Thread: Summer Skins On!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Smile Summer Skins On!

Finally got the tires & wheels on, had to order deeper ctr. caps, but here's what it looks like so far.
    Found out during installation that I had a slightly loose front wheel bearing, without this site & all the member contributions of how-to's & general VX knowledge I would have had a he11 of a time figuring out 4wd front hubs, which I've never had apart before. It's a huge asset to be part of such a great community!
    Thanks all, Ldub
    Last edited by Moncha : 04/10/2005 at 08:40 PM Reason: Fixed formatting

Looks good man, are those Centerline wheels?
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Thumbs up

Thanks MT, yes, Centerline Tomahawk "Rapid" w/ Hankook Ventus ST (265/50x20)

How do you like the Hankooks? I am deciding between those and the new Nitto 420s. Any feedback yet? I like the simple design of the wheels and they look good tucked a little, what offset did you end up getting?

Thumbs up

LOVE IT! looks GREAT!

Not sure of the exact offset as no specs on C-line site, but the tread is dead even w/ the top of the fenderwell. The sidewall sticks out a little (maybe an inch) Too early to tell on the tires, but they seem to grip well. I was expecting a much harsher ride w/ lower sidewall section, but it doesn't seem much worse than the 265/70x16's.Also the Hankooks were way less expensive than any other brand I could find.

Thumbs up

Thanks Cyrk,
    That means a lot since you are partially to "blame". I was going to leave the "Silver Bullet" mostly stock until I saw pics of that sweet red s/c of yours.That & about a zillion other mods I've seen around here put the hook in me bad! Now the mods are kind of "snowballing" down a seemingly VERY steep slope. Is there a 12 step program for this addiction??? I hope not!
    Ldub

Smile

My friend there is not...

For the 265/50's, did you go with the 8" or 8.5" Rapids? The back spacing is the same for both widths (5"), but I'm curious which width aligned better with the fender.

Looks sharp!

Yes, awsome!

Smile

Thanks guys,
    I went with the 8 inch. If you're looking at these on the Centerline site, look under "wheel deals" I thought the price wasn't too bad for 20".($149+20 shipping ea.)
    Just took her in today to have the output shaft (rear) replaced...hopefully the last of the vibration. I'm not liking having it in the shop till Fri.
    Ldub
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/12/2005 at 06:10 AM

what are the vx's bolt patterns? mine is 99 vx with 16'' wheels.
    blue HID head light, custom license plate "GOVEHIX", Pro M mass air flow, black safari light bar from Tone, PIAA 194 fog light intalled, PIAA 550 fog light lamp installed, custom bull bar extention installed, Levoc ultra metal pedal set, Bioharzard sticker at the rear glass, Recaro red cellphone holder and razo steer cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    Finally got the tires & wheels on, had to order deeper ctr. caps, but here's what it looks like so far.
    Found out during installation that I had a slightly loose front wheel bearing, without this site & all the member contributions of how-to's & general VX knowledge I would have had a he11 of a time figuring out 4wd front hubs, which I've never had apart before. It's a huge asset to be part of such a great community!
    Thanks all, Ldub
    damn...alittle off the topic but the grill is SEXY. where did u get the grill?
    ________
    Medical Marijuana Seeds
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 04:04 PM

Arrow

GOVEHIX, 6 x 5.5", get a wheel w/ the large centerbore. On the Centerline site, I used Toyota truck/suv as the model since they don't list Isuzu.

MZ-N10, OT?, I don't mind. The grill is a prototype I made out of plain old expanded metal painted silver & held in place w/ stainless threaded rod which was fastened to the stock grill w/ nuts & fender washers. I also dressed out the edge w/ black door edge moulding to prevent scratching.
    It's a case of form following function, as I was mainly trying to protect the driving lights from rocks.(I've already replaced 2 of the rectangular ones due to rock damage)
    I'm looking for a source for the chromed wire mesh like they use in some of the Kenworth truck grilles to fab the final product out of.
    Ldub
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/12/2005 at 03:51 PM

Thumbs up Still O.T.

I can't believe it...on my way home from work I happened to notice a Kenworth shop, sooo, being the enterprising fellow that I am, I proceeded to go dumpster diving.
    Guess what I found?...yep, the exact grill material I was looking for. One section unblemished & the other somewhat bent, but still useable for the smaller openings.
    I'll post kodaks when done.