday afternoon...

gruven

Talking at'ta boy gruven

Att'ta boy gruven, Thought I was going to whip out my
    " POWER OF CHEESE" on ya'. heehe.

I am going to be a camper at the April GA meet.

I have been a major lurker on the Vmag and vehicross.info
    websites. It is somewhat intimidating for me (for some reason)
    to post. But I'm getting braver.

I have a work commitment Friday 4/18 but may sneak out by 3pm
    to get to the campsite by dark. If I have to stay until 5 at work
    I probably will still come Friday night, I'll just have to pitch a tent
    in the dark.

I am going to bring good food to cook for everyone.
    I love camping! I will probably bring my dog too.

I have already started writing down all my VX questions
    for all you pros.....

carlymac- it was good talking to you last night!
    I might have to make the journey with you on Thursday & help prepare the site.

Sounds like this is shaping up to be quite an adventure. I may now order my popper as Tone can have it here in time.

Lori- glad another newbie will be there as I too have been a long time lurker. I totally relate to your post and I too have a long list!

I was thinking of bringing up some king salmon that I caught in Alaska for us campers. Wondering if that might fit into any dinner plans Friday nite? Any takers?

Talking

MMMMMMMMMMMM...SAL-MON...:homer:

Sounds great gruven, Even though I'm an Eagle Scout I still can't put up a dining fly by myself. However, poppers I can do.
    Looks like we have ourselves a little convoy, coming from Nashville...come on back!! Oh well forgetful probably gets it.
    Lori, got your email and am looking SO forward to the meet.

Hey johnnyapollo, have you heard anything from BigMike or the rest of the Atl. clan?

BigMike's wife gave birth to boy... he's been super busy. He normally works weekends but since that's a holiday weekend, he's hoping to make it. I'm making it for sure and will bring some additional grubb for the grill.

Coop will be there for sure. Andy has been deployed to Iraq (his VX is in storage down in Jacksonville). I'm thinking Travis will make it but I haven't talked to him lately and Dave Sirkin is out of town. That leaves Donny (who I hope can be there since he's done most of the research), skullcap (who looks like he's coming) and BodyProsPT. I don't think I've left anybody out (veryrandy and PantherBlackVX have both moved).

Hey Joe, who is coming up from Florida? This is still shaping up to be a good meet!

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Campfire Potluck?

Something I've always enjoyed when doing a group camp-out, is to plan at least one communal "potluck" meal. Of course, it means having to prepare a dish large-enough for the gathering, but it also means not having to plan provisions for as-many meals, and we get to share in the making and eating of the feast.

It sounds to me like we might have the makings of a little feast. If each person attending can add something to the table, I'll conjure up something in the salad/salsa department that can be consumed with chips and beer.

Of course, then we must decide on which meal to roll-out the cloth dinner napkins.

...behold a government which to bigotry gives no sanction and to persecution no assistance...
    1790 Geo. Washington

Question

I haven't heard anything from the Florida contingent at all on coming up. I'll do a direct email from the list we got together at the Orlando meet and see who's interested. We're hoping to bug out of here about noon that Friday which should put us up there about 7PM or so. We'll camp through Sunday as we're meeting some Atlanta friends for lunch/dinner on our way back.

Anyone got an idea for the average temp at Black Mountain? Trying to decide which sleeping bags to bring so we don't freeze/sweat too much. As for food, let us know something we could bring that would survive about eight hours in the VX or we'll just pick something up on the way. Of course we could always bring some liquid refreshment! :homer:
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Black Rock Temps

As a resident, Dyanni will probably have a better take on climate, but I've a cabin in another section of the Blue Ridge about an hour west of Black Rock, and at a lower elevation. So, I would think that, in mid-April, Black Rock's elevation could still be visited with light overnight frost. (The latest I've seen winter weather in the North Georgia mountains is April 4, but know frost can even hit Atlanta up until April 15th). I'd anticipate average daytime highs in the upper 60's to mid 70's and night time lows in the upper 40's to mid 50s.

Given that the dogwoods and azaleas are just about to burst-open here in Atlanta, and knowing the mountains are at least two-weeks later in spring, we should arrive in time for every VX to take on a yellow-green irridecense. With all of the colors due to show-up, maybe we can have a contest as to whos VX does the best job of camoflauging under the pollen

Black Rock has some excellent 6-8 mile dayhikes. So bring some good footwear if you plan on exploring the wildflowered trails, which are sure to please. Orchids, lilies and blue phloxes should be littering the forest floor in mid-April. (Bet you can't tell I'm an ecologist).

EATS

Every year I buy some very large farm-raised shrimp from
    a biologist who dabbles in the science of shrimp farming.
    It is clean and tastes great.

I bought 50 lbs and still have a lot left. So my contribution to
    the meal(s) will be shrimp...you can boil 'em, fry 'em, put
    'em in gumbo, in soup, in sandwiches.... (...do you
    recognize my lame imitation of Bubba Gump?!)

I was surprised at the cool forecast. I would have
    predicted a higher night temperature.

Yes my foxfire is covered in yellow pollen. I sprayed it
    clean yesterday morning and created some wonderful
    water spots for the pollen to congregate... Oh well.

I've ordered Tone's popper plus the wiring for his
    trailer hitch (hitch installed already) and will be bringing
    them with me. I'm most interested in the popper install.
    (Don't really need the elec wiring until I find me a used Aliner
    camper...)

As time approaches, we should get a head count on
    the campers. Looking forward to the event!

Lori

Talking

(Lt.Dan) " Is something wrong with your lips son...(Bubba)No sir, my momma says I was born with big gums...(Lt.Dan) Well, you better draw them things in before you catch them on a trip wire or somthing"

Sonds like a "Beer" battered seafood feast is coming together!

Talking My Status

Holy Moley, I just noticed I've moved from "zoid" status to a full fledged "VXer"! As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll get off my cheap ***** and become a site supporter.

Talking

I skipped "VXer" and made a contribution the day they dubbed me "zoid." The service and cameraderie provided by Vehicross.info is unsurpassed in my internetting experience.

I bought my VX because of what I learned here, and the confidence that I'd have a community of peers with whom to find support. Of course, I've also learned about some of the tickieness of these little beasts, and found invaluable information for my so-far brief ownership experience in these forums.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Moncha and the folks who moderate the forums to help make this a place many of us tune-in to every day. I hope I don't need a recovery program for this.

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.