Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a black '99 Vx

Looking at a black '99 Vx

I've been in the market for a small suv lately, mostly looking at jeep cherokees. But, i actually saw a Vx at a used car lot on the road and decided to stop by and take look and drive it around. I was impressed to say the least! Exterior and interior were in great condition.

Although, it had 93,000 miles on it which didn't please me too much. The passenger side window regulator is pretty much gone(they said they'd replace that though), and it didn't wanna stay in 4lo when i engaged it. It also didn't have keyless entry(which is important to me) and i cant remember if it had cruise or not, which is also important. They were also asking a little under $12k, which seemed awfully high.

I'd like any comments or suggestions or things to look out for/be aware of, i'm interested in the Vx if it'll be worth the money. How's the longevity of the engine and tranny?? It seems like i'd be rebuilding that tranny soon with that many miles........

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    12K and 93K miles??? Sounds like you should run away from that...quickly. Take your time and look around. That one definitely screams buyer beware!
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

lol, i thought so

i wish there was an easier way to find one, i'd love to have a 00 or 01

Talking

You may have to look in other states, or perhaps just posting here that you are looking for one may prompt some responses from those selling. If you can find a 00 or 01 that has low miles can buy you some Isuzu covered warranty work if needed. Make use of the membership here if you find a VX in another state. Lots of us are very happy to go check it out for you.

Yep,, Post a request in the WANTED section and you never know.

12k is high for that many miles, fob's for the remote entry can be gotten if it hasn't been changed out and the window regulator is an inherent problem most of us have but, can be fixed, although, there is a current campian to try an force a recall.. Maybe you can work some of the repairs that you want done into the deal. But, still not at that price.

All VX's have cruise control as standard.

Keep looking, as they are out there albeit, hard to find.
    Scott / moncha.com

i've looked on ebay a little, found a nice one in VA but i'd be warry of buying a car i've never seen..........and i dont have time to drive up there

how much does it cost to ship a car :bgwg: across a few states?(i also found one in ohio)

I just bought an Ebony 99 with about 41k for $12800 with everything working PERFECTLY, and a FULL (although 30 day) warranty. I looked up your area, and the retail blue book value for that mileage is about $10,700 in FULLY RECONDITIONED shape. I live in California and found Mine in Iowa, so I will be making a road trip in the near future, but for me it's worth the trouble. You might consider doing something similar if it's worth it to you. You came to the right place though,as you know the guys at this forum are VERY helpful.

Good Luck!!!

yeah i just looked up the value as well, got the same thing

If all my other options fail me, what about offering $10k for it?? that seems about right to me, its been sitting on their lot for a few weeks with no serious lookers

Quote Originally Posted by Fred85
    yeah i just looked up the value as well, got the same thing

If all my other options fail me, what about offering $10k for it?? that seems about right to me, its been sitting on their lot for a few weeks with no serious lookers
    I would definitetly find out first what the problem is with the 4Lo. It would be a bad thing if you had to shell out serious $$ to fix it.
    Last edited by Anita : 04/11/2005 at 02:43 PM

You also might ask if they can set you up with a Universal underwriters or Ford Warranty if it gives you peace of mind. That's an option when buying from a dealer instead of a private party, as long as you get a good price.

try searching here: http://autos.yahoo.com/
    shows private sellers and dealers. there are 65 listed forsale.don't know if any are in your area? i did the search with any miles from my zip code. shawn
    1COOLVX

Hell I'm in raleigh, you can come test drive mine if you want.

I aint gonna sell it though :P

Whats up with all these people in Raleigh getting VX's?
    2000 Black VX 105k

Be sure you are attempting to engage the 4Lo properly. In order to engage it the tranny MUST be in NEUTRAL. If that was the case when you tested it then definately have them fix it or shop elsewere. The VX's transfer case is not cheap!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

^^i appreciate the offer to test drive, but one time was enough to make me a believer

^i did have it in neutral before shifting into 4lo, i'm not that big of a dummy

$12,000 with over 90k and low 4WD drive doesn't stay in? If you have a $12,000 budget you could have a good one tomorrow just through this group. And since you are in NC, just buy a one way ticket and fly there and enjoy the ride back even if it was California. Just be sure the vehicle has passed your inspection. Through this group I would trust pretty much most in what they claim selling their VX. I did mine through ebay and flew to Arizona. The vehicle was in better than I thought condition. Good luck.
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.