Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gas Cap Door

mine has needed a key to close the gas tank door since I pulled it off the showroom floor

I've always used the key. Even if I didn't need to, I would use the key. No breaky = better. Mine's a '99.

I always use the key because I always leave my keys hanging in the lock when I fill it up. After a couple of homer-doh moments with previous vehicles, I decided I like to leave my keys there because then I won't lose them while I'm doing things like cleaning the windshield or (even stupider) accidentally lock them in the car...

Arrow My fix for having to use the key

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    There's no PN (that I could find) for the lock cylinder, nor was there any provision for adjustability (just removal). Both of my gas door latches contact the edge of the trim ring unless I move them aside with the key.

I circled the interference here:
    I could not close mine without the key, so when I read that half of the owners could, I studied the latch and found that it would not push pass the inner metal ring (part #8 in previous quote). So I used a Dremel to grind almost an 1/8th of an inch off the edge. (only in the path of the latch)
    I also had to remove a tiny bit off the plastic coated latch upper corner, (right where it bends) to ease it passing through the outer ring hinge plate (part #6 in previous quote).
    NOW IT'S SMOOTH AS BUTTER!!!!

picture of gas cap door

This is the picture that shows the areas to grind for the door to close without the key as previously described.

Gringing seems like way overkill...I just rebent my latch tab with my finger (you can have it either way - key or no key).
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

If you look ( at the above picture) you can see the latch scratches the outer ring on "my" door. the inner ring sticks out into the path over an 1/8th of an inch more, if you bent the latch that much you would not have any left, if you do not like grinding, you may try loosening all the ring bolts and try moving the inner ring rearward hoping that there is enough play in the holes to do so. the latch tab springs out of the way, and only needs to be bent in enough to hold the tip of the latch. The grinding doesn't show but you could file and paint to protect from rust. I will

Talking

Is there any way to change the lock to use a different set of keys on the gas cover so that I don't need to use the car keys to open the tank? My car alarm goes off when the door gets opened after filling the tank. A real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantronix7
    Is there any way to change the lock to use a different set of keys on the gas cover so that I don't need to use the car keys to open the tank? My car alarm goes off when the door gets opened after filling the tank. A real pain.
    The lock "core" is rivited at the latch and not easy to change the pins, but if you ordered a replacement door with latch, it would come with a new key

Talking

Thanks Bulldoggie,

I searched several online parts websites but could'nt find the replacement door. Any place has them that you know of?

Thumbs up Gas Cap Key

As a Locksmith, I've changed my gas cap lock to work with its own key. It was not a hard thing to do.

Howard
    2001 Ebony 0761

How bout keepin it simple and just get a duplicate key and use it for the gas door? You're not afraid you'll leave the key in the door r u?

Someone really did a number on my door before I bought it second hand. The bolts are wrong on the ring (mine are hex head instead of torx head cap screws which means you can't tighten once the heads move below the surface), the lock is missing, and the latch plate is missing. I use a small stick to jam in the door to keep it closed. Anyone know where I can find what I need?

I just went to the dealership. I think it was like $36. Took 3 days to arrive.