Thread: steering gear worn out?!

Unhappy steering gear worn out?!

Hello there!
    I bought my Vehicross used about two years ago and loved it for the longest time. But I am having a lot of problems with it lately regarding its steering behaviour. About one year ago I noticed the steering becoming softer and less responsive. After a while it actually felt like it had a play of about 1.5 inch of turning the steering wheel without any action. My VX started to pull me sideways, depending on the road profile, sometimes all of the sudden to the right, or in worse cases all of a sudden to the left into the incoming traffic. My tires( Pirelli Scorpion P zero, R18/255/55 ) are wearing out rappidly. I had the VX re-alligned 5 times within the last 12 month, with the result that it just loosened up again after a few weeks. After many resultless allignments by different mechanics I finally found one, who was really listening to me describing the problem and started to look more into it rather than just realigning the vehicle.He said that the steering gear has a lot of play and needs to be replaced. I only drove the VX on the road and it has only 48.000 miles on it!? Does anyone else have this problem? I trust the mechanics cause he improvised tightening the steering gear up somehow (- warning me though that it is not a permanent solution!), and the car drove well for a while. But now it is slowly falling back to the old habbit.The shocking part is, he said a new steering gear cost about 1600 Dollars without the labor. Does anyone know whether I can get the part cheaper anywhere else? Is it a Vehicross speciffic part or is it the same as the Trooper steering gear? Hope to get some helpful advice from you guys. Thanks, Arne

If it's slop in the wheel, and not in the pitman shaft, it can be adjusted.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/88

-Tad

Our steering box looks like what's in Nazrat's link and adjusts the same way, but things won't look quite the same under the hood of the VX. Follow the edge of the grey plastic fan housing down the driver's side and it's toward the bottom right by that. Removing the stock airbox (3 bolts inside the airbox) is easy and makes for much better access to the steering box.

Agreed. That is an 88 Trooper steering box, but the VXs have the same style and are adjusted the same way.

-Tad

Quote Originally Posted by Arne D.
    My VX started to pull me sideways, depending on the road profile, sometimes all of the sudden to the right, or in worse cases all of a sudden to the left into the incoming traffic. My tires( Pirelli Scorpion P zero, R18/255/55 ) are wearing out rappidly.
    My VX started having this exact problem a couple months ago after moving my tires (Pirelli Scorpion Zero 285-55-18) to new stock wheels. It felt like I had loose wheels. Scary loose! When I put my snow tires on (Blizzak DM-Z3 265-60-18) it wasn't nearly as bad, but not tight like I was used to. The tread on my Zero's was below the wear indicators, so I bought four new Kumho Ecsta STX 265-60-18. The VX is now as solid and stable as new. If you can find someone to lend you a set of wheels and tires, give that a shot before you spend a lot of money to fix something that ain't broke.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

ever since I bought my VX off the showrrom floor, auto places have tried to tell me my steering box is worn out and needs replaced and thet THEY WILL GLADLY ORDER ONE AND INSTALL IT, not sure why they would think I would allow that since it would be coming out of my pocket...but, there is nothing wrong with my steering box and it has no ill effects.

Make sure it is adjusted properly and also, check your wheel bearings if these are worn out the same effect can happen...also, make sure that the tie rods are tightened properly too. Do not believe most auto body shops, I do my own maintenance on my VX and save ALOT of $$$$ and the VX is very easy to work on.

Ok, took this pic when this thread was current, previewed it on the camera and decided it was no good so I didn't post it. Pulled it up on computer and changed my mind, so here ya go...

It's in the center of the pic, adjusted at the stem and lock nut on top. Left front side of engine bay behind the fan housing.

This problem most likely is not your steering box. the usual culprits are: tie rod ends, balljoints, centerlink, or possibly the idler arm. The fact that you have uneven tire wear, and that it sometimes pulls you into traffic would suggest to me that it is something that is happening at one wheel but not the other. If you don't know what to look for, I would have the rod ends and ball joints inspected. If you have front brake problems as well, you might consider checking to make sure the wheel bearings are adjusted right.
    Just food for thought.
    Andy
    Its the thrill of the chase