Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta/Tennessee VX Meet April 19th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wether.com is a good resource - I use Accuweather - especially when it comes to precip - has been more reliable predicting weather for our wet little corner of the state. The following link will take you out through 8 days beyond the weather.com site - less accurate that far out, but at least interesting. Extended Weather for Rabun (CLICK)

Interesting indeed! Might be able to put some firewood to use.
    I usually don't even trust the weather I see with my own two eyes here in Nashville- but good to get a general idea nonetheless.

Great 'STUCK' movie (& pics)! Hope it gets a chance to dry out some...

As time grows closer we can work on last logistics- make sure carlymac and myself get a proper number of sites together,etc.
    dyanni, did you eye any 'perfect' spots?

My popper & turn-light mod arrived today ready for the install-fest...

gruven

come-along

Weather forecasting in Georgia? 3-days out, MAX. Otherwise,m don't trust the forecast!

Climate is a non-linear chaotic system.

For that matter so is water suspended in a silt/clay matrix.
    (It may not be as snazzy as a 2.5 ton winch, but I'm bringing my come-along. Hmm, now to find a discreet place to stow it in some of the VX's wasted precious space).

...behold a government which to bigotry gives no sanction and to persecution no assistance...
    1790 Geo. Washington

Thumbs up

I stopped by the campgrounds to check out their campsites again last Saturday. They have fully opened the camp up now - so all sites are available. I captured some pix and video of a drive through the campsite and will post those - and any others that might be interesting this Saturday. Next week I am in New Orleans, but should be able to return Friday night - just in time.

Lightbulb sites

dyanni, Coop or anybody that knows the park,
    I thought gruven and myself would try to get three sites together that were near a parking area so the people arriving on saturday could park with the flock. Considerations also include: large enough sites to accommodate everyone and their boxes of new mods, three sites far enough away so as not to be within eyeshot of the rangers station..Hey-hey BOOboo and proximity to the restrooms/showers..girly amenities. If you remember seeing a group of sites or area of the park that fits the bill please post so gruven and I have an idea of areas to seek out first...Thanks

T-minus 9 days
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

1999 Astral Silver Vehicross 1305, Sold to Dieselburn
    I didn't go in to the camping area when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so I can't help you.
    Coop

'02 Isuzu Trooper 4WD
    '01 Pontiac Aztek AWD
    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport

I will post pix of the sites Saturday mid-day. I seem to recall sites 15-16-17 being close enough for bathroom runs - out of site of the trading post - AND exposure to the mountainside. I will verify and post pix of possible clusters for your preview on SAT!

D.

Thumbs up

THANKS dyanni,
    I'm chomping at the bit, todays my last day at work until April 21st.

Oh, last night I moved the alarm antenna wire from the door sill to the A-pillar on my VX. And boy does it help the range of the remote!! If anyones interested see my HOW-TO post on the "Key fob OPTION button?" topic of this forum.

T-minus 8 days!!

remote reception

OK, Carlymac:

You mean to tell me the A-post is actually good for something besides directing water onto the floorboards? I'm having a little trouble finding your post about the antenna relocation. I guess I'll have my VX all-over the campground parking lot before all is said and done.

Has anyone notified the park superintendant of our gathering? Maybe invited him/her to stop by?

I'd think they'd be excited to play host for such an unusual gathering of outdoor enthusiasts.

Talking

Yea...Your probably right skullcap, Now the water will most likley run down the antenna wire straight into my alarm box...LOL. I guess I'll atleast know when it's raining...BEEP-BEEP-FLASH-FLASH

Anyhow try this

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=5090#post5090
    Last edited by carlymac : 04/11/2003 at 01:00 PM

ok - so Saturday Mid-day has turned into Saturday night - but I have been out rippin' up the country side and have the pics to prove it. Look for them to start showing up tonight.

Pix/video of Campsites
    Pix of large mostly empty parking lots for the line-ups.
    Pix/video of the excellent offroad trip I took today up to Rabun Bald - now I really know what off-road is like.

Each of the following images - as I post them - are Clickable for a larger version ...

What to expect in the Big city of Clayton ...

