Thread: After market exhaust in MA

After market exhaust in MA

Just had my VX inspected in the People's Republic of MA. I was informed that starting next year only OEM exhaust systems will pass. So that raises the question as to how and the dickens I'm going to get by with a supercharger given that the OEM exhaust can't handle it. I recall that someone in Japan had a rather slick looking OEM-like exhaust system. Ideas appreciated.

Scott
    Scott

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Scott,
    How much improvement did you notice w/ aftermarket exhaust & what did you use? I'm supercharged (well,actually my VX is) running original exhaust.
    I noticed an appreciable gain on the butt dyno. after installing c/f intake & cone filter, but I'm having trouble deciding which muffler/exhaust to go with.
    Yeah, more power is good, but I don't like drawing undue attention with a loud exhaust note.
    Thx,Ldub

There are several United States Acts are already in place that allow aftermarket exhausts and other modifications (Like the SC is CARB approved with the stock airbox in place). A muffler change can NOT be reason to fail an inspection and certainly not an emissions test since it does NOT affect emissions in any way. Too loud, on other hand, is subject to control by local agencies.

Scott,
    This sounds like it might become a "pissing contest" between you and the DMV in Mass.
    I have never heard of a state not passing(other than noise restrictions) a vehicle because it had a modified exhaust system. As long as the VX passes emission standards there should be no questions.
    (Otherwise buy an acre in Vermont where we don't have those problems..JK)

I would make a phone call to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and get the real scoop on what's going to happen now before it gets nasty.
    John

Hey Scott,
    Are you using the stock air box like Tone says? And if so did you happen to keep the oem? If you didn't and need one to use for the Inspection let me know I still got mine here. I can just feel it coming to RI. I had a 300ZX turbo that I had moded and the cops tried to give me a ticket for it. I fought the ticket went to court armed with video of Harley that run straight pipes. When I showed the video to the judge and explain that even police officers that had harleys with straight pipes it was thrown out. I didn't even have to pay court cost. I beleive that RI is trying to change the loud exhaust laws but since alot of RI have harleys I can't see that happen anytime soon.

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

Register it in NH like everyone else....

Former massachusetian

Jon

I do recall reading a few months ago about MA putting this law into affect. It is specifically for noise ordinance, but to make it fair to all exhausts, they had to pass it on ANY aftermarket exhaust. That really blows. I dont think that council really thought that one over very well. I dont know how this can be beat without a torch and pitchfork rally.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Seems like we could get some place like a trophy shop to stencil the isuzu logo on it and they would have a tough time showing that it wasn't an OEM part.

Great ideas but I can't register it out of state, etc. Tony, I have the OEM air box and thanks but I'm running a K&N intake (By the way, my boy remembers you!). The "muffler" is the original PV (not version 2). I watched the inspection and noticed that one of the guys literally went underneath the car to affirm that the muffler was not stock. Oh, on another note, I was under the impression that the OEM exhaust with an SC was contraindicated...Tone? Anyway, MA has been making noise about this issue since last year. I had been turned away from one inspection station when they realized I had an after market muffler stating that they would need to call the Registry of Motor Vehicles to perform a sound test on the exhaust or, I they could just forget I was there and take my VX to someplace else. No lie. Things are getting a little crazy here and it's not like the PV is making THAT much noise. Sheesh.

Scott

Thumbs down

OK, am I way off base here? If this law is interpreted literally, then you have to close all the aftermarket muffler shops like Midas & others?
    State laws, what ever became of common sense?

My take on this is that MA wants to identify CARS that have aftermarket mufflers that make more noise than the OEM exhausts. If you have a Harley then the great state of MA waves you on. Inspections will have decibel meters to measure exhaust noise. Such is the life of the MA resident.

Scott

Go to the Getty station in medford...they could give 2 you-know-whats. I had them inspect my car and they gave me a sticker even though i had alaskan plates which i was told by my insurance guy in alaska would "never happen" good luck!

I am sooo glad they don't have ANY type of vehicle inspections in this part of the great white north.
    Yeah, the long cold winters are a drag, but there are a few good things about the place that keep me & the rest of the "frozen few" here.
    My favorite experience w/ vehicle inspections (when I lived Kona) went like this:
    Me:Can I get my truck inspected ?
    Insp.: Does everything work ?
    Me: Yep
    Insp.:OK, here you are sir.
    O.C. if you read this, that was Patel's in Kealakekua or Kainaliu,I can't remember which.
    Sorry to ramble on...the coffee's start'n to kick in now,mid teen's outside,...think I'll stay in.
    Ldub