Thread: Keyless Remote Range

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keyless Remote Range

I just got my new piece of VX sweetness a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's the battery in my keyless remote, but I don't seem to get very far range with my remote. Really I can only get to about one step from the back of the car to use it. Should I change the battery or is this regular for the car?

You'll find the answer to this question in this post and probably others in the How To's Section.
    You can find lots more sections aka Modules in the dropdown menu in the Main Links block in the upper left corner.

Welcome even if it's been said before and enjoy your baby!! I love mine!!
    Scott / moncha.com

Lightbulb On Purpose?

I'm wondering if the remote was designed to have a short range on purpose.

I'm forever unlocking my door as I walk away from the truck and shove the keys down into the pocket of my jeans. The type of button it has pushes very easily by accident (takes almost no pressure at all).

I usually carry the keys in my hand for about 20 ft then stick them in my pocket. If it worked far away (50 or 60 ft or more) then I'd have to carry them a very long ways.

Of course the short range is a pain when I'm approaching the truck, especially from the rear, and I have to be right up on it for it to work.

Possibly a remote with one of those membrane type buttons, that you really have to "push" to make work would have been a better design.

Anyways for the most part I'm glad it has a short range because it makes unlocking by accident less likely.

Oh ... and sometimes when I get in the car and am taking the steering wheel lock (the club) off I squeeze the remote slightly by accident and then the "panic alarm" squeals at me til I get my hands free and close the door.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I'm forever unlocking my door as I walk away from the truck and shove the keys down into the pocket of my jeans. The type of button it has pushes very easily by accident (takes almost no pressure at all).
    I have this same problem. In fact, I list this as the single most annoying feature of the car.

Rather than spend time stacking batteries and rearranging antenna wire, I'm just putting on an aftermarket unit with more features and a better designed remote.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I'm wondering if the remote was designed to have a short range on purpose...because it makes unlocking by accident less likely.
    This shouldn't be issue. Mine automatically re-locks after 30 seconds if I don't open the driver's door. I have had it re-lock while trying to get my grandson situated in the passenger seat. So, if you had a really long range remote, you might not make it to the car before it re-locks. Of course, having to be right next to it to unlock is kind of ridiculous. I need to do the antenna mod. Tucking it under your chin works, too, but looks silly.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

You think the range on our remote is short? I drive a Ford Escape (Patrol Vehicle) on a daily basis and I literally have to be no less than 10 feet before it's remote will work. Comparing the two, I'd take the VX's any day.

There is alway the forehead technique

mbeach, I did the same. I went aftermarket after blowing up my unit while trying to modify it.. OOOOPS!

Hey Scott,
    It's Ford's way of making sure someone can't use a code grabber for your escape. LMAO

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

The 30-second relock works great for me. If I have any doubt that I locked it, I just hit the button again and forget about it, because I know that if it unlocks, its only for 30 seconds. The chance of someone stealing the car in those 30 seconds is effectively zero.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Yes, the passive rearm is handy, but does this happen to anyone else:

You unlock the car (with the remote), then you open the rear door (with the key), load stuff in the back, and had the alarm rearm itself while you were loading up.

It's pretty obvious that the rear door is not protected by the factory alarm, or is this just my VX that does this?