Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Custom Stealthbox

Does it have to be in Autocad?
    I'd love to get a piece of ABS cut for my computer side panel.
    Scott / moncha.com

hey Scott..

If you have a 3-D file of what you need for the side of your computer side panel, you should try to export the file in an .igs format file to be imported into Autocad for CNC toolpath.

VCamilo...

I believe that you can't really laser cut through ABS plastic. I think it gumms up during the cut which leaves you with crappy results. I've consulted with Tap plastics about this when I was researching ways to cut my abs grill kit out. You might have better results with water-jet cutting but not much. The other option, if your heat is set in laser cutting, is acrylic. Keep in mind that acrylic has different characteristics than ABS in terms of durability, heat resistance, and finish results both good and bad depending on what's important to you.

However, if you do go with water-jet, may want to consider a stain-less steel designed cover. The results are very good and the finish is chrome-like. That's how I did my stainless steel grills. Good luck with you decision and quests.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Ron, thanks for the info but, I don't do AC.. I need to find someone that can do it for me, I guess.

Originally posted by Moncha
    Does it have to be in Autocad?
    I'd love to get a piece of ABS cut for my computer side panel.
    I'll talk to one of our CNC operators on Monday to see what files he can deal with... if there are any variations. As for the ABS thing... I think Ron is right... I wasn't even thinking about the material. I'd personally stick with polycarbonate or something of the sort or one of the poly-hybrid materials (specific names slip my mind right now). I'm not sure who does our waterjet stuff for us, but I could check into that too... I recall seeing some stuff we did for some prototypes that were waterjeted... I think they were done in a material called sentra or centra... its an extended PVC material that we get in black or white... pretty easy to work with for decorative things.

Anywho... ttyl!

Coach... aka Randy!

hey Radiologue

Would you be willing to make one for fellow vxer for a price ?

James

Man, I would love to make more of these boxes for people. However, It was a very time consuming and tedious process that I just really do not have time for. I'd be more than happy to tell anyone who wants to know how to do it. Most importantly for me, I would like to avoid further exposure to fiberglass resin if at all possible. I reaked, my garage reaked, my neighborhood reaked!!! Fumes, fumes, fumes!!!

It's definitley worth doing. I'm definitely glad I got rid of my two 10" JL's in the big box taking up to whole rear cargo area!

Cool Things are looking up

Thanks for the offer. I will start working on Autocad this week. Its more like home play right now since I dont use it anymore.
    Will do my friend. Autocad 2002 Ok? Do you need a 3D or 2D drawing?

How about AutoCAD 2004?

Just got it on my computer so I had to say something

Cool

hEY rADIOLOGUE,
    When you get a chance would you kindly write up the instructions ? I really want one to finish up my b4 I run out of money

James

I did a simple search on the internet for fiberglass, fiberglass enclosures, fabrication etc. and found sites that discussed their experience with fiberglass.

It is actually a very simple but time consuming process. You can buy the woven glass and resin from Walmart. All you do is cover the spare tire with something to keep the resin off of it. Most people advocate using plastic. I used wide masking tape lightly coated in WD-40 (cover the entire tire and wheel and then spray with WD-40). I think the tape is easier to mold to the shape you desire and will stay in place (its not that hard to get off either). You then cut your woven glass into small strips that are easier to handle. I cut mine into thin trapezoidal shapes so that that it was like putting the fiberglass down like you would place pieces of a pie together (but with overlapping edges). This technique works well for circular fabrication. You then place each strip separately covering/soaking it in resin as you go. It is very messy, so you better think ahead and have all of your supplies that you will need all ready set up (with extra brushes, containers, acetone, eye protection...) I did a layer of fiberglass a day allowing each layer to cure in between.

You must repeat the process several times, adding layers to get the fiberglass thick enough for the job. I opted to use MDF for the front of the enclosure as my pictures showed. I just fiberglassed the MDF to the fiberglass mold of my spare tire/wheel and covered the MDF with resin. Allow it to cure for a couple of days and finish off the details (cutting holes, placement of a speaker mount, wiring, polyfill...)

Again, it's not hard--just a pain in the rumpuss.
    Last edited by Radiologue : 05/02/2003 at 02:34 PM