Something you may not expect ... Speed zones change on a dime in the series of small towns that dot 23/441 through Rabun County. Pay attention to speed signs - they can take you from 55 to 35 in a very short distance. The home of Black Rock Mountain state park is in Mountain City. They have no city taxes. Their government runs completely on the fines collected from speeders. Word to the wise!

As for places to meet-up at - we could go for the very public, but mostly empty parking lots at either Ingles or WalMart at either end of town.

WalMart

Ingles

The Visitor Center on Black Rock - also has adequate parking for the expected crew - AND views to boot.

Any camping lot above 10 looked good to me at Black Rock. Here is a shot of 16 ...

Lots 18/20/22 ... Are all side by side and well situated ...

I made the trip up to Rabun Bald ( Ga's second highest peak ) and had a blast in the process. True fun off-road driving - over ruts-n-rocks. Made for an exciting climb to the top. Rabun Bald is a short trip from Black Rock and the view/ride is well worth this off - road adventure.

And the trip up/down the 4WD only access is fun ...

It has been dry now for a couple days - and SUNNY. I had forgetten how fair-skinned burns so quickly and am now sporting a bright red face. - anyways - forecast is looking good pretty much through meet day. Today I was out and visited WarWoman Dell - a picnic/gathering place that is intersected by the Bartram trail ( MiLeS of trail ) and spotted this covered picnic area. Lots of natural parking.

One of the trails leads to this middle-earth looking stairway up to pre-civil war railroad project. Whole area surrounded by noisy stream. Very relaxing.

Ok - ran out of time with the movies - but they look awful shrunk down to web size anyway. Last comment I will probably get to make b4 meet is a couple of drives that you must take while in Rabun. IMHO, the road around and between Lake Rabun, Lake Seed, and Lake Burton is not to be missed - specially if you like gawking at multi-million dollar homes sitting on tiny lots. Also the drive around the Wolffork Rd. loop ( takes you from 23/441 around the Wolffork Valley and brings you back to 23/441 right at the Rabun Gap Nachoochee shool ( the most beautiful high school campus I have ever seen ) These roads can be accessed from 23/441 which is the main drag through the 4 major cities in Rabun county - all paved - all a joy to drive. The following pic was taken yesterday ( after I cleaned up my ride ) at Lake Seed.

Last edited by dyanni : 04/14/2003 at 03:04 AM

Talking birthday boy?

.....................HAPPY BIRTHDAY, forgetful.......................

thanks for the birthday party carlymac..I just got home today from Oregon and Californa. My wife got me a new paintball gun so if anybody thinks they might want to shootaround at the Gap, let me know so I will bring it. I will also be bringing another set of horseshoes.

After seeing the pics of ( stuck in the clay ) I'll bring my tow strap and my comealong.

Still have extra tent room if anybody needs it. But I think we will be leaving Sat. night. ( not written in stone though ).
    I'm off work until the 21st myself, got lots of work to do around here and to get ready for the meet.

So the count is still about 10 vx. Well not as many as at the Orlando meet. But it will be fun. Looking forward to it. see everybody there. ;Dr; ;Dp;
    Shawn
    vxer for life

I just read my private messages. I appreciate all the happy b-day wishes from everybody. It makes feel all warm and fuzzy inside..

I've never been part of a group before where the members show such an enthusiasm for the same thing and show concideration and friendship toward each other. I'm so glad I found this site.

I've found another vx in my area. I've talked with the owner a couple times. I told him about the site but I don't think he has joined yet for some reason that I just can't understand. I know he visited here and looked at all the forums. He has 2 other wrecked vx that he is going to make one good one. I told him if I was doing it, I would pick an awsome non-vx factory color, and make sure I could get the same color in leather( or vinyl ) for the interior seats. Then he would have one of a kind l Think about all the other vx enthusists that don't know about us. It boggles the mind. I'm outta here.....

Talking

Shawn, you've already got a one-of-a-kind VX! So Happy B-Day Mr. Proton! LOL! Another paintballer, huh? Well then, I'll bring up the Dark Angel and see what kind of ruckus we can get going. Maybe a good game of Cowboys and Iraqis?
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...