Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: European Driving Question

[QUOTE=LukeVX]Hello my friends,

I will be traveling to England and France on my late honeymoon (had to save up the money, Married 1/1/05) on June 15.

I just went through the rental process to get a car in Italy. One of the things you must be aware of is that there are insurance costs in Europe that you don't normally have here in the US. These plus the taxes, road charges, etc., can more than double the quoted price.

Also there are some hefty deductibles involved. In some cases your US insurance and credit card company will help cover you -- but if you do have an accident you will be responsible for paying for the repairs and then collecting them from the credit company. If the car gets stolen, that could be a back breaker.

I did find an outfit that had competitive prices all over Europe and their insurance coverage had a ZERO deductible. They also were offering free upgrades, cell phones, etc., in certain countries. I'd give them a look before making any decisions.

http://www.autoeurope.com/index.cfm

DK

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Best advise ever: (found via Google)
    "If you are planning to visit the UK and happen to come from one of the many countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the following advice, direct from the Ministry of Transport, is for you:

“Visitors are informed that in the United Kingdom traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road. In the interests of safety, you are advised to practise this in your country of origin for a week or two before driving in the UK.”"

Really only about 1/3 of the world's population drives on the left side of the road, I still stand by my statement that the majority of American drivers are terrible however.

I must agree that Americans in general are terrible drivers. Anyone who has travelled outside the country has probably noticed that most drivers from other countries drive like absolute maniacs but yet, you hardly ever seen major accidents...
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers