Quote Originally Posted by cascabel3
Sit in your car seat and rest your head all the way against the headrest or seat for that matter. Now for the left mirror, turn your head as far as you can to the left looking into the mirror. Adjust your mirror to where you can just barely see the side body of your car. Repeat this proceedure for your right side.
This is pretty similar to the technique I was taught in driver's ed many moons ago, except that I turn my head only slightly to each side, the logic being that your primary field of vision should always be generally in the direction that you are moving. We were also taught a technique for adjusting the rear view mirror that almost completely eliminates blind spots - you basically try to center it between the two side view mirrors so that there is a little bit of overlap, but even this technique leaves some blind spots. You can test this yourself by having someone stand at various spots behind and to the side of you while you sit in the driver's seat and adjust (I know because I did this while teaching my wife to drive). IMHO, "Blind spot" mirrors are the best way to widen your side view because the only blind spot that remains is immediately behind you (which can be "fixed" with van eyes or a backup camera).