Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: E85 in the VX? Trooper? Rodeo? Axiom?

E85 in the VX? Trooper? Rodeo? Axiom?

Has anyone dared to put a tank (or half a tankful) of E85 into their vehicle to see how well it ran?

(E85 = fuel that is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline)

I know officially the vehicle only supports E10 (10% Ethanol, 90% gasoline) but I have heard success stories from other folks running E85 (not Isuzu) once the Engine Computer adjusts to it.

(I'm talking about vehicles NOT approved by the manufacturer for E85).

So, has anybody tried it in their Isuzu? Know of any issues?

Nate

Lightbulb

E85 is a very different fuel from ~10% blends and requires a number of modifications. If you were going to convert you might as well go 100% ethanol, since it's about that much of a change. You'd be looking at mostly the fuel delivery system, all Viton o-rings and seals, higher-flow injectors, all stainless fuel rail and possibly ECU programming.

I've looked extensivley into a 100% ethanol conversion on one of my VX's or XR4Ti's, but can't start until our new home is built which will give me the room to setup for ethanol production.

Here's a good page with a lot of ethanol and E85 info: http://journeytoforever.org/
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Joe's gonna start a still!!!
    Scott / moncha.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    Joe's gonna start a still!!!
    LOL! Believe it or not, the Federal permit I'm getting is about $35 (IIRC) and allows me to produce up to 10,000 gallons of 190 proof ethanol per year. You can get permitted to produce up to 500,000 a year, but the inspection requirements are significantly more stringent. Since I currently use between 45 and 70 gallons of gasoline a month now, 10,000 a year should do fine. Due to energy density differences between gasoline and ethanol usage for a 100% ethanol vehicle is about 15 - 25% more by volume. But considering how clean it is to produce and use, couple with a total production cost of about $.60 a gallon after tax credits, the increased consumption still beats gasoline and diesel hands down.

ATF Fuel Producer Permit

The best thing about the ethanol is that when stored properly it doesn't go bad like gasoline or diesel. You just need to be mindful it doesn't absorb a lot of moisture (water) which lowers its proof. Then again, if you get water in the fuel system is has absolutely no ill effect on how the engine runs.

It just boggles the mind that the entire world could run without gasoline and hardly anyone knows or is willing to do anything about it.

Just curious on what you think the total estimated cost of the conversion would be...

Just curious as to how you will produce the ethanol
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Well if it doesnt work out, you can always take the left over and corner the market in Limoncello and other infused spirit cordials...

:homer:
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Well joe, forget the replacing al the seals bit, cause all seals worldwide have been modified when leadfree came on the market and these will do just fine, all vehicles after 1993 that is, so one excuse less not try it!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

That's gonna have to be your next HowTo, Joe_Black! If you're the pioneer, I might just take the plunge also. Yeah, that's right... I'll be living in my geodesic dome, with solar and wind power, driving my ethanol vehicle... I'll be like a Joe_Black clone! hahaha
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Talking

LOL! Well, now that I've finally got my crane I can get started on construction which means everything else will start falling into place. Although I'll more than likely convert one of the Merkurs to 100% ethanol first and use it for the daily driver to verify everything before tackling the VX.

Is this really a viable option?? Do you know anyone who is doing this now? I would love to see one of these vahicles and/or distilleries in operation. You have definitely gotme interested now. Come on, give us some good, hard first hand evidence that this might be realistic in the next few years. $450 a month in gas is killing me. Yes, I drive alot.

Thanks,
    Neal

The way gas prices are rising here in the Netherlands, I guess
    it won't be long before everyone is back on foot again.

How does ethanol affect performance?
    Steve

hey man, you guys got indy cars runnin' on that stuf.

The Vehicles so far....

Vehicle List..Click..

Isuzu's only entry...

Click Me...
    Last edited by VCrossfan : 09/01/2005 at 09:25 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"