Thread: Rattle under dash

Rattle under dash

After tightening rear door, and this and that my VX is super quiet when hitting bumps. I do now hear a rattle under my dash when on rough road which is annoying. When I press on the dash exactly above the tach cluster it stops. Question I have is, how hard is it to get under there or better yet, remove the top
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

It would be easier to go in from the front - actually, you'll have to remove the gauge cluster anyway to remove the dash pad - maybe you can get at the source of your noise that way? To remove the bezel and cluster is only about a 15 minute job - but the repair manual calls for something like 2.5 hours to remove the dash - it would be worth a try to see if you can get at it from the front!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Arrow

Any kind of rattle is enough to drive you NUTZ after a while specially after you've done all the other work.
    Go for the Bezel Assy., 15 minutes beats 2.5 hours anytime in my book.
    John

god knows you're right about rattles driving you nuts.

I've had one in the back right quarter panel that to this day I've been unable to track down. Very fustrating problem. I also have 3 distinct rattles coming from my dash. I have the "run of the mill" high pitched rattle when sitting at idle. The fan rattle when I've got it turned up, and then under heavy acceleration I've got another rattle that I haven't quite traced down to being in the cabin or in the engine compartment.

Its definitely driving me bonkers though, so I feel your pain.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Thanks to all of you for your replies, oh and sharing the pain

I know exactly where the rattle is, when it happens; I just push on the top of the dash 4 inches forward of the speedo and it's gone. I feel that once I get inside I will have no problem isolating (literally) the issue.

To those with rattle in back, I loosened the rear door latch and pushed it back to make for a tighter fit. I also put more than just a little foam under the tire iron thingy stashed in the rear right panel. That solved my rear rattle issues. The VX looks like a $40k car, it feels like a $40K car but the rattling removes $15k of that. Besides, it's just annoying. Good luck you guys out there and thanks again for the beta.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan_VX
    god knows you're right about rattles driving you nuts.

I've had one in the back right quarter panel that to this day I've been unable to track down. Very fustrating problem.
    Its definitely driving me bonkers though, so I feel your pain.
    I have this same clunk/rattle in my rear quarter. I actually gave up on trying to find it myself and took it to the stealership -wouldn't you know it, the truck was perfectly silent when we were driving it around. Mine rattles less when I have a full tank of gas, I'm starting to think that it's a loose gas tank strap or something.

I'll have to get my hands on a trunk monkey for some on-road diagnostics.

Mine doesn't rattle when its cold, only when it warms up. I haven't been able to work on it all winter because it wont happen when its like 20 degrees outside. Now that its warming up, I'm determined to find the problem even if I have to rip apart the whole rear end (I already have once unsuccessfully)