Thread: In-car computer

In-car computer

Hey Everyone its been awhile but i've been working on a in-car computer to put in the vehicross but never had the spare change. well now it's diffrent lol. Thr only problem is what other think. Here is what i had planned. they sell mini-computers the size of our 6 cd changer maybe a little bit bigger. Well i was thinking either to put the mini-computer where the changer goes and installing a 7" touch screen where the radio is and the a/c vents. Basically cut out a 7" square and take out the vents and radio and put in the screen. I'm alittle retarded and don't know how to post the pics so here is the link for the screen. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Please any comments are welcome.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    First, congratulations on your win!

I've been tossing this idea around for a while now (the "car-puter"). There's a ton of info on the web, and Xenarc actually makes some of the best off-the-shelf units out there.
    I've also looked into constructing a "digital dashboard" similar to the Ecutek Delta Dash. This would display user-programmable (via Visual Basic for me) "gauges" of all of my non-critical functions (air pressure for Ranchos, etc.). The use of a touchscreen and a digital I/O module will allow me to make adjustments to shocks (or whatever else I care to add) via the screen in the dash. Sounds pretty neat, but after I really go into it I found the following shortcomings:
    1. No knobs. Turning up (or down) the stereo (which wouldn't be as good as a quality HU anyway) will require some finger-pointing on a LCD screen -not very quick or efficient. Knobs could be added/integrated, but that is beyond my abilities.
    2. Shock resistance. The VX is an all-terrain vehicle -why would I want a control system to be sensitive to even minor impacts.

For this reason I've started looking at all-in-one units like the AVIC-N1. I'd like to remove the screen for permanant (not flip-out) mounting. It seems to do (just about) everything that I need, and nothing that I don't need (I really don't want to run Windows anything in my car).
    It's worth a look.

-Marlon

Thumbs up YOU CAN Dew IT

I've had my computer for like 6 months now, it's hot! I took out my indash dvd player and sold it on e-bay, now opperate completely off the computer. I did it the cheap way, but kinda wanted some muscle in the cpu and easily upgraded.

everything you will ever need to know is here Read as much as you can, there's soo much good stuff there.

be sure you consider the heat. I'm burning an amd 2100+ with two amps, and inverter, and like four power dc filters. Check out Via motherboards or Cooler running Pentiums like the mobile. My VX heats up quick.

I put gps, a sound card that runs all sterio into 4.1 digital, and xm all controlled by touchscreen. Everyone is so impressed, what matters is my 1200 mp3's are at my fingertips.

check out some pics

before you know it, you'll have your blue tooth celi sharing speakers with you voice activated navigation and music. Goodluck!

Awsome guys. I was looking at some computer that i could use and i saw mini computers on ebay and i also read up on he new apple mini computer. But i knew i could find something better out there, so i did more research on this and came up with this site.(bottom of the page) Now these things are awsome and they even sell car kits already to go. Whats kool about these is that i wanted a computer that you can take out of your car with ease and use it anywhere you go as long as you have a monitor and the essentials. well, with this i can. Honestly i do't think the price is bad, but i would prefer to buy the barbone and build it myself. And as i said i would be able to put it in place of the cd changer and and run the wires up to the screen. As for keping it kool i would get the fanless option which would help drastically in the car. Also since i would be cutting out the vents for the a/c i would distribute the a/c to hit both the computer and the screen preventing them from getting hot. Thats just the rough idea of it. No final draft on the plan but thats basically it. I wish i had some pics to decribe it better but i need to take pics, i apoligize for that but what do you guys think?

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/default.asp

7" touchscreen

I also have been playing around with the idea of installing an on-board computer rather than a new sound system. I exclusively listen to MP3s in the car and wanted a better way to access them. Being an ipod user I was really interested in the new mini macs.

How would you power an on-board computer other than using an inverter?

Also, check out this touchscreen moniter. Similar to the one you posted but costs a little less.

Lilliput 7'' LCD Touchscreen VGA Monitor

and here

Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen

GOOD LUCK!

On the site francesco provided they have shutdown controllers and that sort of stuff on their. I'm pretty sure they have the right stuff needed for that. awsome sie btw Fran.

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    I've had a PC installed in the VX since late 2002. It consisted of a Epia 800, with PCI radeon 7500 (for 800x480 resolution) and the first version of the Xenarc. Along with an extremely flakey ODB, and an alright GPS. It used a 40gig 2.5" laptop drive. It was powered by a PC Power & Cooling DC-DC 100w - though they don't seem to make them anymore... Still a damn good unit. Start up/shutdown was processed by a shutdown controller circuit I put together.

