Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking at a black '99 Vx

well the offer stands... it sounds like you didnt get an effective test drive out of it though.

Let me knoiw if you want to see mine.
    2000 Black VX 105k

There is a 99 ebony here in Omaha with only 37,000 miles for 15,???. It's in excellent shape. I think you could definately find a better deal than the one you checked out. It's well worth it getting a nicer one, take your time and spend a few more dollars and I'm sure if you find one somewhere where there is a site member they would probably be willing to check it out and let you know if it's worth making a trip yourself!

i really appreciate all the replies, i'm really just concerned with the longevity of the powertrains. I've been looking at 2001 jeep cherokees, and they have pretty bulletproof motors and trannys and that's a big selling point for me.

I also hate that isuzu customer service and dealer service seem to suck badly from the things i've read on this forum. But this isn't a huge concern, as i'm pretty mechanically inclined

But i didn't think about flying out and buying the car and driving it back, i might consider that if i find one i like

Fred:
    Many Isuzu's have been known to go for miles and miles.
    If you were/are a Honda or Toyota owner *** (for example), then the reliability worries might be understandable. However - the Vehicross is probably in the same 'relative neighbohood' as a Jeep Cherokee (a decent vehicle btw) as far as reliabily is concerned.
    I believe the VX transfercase is designed and manufactured by Borg Warner - and is very similar to the transfer cases in many other similar vehicles .... Ford Explorer ...... Kia Sorrento ....
    Customer and dealer service can be a nightmare and/or almost non-existent - for some that is a risk they are willing to assume to own a unique, limited production vehicle.
    ***note that you don't see too many vehicles similar to a VX from Honda or Toyota.

Not to be abrasive (god knows I worry about that) but the transmissions on jeeps are sketchy at best.

My 1993 Trooper with the 4L30E had a bulletproof tranny. Needed a rebuild at 210k after one service at 120k. Ancedotal, but relevant.

University Isuzu in Durham has worked with my on my IMG. Had no problems out of them on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan_VX
    Not to be abrasive (god knows I worry about that) but the transmissions on jeeps are sketchy at best.

My 1993 Trooper with the 4L30E had a bulletproof tranny. Needed a rebuild at 210k after one service at 120k. Ancedotal, but relevant.

University Isuzu in Durham has worked with my on my IMG. Had no problems out of them on that.
    you're probably right with respect to some jeep trannys, but i'm referring specifically to the AW4 tranny in chereokees manufactured by Aisin. It has proven itself a bulletproof tranny since its introduction in the cherokees over a decade ago.

^^i didn't know the TC was a Borg Warner, very nice

Also ....
    I believe the 4L30E is a GM unit - made in France ? ...... did someone say this unit is made in France ? ........
    Tone supplied a chart that showed other applications for the 4L30E .... I believe a BMW 3 Series was on the chart ......... I think that is a good thing ...... hmmmm .......

yeah it was used in the chevelle too :P

and not the fast version heh.