Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Todays Press Release from Isuzu

That may be, but it doesn't look like a Colorado at all from the front. Much more like a Frontier. That IS the Frontier front end. And my question is this - why does GM need any help designing anything?

If Isuzu basically built it, they should have come to market with it first. Perception is reality for a lot of folks. It may be an Isuzu with Chevy badges on it, but the fact that it wore Chevy badges first means that in effect, an Isuzu variant will just be a Chevy with Isuzu badges on it to lots of people. That makes Chevy look good, not Isuzu. If Isuzu keeps acting second-rate, they will always be second-rate. Add to that the fact that it has that Frontier-looking front end that will foster a notion that the Isuzu is a mere copycat, and a bad one at that. There's no attempt at all to make it a little different and hide what it is. And who copied who with the fender cladding on some of those Frontiers, hmmm? From a marketing standpoint, I think it is about as pathetic as it gets. Restructuring or not, right now they look BAD.

David...
    100% in agreement here with you !!!!!!!!!!!
    Isuzu should not be playing second fiddle to anyone. The only reason they might be doing this is to get out of their financial hole...but it might turn around and bite them in the butt sooner or later.
    In my opinion Isuzu makes one hell of a tough little product and they should be standing on their own. Just my 4 cents
    John

Wink

This is the look to be sold in the States:
    http://www.isuzunewsbureau.com/

Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 04/07/2005 at 06:19 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Okay, here's the DMax lineup that will eventually make it here...

And a few of the other SUV models slated to make their US deput upon the official return of Isuzu to these shores (rather than rebadged recall-generating GM garbage)...

Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

When these babies get here, I'll be there...
    after all the Rodeo can't live forever
    John

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I like 'em, I hope that Isuzu has the sense to offer them with a V8 though.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I like 'em, I hope that Isuzu has the sense to offer them with a V8 though.
    V8? Nope, intercooled turbodiesels! You gotta remember that Isuzu makes the worlds best diesels.

You and I both know that, but it has been proven time and again that Americans are not ready for diesels.

If they want to ever be hot sellers they have to offer the consumer (the perception of) power.

I suppose we can let the Liberty's new CR diesel test the waters first.

Quote Originally Posted by CIATexan
    I love how it says, a return to its roots....HAHA right, they took the Cheby colorado and put a different grill on it....
    Maybe I'm just having a really bad day (shop's at least a week backed up and I'm getting sold units dumped on me left and right) but really, if you're going to try and burn Isuzu for rebadging the Colorado you really should do a little research.

Unlike the Ascender, which is a GM product, the Colorado, at heart, is an Isuzu product. Isuzu does not produce the Colorado but the majority of the development work for the Colorado was done by Isuzu. Colorado may roll off a GM line but it's just a rebadged Isuzu for all intents and purposes.

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of revolutionary designs out of Isuzu in the near future. They're concentrating on the development of their new line of d-engines. The development of their new engines will be much more lucrative to Isuzu than the manufacture and sales of light passenger vehicles.
    Don Viner
    Sunset Isuzu
    6211 L Street
    Omaha, NE 68117
    O - (402) 733-2227 ext 214
    F - (402) 733-0395
    M - (402) 505-2147
    don@sunsetisuzu.com
    http://www.sunsetmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclid
    That may be, but it doesn't look like a Colorado at all from the front. Much more like a Frontier. That IS the Frontier front end. And my question is this - why does GM need any help designing anything?
    GM not need help with designs? Since when?

Isuzu doesn't have manufacturing capability in the United States any longer. Importing vehicles isn't really an option unless the chicken tax gets repealed. They could build them in Japan and import them, but they'd pay a hefty tax that would basically make them non-competitive on the US market.

So why not get manufacturing capability in the US? Even at their best, Isuzu only sold a hundred thousand or so vehicles annually in the US. Today, it's far, far lower. It would take quite a few years of substantial losses to rebuild their US market all the while spending a lot of money keeping a plant open. It's easier to buy excess inventory from another manufacturer and rebadge.

anyone who has seen the pics of the Isuzu America meet knows that isuzu has some outstanding designs but I guess that someone up the corprate ladder thinks it too much work to stay outside the box. The VX, VXC, VX2 are all outside the box but due to sales and gremlins it may not be worth it.

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

Tony I agree with your thoughts about Isuzu 100%.
    As for as Don's comments about Isuzu's lucrative design and development concentration...this may be very very true Don but....(and this is where I get ugly)
    Nothing againts you Don but Isuzu's major malfunction over the last four, five, six years have been caused by careless attitudes from Isuzu dealers who would rather replace a $600.00 part than try to do an honest day's work and keep the customers happy.
    A lot of people jumped off the Isuzu bandwagon to other brands because they kept getting sc**ed by dealerships...NOT because the product was bad (far from it) but because the service sucked!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by thebear54
    ...but Isuzu's major malfunction over the last four, five, six years have been caused by careless attitudes from Isuzu dealers who would rather replace a $600.00 part than try to do an honest day's work and keep the customers happy.
    This is everywhere, not just Isuzu. It's a product of the disposable society that we live in. It's cheaper to replace a part than it is to pay a tech $60 an hour to troubleshoot and repair a part that might just need to be replaced anyways.

...NOT because the product was bad (far from it) but because the service sucked!
    I've already run into this at a dealership. When I asked the service manager why my 40k mile shattered swaybar endlink was not covered under warranty, I got this response: "...I'll check if you want me too, but the Isuzu rep doesn't even come around anymore, so don't expect too much to happen..."
    It's a $30 dollar part -no big deal, but his attitude and indifference to my complaint was just too much. I invited him to play a tune on my hairy bagpipe and haven't been back since.

I'll give Don my business from now on.