System used S3 for startup/shutdown. It had taken about 7 seconds to boot.

I fabricated a custom enclosure for the unit and it was mounted underneath the drivers seat. I crimped a long length custom ATX power cable, and the DC-DC supply was mounted underneath the passenger seat.

LCD was mounted in a custom enclosure I created out of fiberglass, which replaces the area where the ashtray/cd changer went. It was molded around a spare dash trim piece so the whole unit could easily be removed. So it works fine with my '01.

I had used it for quite some time until I started getting frustrated with the lack of brightness with the LCD. Was gonna upgrade it, then had engine trouble with my '99, sold it and bought a '01. That was a year ago.

Haven't reinstalled it back in the '01 as I just recently started putting a new system together. Still using the Radeon 7500, Epia M10000, and the 2.5" drive. Along with all the usual goodies, bluetooth, wifi, gps, ODB, etc.. Fabricating a new, smaller case for placement again under the drivers seat (stays the coolest under there).

I should note the M10000 S3 tests puts it with a boot time of only 5 seconds. Believe it or not.

I just recently re-engineered the mechanism for the drivers seat latch to move the seat forward/backward. Before, it used a long metal silver rod to engage both latches when the handle is tugged. I replaced it with metal cable, and ran it along to the top of the bottom of the seat. To free up for space heightwise under the seat. Works great, need to get pics. This allows me to keep the case taller so I can also put in the basic stamp + voltage regulator circuits, plus wifi, odb, and the GPS module all the case.

This time the 2.5" drive will be encased in a shock-absorbent gel casing taken for a Panasonic toughbook.

The newer system is almost done, I'm working on the finishing touches for the basic stamp. It will control startup/shutdown along with auto adustment of the backlight luminosity for the newer LCD display (which is the latest version of the Xenarc). I actually took a picture of that!

Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

Damn that looks awsome. And goodluck with your new one. That setup you had looked nice and clean like if it actually came with the car.

Here is my creation... I took vacation next week... supposed to go to Moab but now I don't have the cash to cover the gas expense! Damnit! Anyway, I think I'll used next week to do my install of my carputer... here is my modified dash... I will run one of the frontends like mentioned above (all found at mp3car.com)... I am running an Alpine PXA-H701 with the RUX-C701 controller... Arc Audion five channel amp, Rainbow components front and rear, Arc Audio sub and a few other goodies including an Alpine CDA-7995 just in case I actually want to listen to the radio (but I doubt it since I'll be running XMPCR)... oh, and this monitor will also display my rearview camera... check it out... whatayathink?!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!
    My Webshots Gallery...
    Last edited by coachreed : 05/12/2005 at 04:30 AM

If you want someone to install a carputer for you, contact these guys:

http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by coachreed
    Here is my creation... I took vacation next week... supposed to go to Moab but now I don't have the cash to cover the gas expense! Damnit! Anyway, I think I'll used next week to do my install of my carputer... here is my modified dash... I will run one of the frontends like mentioned above (all found at mp3car.com)... I am running an Alpine PXA-H701 with the RUX-C701 controller... Arc Audion five channel amp, Rainbow components front and rear, Arc Audio sub and a few other goodies including an Alpine CDA-7995 just in case I actually want to listen to the radio (but I doubt it since I'll be running XMPCR)... oh, and this monitor will also display my rearview camera... check it out... whatayathink?!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!
    My Webshots Gallery...

tat looks really good...u plannin to sell those!?!?!

I doubt I'd offer to sell them in volume... but if a person were to be interested, I'd consider making another... for a price! lol I hate paint and finish work, so the price wouldn't be cheap either! The kewl thing about my work I did here, is that its NOT fiberglass or bondo... it is completely made out of ABS plastic... the kewl thing about that is that won't EVER crack or break... if your familiar with fiberglass and bondo on top of plastic, they are two completely different materials and so eventually they will crack.

The monitor is a Xenarc 700TSV-B (B for black... they also come in silver)... I just gutted the electronics, cut the dash to accept the monitor bezel, then used dissolved ABS (ABS in acetone)... I have a thread over at MP3Car.com talking about my ABS solvent adhesive process that I used.

Anywho... I hope to do the install this next week since I can't afford my trip to Moab now!

Later!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    That's quite a thread on mp3car.

It's about time that someone came up with an elegant and non-Bondo based solution to dash fabrication.
    Well done!