Thread: Extra bolts/washers...where do they go?

Extra bolts/washers...where do they go?

This afternoon I glued the headlight gaskets back in place. (Thanks for all the helpful posts in the archives on that topic.) To get the headlights out I had to take off the front cladding and grill. Not too much of a problem after I found all the hidden bolts. My problem happened when I was putting it all back together. In the end I had two washers that have a smaller center that won't allow the bolts to pass completly through. I wasn't paying enough attention when I took everything apart and I don't know where they came from. Anybody know?

I never took the headlight out to reglue the gasket...I just glued the gasket back to the headlight.

Those washer I beleive go to the top parts of the grill. If you can get a picture to show exactly what they look like I could be able to tell you more.

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

SPAZZ,
    I used the Super 3M adhesive that you put on both sides, let dry, etc. and there is really no room to work around the headlight with everything in place.

TDAWG,

By the looks of it all four bolts on top of the grill have washer marks around them. I think I'm looking for two spots where there are no washer marks. I'll see about posting a pic later today...not sure how to do it in this forum anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by JimRori
    I'll see about posting a pic later today...not sure how to do it in this forum anymore...
    Go to the GALLERY and then to the "Gallery Links" on the menu, scroll down to "Upload Photos", browse to the photo you want to upload, click Upload/Submit. If you want to upload more than one photo at a time, you can enclose the photos in "Zip" file and upload that then go throught the rest of the steps. if you need help there is a help link on the upload page.

You can find more info HERE. Look to the bottom of the list.
    Last edited by Moncha : 03/20/2005 at 11:16 AM
    Scott / moncha.com

Here's a pic of the two different kinds of washers. --Scott, thanks for the photo help!

After I put the front end together, I was left with two of the smaller inner diameter washers (and two bolts) and two holes in the top of the grill, but I don't think these two odd-balls go there. I guess I put two of the larger inner diameter washers in the wrong place. But where...?

I don't think I am doing any damange, but I like to put things back together the right way.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Look underneath at the bottom of the cladding. They probably ended up there. The four shouldered across the top w/ larger inner diameter washers are that way so they can get tight without squishing/ tearing the plastic.
    Ldub

That might be the place, thanks! There are two bolt holes in the bottom, middle of the cladding. The cladding was actually loose at the bottom when I took the cladding off. I asumed that the dealer didn't put it back together right when they did some work earlier.