Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta/Tennessee VX Meet April 19th

Cool

Ok - I've collected most of the stuff to start publishing info today. I have one more trip to make to the campgrounds at the Tallulah Gorge park. In addition to what I post here - if any of you want some of the brochures/maps/info about the area - send me an email with your physical address and I will mail them out 2 weeks prior to the meet. I drove around yesterday shooting video and pix of all the possible places to stay and play, one more trip this morning and I am done with the camping stuff.
    Last edited by dyanni : 03/17/2003 at 02:08 AM

Rabun County Meet Camping best bets

Camping best bets

Black Rock Mountain State Park

The mountain is Black Rock Mountain, setting of Black Rock Mountain State Park, so named for its dark granite cliffs. It's the highest state park in Georgia, at 3,640 feet in elevation, embracing some 1,500 acres. On a clear day, views extend for 80 miles. To reach the park, leave Mountain City and go 3 miles north of Clayton via U.S. 441. The park is open daily from 7am to 10pm year-round. It offers 48 tent and trailer sites, 12 walk-in campsites, and 10 rental cottages, plus a playground and a 17-acre lake. There are six scenic overlooks and a 10-mile trail system. For more information, contact Black Rock Mountain State Park, Mountain City, GA 30562 (tel. 706/746-2141)

48 Tent sites with water, electric, and cable TV connections! $17/nite
    12 Tent sites without above amenities considered "walk-in" $10/nite
    Max 2 tents per site ( walk-in sites accomodate only 1 tent )
    Reservations required! ( very popular in the spring )
    Call 770-389-7275 or 800-864-7275 for Reservations

on Site access to restrooms/showers and Trading post for the stuff you forgot

Black Rock also offers rental Cabins at between $75 and $100
    sleeps 8 to 10 people, some with excellent mountain views.

Tallulah Gorge State Park

Tallulah Falls & Gorge--This land of waterfalls and gorges was a fashionable resort with several upmarket hotels until 1913. But the construction of the Georgia Power Hydroelectric Dam changed the fate of the community, and the area became a bit of a ghost town. At 600 feet, Tallulah Gorge is one of the deepest and most panoramic in the east. The Cherokees believed it was inhabited by a race of "little people," and that those who ventured inside never came out. Hiking in the gorge is very strenuous. The recreational center is at the 300-acre Terrora Park and Visitor Center (tel. 706/754-7970), with picnic areas, 50 campsites with water and electrical hookups, a beach for swimming, a playground, a bathhouse, and tennis courts, along with several nature trails. Office hours are 8am to 5pm. Nightly campsite rentals cost $12 for campers with tents, $14 for those with RVs. Terrora Park is immediately north of the bridge over Tallulah Gorge on the west side of U.S. 441 in the town of Tallulah Falls.

Water releases from the DAM are scheduled during the meet.
    Whitewater boating possible April 12/13 - 700 cu ft per second
    Aesthetic Water releases on April 19/20 - 200 cu ft per second

Terrora Campground

50 R/V Tent Sites @ $14 for tents and $15 for RV's.
    Reservations available, or first come first served.
    Call 706-754-7979 for Reservations or 706-754-7970 General Info

Like Black Rock Mountain - provides access to public ammenities

StonePlace Trail

Primitive Structure camping
    1 unit - no water, electricty, amenities
    Access this unit by taking 4WD only offroad trail to Lake Tugaloo,

Then walk a mile-or-so back along StonePlace Trail ...

Until you get to this 3 sided primitive shelter.

Firepit provided, toilet paper optional ...

Information of Hotels, Trails, sight-seeing - and best place to meet-up to follow ...

Talking I have reservations at Black Rock Mt.

I have reserved two campsites at Black Rock Mt. State Park. From April 17th - 20th, I will arrive on the 17th and anybody else who wants to come down can join me on that day or join in whenever they arrive. There is a 6 person per site rule so if there are more than 12 takers please advise me so further reservations can be made. I will set up one large (6person) tent and one small(2person) tent on one of the campsites. back to back sites are NOT guaranteed but I think I can secure back to back sites by getting there on the 17th. I know there was intrest about camping so if you want to set up on the other site advise me ASAP. If you don't have a tent or want to spend only a night or two anybody is welcome to stay in my tents (I don't bite...much heeheee). Bring a sleeping bag and I'll make room. If you do have a tent come on down and pitch it. The fee is $17.00 per night and I have deposited for two nights. We can figure the fees when we find out how many people will be there, it will certainly be less expensive than a hotel room. There is water, electricity, showers and even cable hookups at the sites so this won't be primitive. Many thanks to Dyanni for doing the legwork, and to Johnnyapollo for launching the meet. I hope to do my part by setting up a hospitality site. Please post if you are interested in the camping approach. The more the merrier....If you have questions PM me from this forum as I will be able to check them from work or home.
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

If anybody wants to send me an email either send it to carlemccoy2@msn.com (new home computer) or PM me through the vehicross.info forum. My cheap government email account is on the blinks. thanks

Talking Camping at the meet

OK, I know it's still a month away but, I need a headcount for people who are planning to camp at Black Rock Mountain state park. It fills up fast in the spring. I recieved a confirmation letter from Ga state parks and they have a two tent per site rule. When I made the reservations they said six people per site, Which is still true so long as they sleep in two tents. Anyhow it's no biggie I just need to know how many people want to pitch there own tents. So I can figure how many sites will be needed. I have two already... So far I have tentatively (get it..."tentatively") myself arriving on thursday the 17th...Forgetful/wifey, skullcap/company and Joe_Black/fiancee arriving on friday the18th. Coop considering a cabin And gruven (the new Nashville VXer) contemplating the meet all together. gruven you need to come...Hope I haven't forgotten anyone? If so let me know.