I think I've mentioned this before but Isuzu is generally considered a Tier 2 or 3 franchise. In other words, most dealerships won't stock a large inventory of parts, nor new vehicles, nor have technicians who are extremely familiar with the nuances of their vehicles. The blame doesn't really lay with Isuzu... a hundred thousand vehicles or so annually at their best wouldn't bump them up to prime-time. They've always been a tier 2/tier 3 franchise and probably always will, despite everything that they have had in their favor in years gone by.

Which is too bad. Isuzu products are unbeatable in my opinion. I've seen Troopers with almost 300,000 miles come in on recall campaigns that run and drive better than most of the domestics we have roll through our shop.

Most dealerships don't intentionally screw over their customers. It doesn't pay. A customer screwed by a dealer's shop is less likely to purchase a car from the dealership, which amounts to cutting their own throat for future warranty/retail work. And service (and parts, to a degree) is the lifeblood of any new car dealership. New car sales are nothing more than icing on the cake. If I were to tell you how much we actually make when we sell a brand new fully loaded Ascender, your jaw would probably hit the ground. And not because we're making a killing... We have to sell on average two Ascenders to make the same as we do off one used vehicle.

Granted there are little extras. If we sell 12 units in a month, we get money back from the manufacturer. But there are only a handful of Isuzu dealerships that can do that, and in our market it'll probably never happen no matter how hard we try.

Bottom line, whether it's Ford or Isuzu or GM... parts and service is the number one source of income, and that income is fueled by the purchase of new vehicles. Screwing over shop customers is equivalent to cutting your own dealership's throat. Not saying that it doesn't happen. It does. It's just not as common as everyone seems to think it is.

Nothing againts you Don but Isuzu's major malfunction over the last four, five, six years have been caused by careless attitudes from Isuzu dealers who would rather replace a $600.00 part than try to do an honest day's work and keep the customers happy.
    A lot of people jumped off the Isuzu bandwagon to other brands because they kept getting sc**ed by dealerships...NOT because the product was bad (far from it) but because the service sucked!
    John

This is everywhere, not just Isuzu. It's a product of the disposable society that we live in. It's cheaper to replace a part than it is to pay a tech $60 an hour to troubleshoot and repair a part that might just need to be replaced anyways.
    I personally believe that shop labor rates are getting far too steep. Some dealerships in the local area have hit 94 bucks an hour on their retail labor rates. And those aren't electrical diagnosis rates, which can range anywhere from a hundred to 125 an hour.

I've already run into this at a dealership. When I asked the service manager why my 40k mile shattered swaybar endlink was not covered under warranty, I got this response: "...I'll check if you want me too, but the Isuzu rep doesn't even come around anymore, so don't expect too much to happen..."
    It's a $30 dollar part -no big deal, but his attitude and indifference to my complaint was just too much. I invited him to play a tune on my hairy bagpipe and haven't been back since.
    I have a hard time believing the Isuzu ZPSM doesn't "come around anymore". Perhaps this is another zone ZPSM, but I know *our* ZPSM is top-notch. Does he come around a lot? No. Can I call him on his cell and either get hold of him immediately or at least know he'll call me back fairly quickly if he's not available? Yes.

And Isuzu is pretty good, in my opinion, about "goodwill" coverage. No, they're not going to cover everyone and everything, but given the right circumstances they'll go out of their way to help an Isuzu owner.

I'll give Don my business from now on.
    Well, I have to admit I'm not the end all, be all of Isuzu service. In fact, I'm probably one of the worst P&S Managers amongst Isuzu dealerships. Not only do I *not* have any prior parts and service experience of any kind, I'm swamped. In other words, a lot of times things that need to get done for customers, don't. Which is why I started putting together our parts website -- it takes us out of the loop for the most part and lets customers deal -- at least indirectly -- with Isuzu itself.

It wasn't originally supposed to be this way at our dealership. We went into this with a parts counterperson (myself), a parts and service manager, a service advisor and a service tech. We quickly found out that that wasn't going to work out. We just don't have a big enough Isuzu market here to produce the kind of income to support a full staff.

Now I'm the parts counterperson, parts driver, service advisor, parts and service manager, and sometimes act in a general manager-like capacity when dealing with Isuzu. Throw in my responsibility of managing the computer network, dealing with internet vendors like autotrader.com and cars.com, and putting out fires (crisis situations), and I've got *no* time.

This all goes back to the reason Isuzu is a tier 2/tier 3 franchise. Outside of a major Isuzu market like KC, Saint Louis, etc., you just can't support a well-managed full-service facility without more popular franchises. A dealership has to have deep pockets to provide itself with a staff capable of addressing customer concerns. On the flip side of the coin, multiple-franchise dealerships are going to focus the majority of their attention to the most profitable franchises, which Isuzu wouldn't be at most dealerships. (Again, not because of product, but because of market share.)

All that said, I don't know of any other parts & service manager like myself. I'm never off work. Parts & Service calls are forwarded to my cell phone 24/7. I've taken parts calls at one o'clock in the morning and service calls later in the morning than that. If I get a customer's order messed up (and it does happen more often than I'd like) I go out of my way to correct the problem any way I can. I've driven to KC to pick up a $30 part in order to get it delivered to a shop on the day I promised rather than make the customer wait until the next day for an overnight drop-ship. It's little (well, actually big things, considering I don't have time to do this kind of stuff) things like this that I think a lot of dealership's service facilities are lacking. It seems to me that people think of their jobs as JUST jobs, and do only what's absolutely required. Anything more and you can expect a polite f-you and please call again.

I've always thrown myself into my work with almost a fanatical zeal. Maybe that's just me and I'm a glutton for punishment. I do know that the majority of my customers appreciate it.

Dayam, too long of a post...