Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Optima Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Well, your old battery was probably on its last legs but it still sounds as if you have a phantom load somewhere. The Blue Top is the marine flavor of Optima and not ideally suited to an automotive starting role, but will work. The Yellow Top is the automotive version of the marine Blue Top, and with either you should be able to run a light accessory such as OEM audio overnight without worry.

Definitely check your load though to see how much is being drawn with everything off, that may be what caused or helped your conventional battery to fail.
    I had read this:
    "
    Optima D31M Blue Top, D31A Yellow Top and D31T Yellow Top Batteries: The D31 series is Optima's most powerful single-unit deep cycle battery. Like all Optima batteries, the D31 series deep cycle batteries offer exceptionally high CCA for their size and boast 75 amp hours of current storage for long deep-cycling run times. The D31 deep cycle batteries will not off-gas in normal operation, but for complete safety in enclosed spaces their overpressure vent will accept a remote venting tube. If you have room for a D31 series battery, they represents the best performance/cost value on the market. They're stellar performers in virtually any deep cycle battery application, and their Spiralcell AGM construction make them tough as nails. The D31A has automotive-style (SAE) posts, the D31T has top mounted stainless steel threaded studs for flat-loop connectors, and the versatile D31M has both SAE posts and threaded studs. The difference in color between yellow and blue top batteries does not denote a performance difference. See specs & delivered price in table below.
    "

So they just have cool additional spots to hook up accessories... lol

I need to find this "leak".. i had just heard other vx owners having the issue of a dead battery if they leave the car sitting

When I had a stock Alternator and just a stock battery or even just the RedTop before I went to the 160 amp Alt and the higher power Redtop, just running the VX's radio (without an amp) for a couple hours parked then attempting to start it, it would not start.

Although, with the Redtop it would last about 4 hours verse 2 hours.

Now, with the 160 amp alt and higher power Redtop I have NO problems and never a dead battery. Although stock my VX came with a 45 amp alternator and I do believe they were suposed to come with 95 amp alternators.

Hmmm, was this a supply issue in the factory??? Hey We are out of Alternators...Hey, we have some Rodeo ones next door..ok that'll work, throw one of those in.
    Last edited by SPAZZ : 07/26/2006 at 12:13 PM Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Well, your old battery was probably on its last legs but it still sounds as if you have a phantom load somewhere. The Blue Top is the marine flavor of Optima and not ideally suited to an automotive starting role, but will work. The Yellow Top is the automotive version of the marine Blue Top, and with either you should be able to run a light accessory such as OEM audio overnight without worry.

Definitely check your load though to see how much is being drawn with everything off, that may be what caused or helped your conventional battery to fail.

I have the blue top marine batt and it works just fine. The extra posts are awesome for hooking up amps,lights,etc. Why would the blue top not be good for starting a car? Boats start the same way a car does! There was another reason for getting the blue top marine batt for me, IT WAS FREE!! So was the one I put in my brothers car. As far as there being a load , it is possible ,but if the batt was junk That was more likely your problem. shawn
    1COOLVX

I'm running a Yellow Top.

Not only is it the best battery I've ever had, but even better, it matches the color of my Proton!
    Steve

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2
    Why would the blue top not be good for starting a car?
    My statement was incorrect and based on outdated information. I've just learned that the 34M Blue Top is a 2nd generation Optima and is constructed to the same standard as the Yellow and Red Top batteries.

The original Blue Top, from what I understand, was built a little lighter (less vibration in typical marine environment) and formulated more toward a traditional deep-cycle usage curve. The popularity of this particular model in the RV market is what likely led to the improvements.

Sorry for the error on my part!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...