If you wan't a site away from the group or a cabin that's fine too. Just call the reservation phone # 1-800-864-7275. Remember this park is one of Georgia's spring jewels and will fill up quickly!
    If you wan't to camp with the group...Again let me know and there will be room for all...See You at the Gap!! carlymac

P.S. both carlemccoy2@msn.com (home) and mccoyc@k12tn.net (work) are up and running or you can PM me through this forum

Lots of thanks to everyone working to make this meet happen and getting the info on all the details. We have a 6 man tent that we have never used or even set up, but, it has one main tent with 2 smaller tents (one on either side) all connected. So if anyone wants to use one or both sides it's available.
    Thanks again.

Shawn
    Shawn
    vxer for life

Question campfire mods

If I bring the unit along with a cordless drill and some tools, are there any among us who can help me add Tone's popper kit?

I watched him do an install last week, and know the instructions are posted. Short of holding my hand, I'd appreciate some guidance from one who knows the how-to. (Even Tone said there's more than one way to install the solenoid). E-mail or PM if you're game and let me know if I need any additional wire or special tools.

PS - I've also got the brake-light flasher and side-marker turn signal mods to install.

;pg; Feelin' mighty green!
    ...behold a government which to bigotry gives no sanction and to persecution no assistance...
    1790 Geo. Washington

Depending on where you mount the button, you may need an additional 5-6 feet of 18-20g wire

Talking

Carlymac, we are definitely there that Friday night. We've got a two-person tent to pitch, so figure that in site logistics. If you think a third site is needed from the headcount let me know if you want any help from my end. Looking forward to some runs with y'all!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I'm coming up Friday night as well. I'll sleep wherever there is room! Hey skullcap, I can help you install that kit. I'll bring along my electricians kit (has extra wire and stuff) so anyone with mods, bring the raw materials and we'll see if we can get everyone hooked up!

Looking forward to this one.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Talking Latest Info on Blk.Rock Mtn. camping

O.K. Gang, Here's the latest.
    I have reserved a third site. As the logistics stand today we have enough tents to max out two sites. So we now have a third site reserved for further guests/tents. I am still going down on thurs. the 17th to set up a greeting area and try to get three sites together. I will bring a set of horseshoes, so practice up.
    As far as mods, between this group we could proabably build a VX from the ground up. johnnyapollo is terribly savvy with mods and is a VERY gracious host. I too will bring my "tool box" and I have installed all the mentioned mods on my VX.
    If anybody plays a guitar, ukulele, anything bring it. Hell, I guess even a banjo would be O.K. we are, afterall in rural Georgia (squeal like a pig..boy). hehee
    dyanni, I usually load my hitch mount carrier with firewood but I kinda think thats a LONG way to haul wood. Do you know of anywhere to get firewood locally? Oh...and while I've got you are you spending the night with us in the woods or will you commute from home? THANKS AGAIN dyanni for all the work to help make this possible!!
    I just got everything confirmed We have 2 sites from 04-17-03 to 04-19-03, and 1 site from 04-18-03 to 04-20-03 for people leaving on sunday. more sites can be added if needed.

See Ya' at the Gap...carlymac

firewood

As you wind your way up through Rabun county, you will see stacks of firewood by the road near small outbuildings. If you stop - generally someone will be there to sell. At most of the Grocery store parking lots you will see a pickup sitting near the edge of the parking lot - generally, that is for sale too. When I head home this weekend I will scope out precise locations for your incendiary procurement.

I am out of state at the moment - Raliegh NC today - Houston TX tomorrow thru Friday - and Austin TX on Mon/Tue next week. When I come home I will start posting vids of the trails I captured around the area.

I am trying to negotiate my way OUT of having to be in New Orleans the week of the meet - Will keep you updated ...

I want a tailgate popper. Where do I get one, does anybody have one that they can bring to the meet? What supplies do I need to install it? I also want luggage racks if anybody has those for sale.
    looking forward to it.

Cool The man for mods

forgetful:

Try and relate the name Tone Monday to memory. You can see his informative posts all over these forums and at V-mag.

Tone has a site at http://tonemonday.com/ where you can find a whole cadre of mods from the basics to the basically extreme. All of them have been tailored to fit the VX.

I think they run about $75. A very low price when you consider the convenience it affords.

I was in Austin, last week, where I met Tone and a few Texas-based VXers. So, I'll be bringing my popper kit to Black Rock in hopes of gaining assistnace with the installation. If you can get a popper kit, in time for the mid-April meet, maybe we can have a popper party!?! Champagne seems like an appropriate choice to toast the new installation ;Dp;

HI GUYS,

I live in Columbia, SC just a couple hours away from
    the upcoming April VX meet/ camping site.

I have a 2000 foxfire red mica VX, purchased in July 2002.

I would like to join the festivities at Black Rock Park.
    The meet appeals to me because I want to meet other
    VX owners. As far as I can tell I'm the only one in Columbia
    SC with a VX. i have lots of questions for you pros.

I have installed Tone's hitch and would like to install
    the popper kit too. I noticed that some other people
    would be doing this too. Great.

(BTW...I have camped a lot in SC and it is my experience that
    putting 3 small tents on a 2-tent site doesn't get us in
    trouble.)