Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Stealthbox

Try this!!!

I just recently put in a 10" Sony Xplod sub into the spare tire housing...it took some figuring out and planning, but it works great and the sound of my system drastically improved!!!...It is basically the same as the one Tone sells on his website...but I decided to cut a roughly 4" thick acoustic foam that is round that fits inside the spare wheel housing ...with a round hole cut in the center of the foam to securely hold the back part of the sub and the 1/2" thick MDF that is mounted on it...this in turn acts as a stealth box and also gets rid of the SHAKES !!! It is also super easy to remove the sub to access my spare, just in case I'll need it...I'll post some pictures of this mod ASAP...also the guys at the audio installation shop where so impressed that it looked like a professional job...functionally as well as aesthetically!!! It looks GOOOOOD with my Ebony VX ..due to the red hexigonal shaped speaker cone as well as a semi translucent grill that protects the sub..I also put some black door edge protectors around the circular cut out of the plastic ..so it frames it real nice!!!
    Everything but the Girl (Story of me life, and a great band!)

Thumbs up stealthy mod

YEA...YEA PICS PLEASE,
    I want to add a sub to my existing stock system. Just to even everything out. Not wake up the neighbors.
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

Tone sells a sub enclosure - www.tonemonday.com

The choice of good air free subs is very limited, my preference is with an inclosure

Here's the picture of Tone's from his site...

My question is... is this a complete replacement panel? Or, is it just the stock panel with a hole cut in it, with a board attached to it? If it is a complete replacement panel, what is it made of? Lemme know as I had a plan to make something that would be VERY easily mass producable... and it wouldn't be the first time for me to do such a thing. Basically... I would gel-cote my stock rear cover panel, fiberglass it, and then I will have a mold for a foberglass replacement... but its not done there... I would mold into the panel, a sub enclosure. Of course, this would either require the panel to be painted to match... unless I can get a decent price on a color matched gel coat. It would also have the original texture and markings. Anyway, lemme know what you think of that... maybe I'll post a new thread on this... just got off on a tangent.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

I offer a Russian birch plywood panel covered in black trunk carpet, brackets and custom grill that fits in the stock tire cover (after you cut the plastic inside the line already molded in there) - almost like it was designed for it. Anything more than the 10” FreeAir driver is really pushing the physical space limitations of the rim area or requires the removal of the spare not to mention the increased modification of the rear cover.

I wanted a simple, good looking but highly effective way to noticeably increase the sound of the stock (or aftermarket) system that doesn’t disturb the car next to you or be overly complicated or take up more space than necessary. Switching the sub in and out of the system shows the huge difference that it makes - true, it isn’t going to win any competitions, but you’ll feel and hear the difference. Demos avail at any meet....

Originally posted by Tone
    Demos avail at any meet....
    Don't guess there'll be any meets here, will there?! Yeah, sounds like a decent simple system, one that is probably more than good for most... I'd like to hear it first hand, but don't guess I'll be getting that chance anytime soon... at least not before I end up going nuts on my own VX. Ahh well, guess I need to go buy some fiberglass supplies before the weekend rolls around. TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Someone make one for sale pleeeeeeesse, I want one other wise I have to go with a free air sub, I am not sure I want to do that

James

I have one too.

I did this 3 months ago and I do like the space saving idea but when you really crank up the bass it makes the whole rear door rattle. For the life of me I can't stop the license plate area from rattling just a bit. The whole rear door is dynamated and the internal mechanism have been tweeked with so that they won't rattle. The guy that did mine will charge 400-450 if anyone is intersted in one. Im 90% happy cause I never crank it up too much and I dont have to remove a sub-box to throw stuff in the back.

Im sorry but I think the way he cut the panel was not very good, the finishing isnt top notch , may I say

I concur, looks like he cut it out with a circular saw. I want a sub but not at the extreme expence of my rear door panel. I'm not knocking your ride VCAMILO, but that ain't for me.

Re: I have one too.

Originally posted by VCAMILO
    I did this 3 months ago and I do like the space saving idea but when you really crank up the bass it makes the whole rear door rattle. For the life of me I can't stop the license plate area from rattling just a bit. The whole rear door is dynamated and the internal mechanism have been tweeked with so that they won't rattle. The guy that did mine will charge 400-450 if anyone is intersted in one. Im 90% happy cause I never crank it up too much and I dont have to remove a sub-box to throw stuff in the back.

To get rid of that license plate rattle, first Dynamate the back of the license plate, then add a 1 inch cube of plumbers putty between the plate and car body to absorb any and all other vibrations. Worked for me Also, my advice to EVERYONE doing a rear door sub modification... NEVER cut your panel. Put your panel away someplace safe, it wil only get in the way of the bass. Check out my gallery for pictures of mine, and email me if you need more ideas. For those who haven't done one yet, foam is cheap and easy
    NAVIGATOR

I did all that. Dynamatted the frame, license, etc... and there still a rattle from the plate inside the license plate area. The reason we cut the hole sho big was to add a ABS plastic with the word "VEHIcross" lazered cut into it. I just need the find the ABS plastic that big and then a place that will lazer cut it out. I can work in autocad if anyone had a source for those things. I also have another uncut rear panel that I bought on ebay for $40 bucks. ;Dr;

... the word "VEHIcross" lazered cut into it. I just need the find the ABS plastic that big and then a place that will lazer cut it out.
    Are you going to use clear ABS? You could add a couple high intensity LEDS shooting in from the side to illuminate the VehiCROSS that you cut in.
    Scott / moncha.com

I did all that. Dynamatted the frame, license, etc... and there still a rattle from the plate inside the license plate area. The reason we cut the hole sho big was to add a ABS plastic with the word "VEHIcross" lazered cut into it. I just need the find the ABS plastic that big and then a place that will lazer cut it out. I can work in autocad if anyone had a source for those things. I also have another uncut rear panel that I bought on ebay for $40 bucks. ;Dr;
    If you have the ability to set something up on autocad, I could probably have the guys down in our CNC department toolpath it and it could by CNC'd into the plastic. Lemme know what you think. Where exactly are you located? TTYL!

Coach!