Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas Cap Door

Gas Cap Door

I've seen this mentioned before and I thought it was true but it isn't: the key is not needed to close the cas cap filler door. I was in for my biannual emissions check and I had unlocked and left open the door so the gas cap could be pressure tested. I was watching the tech do the test in the side view mirror and was preparing to offer him the key to enable him to close the door when he just pushed it shut as easy as pie. I tried it later myself and sure enough, it just pushes shut like most normal cars. I have no idea why I never tried this before myself.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

I think several years ago we had a thread about this. Half of us needed the key to close the cap and the other half just needed to close it shut to lock it.

keyless closure here
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Hey Irwin...
    I know on the old '99 we still have to use the key to lock her up...it sounds like on the '00 and '01 they make a little improvement.
    John

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I need the key on both of the '01s.

I am jealous of those who don't need it.

hey...WHAT'S UP WITH THIS????
    This is really weird.... 1/2 do and 1/2 don't :wtfg:
    I'm totally corn-fused.
    John

It may not be quite a solution, but I think I've got the answer: it must be adjustable.

I know this because when I first bought my VX in 99, I could shut the gas cap door without the key. It worked this way for several years, until I needed to get some rear end body work. Ever since I got it back from the shop, I've had to use the key. However, they did not swap any parts, so I'd be willing to bet if someone gets in there and fools around a bit, there is some play in the way the latch goes together and it can be adjusted in such a way that you can close the door without the key.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    There's no PN (that I could find) for the lock cylinder, nor was there any provision for adjustability (just removal). Both of my gas door latches contact the edge of the trim ring unless I move them aside with the key.

I circled the interference here:

Got an '00 and I need the key, too

01 needing key also

01 and I need the key..

I never needed the key until I broke the door off. Now that its replaced, I need a key.

OK...I have it figured out!!!

If you don't need a key to close the gas door....IT'S BROKE

If you need a key to close the gas door....IT'S GOOD

LOL

John

thebear54 -

You very well may be right, but it's still a PITA to have to close your gas cap door with a key. I'd rather it if mine were broke again!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

OK people, I've been watching this thread for a while...& I finally couldn't take it any more. Yes, I actually went out & looked in my gas door.

The gold colored metal "catch" that engages the mechanism can be bent back (to the left looking at it) to ease closing.

The bracket holding the rubber "stop" can also be manipulated in or out to adjust where the door is in relation to the frame.

The cap screws around the perimeter hold it all together. I've replaced mine with stainless steel, just because I like the way it looks...but be warned,it's a real PITA getting the nuts back on the backside of the catch & the stop, & they WILL drop down into a place where they are nearly impossible to retrieve if you don't have a finger on em during disassembly.

Also, & this is just opinion, all VX gas doors can be closed w/o the key...you're just not slamming it hard enough. Look in there at the strike plate/catch on the left side to see what I mean.

Ok, rant off...thats my "farmboy engineering" tutorial on gascap doors, take it for what it's worth (about what you paid), class dismissed.

Ldub :winkr: :winkr: :winkr:

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thebear54
    OK...I have it figured out!!!

If you don't need a key to close the gas door....IT'S BROKE

If you need a key to close the gas door....IT'S GOOD

LOL

John
    No no no! Ever since I bought my 2000 I never had to use the key to close. Not broken - just special :razg2: