Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calmini 3" Suspension Lift

We have a garage
    Scott / moncha.com

I was hoping not to cut it quite that close.

Just in case!! Always have those last minute adjustments.

I got the lift installed this weekend. A big thank you to Tone, Jennifer, Lisa, Clayton and Shawn for their help and making sure I didn't sober up to much.

It took probably 8 hours to install. Keep in mind that I'm a computer geek not a mechanic so anyone else doing this will probably do it much faster that I did. I also did the ball joint flip and installed the Complete Darlington Stainless Steel Braided Brake line Upgrade which increased my install time a bit.

The first thing I did after it was installed was stand around looking at my VX for about 15 minutes. I think it looks really good.

It seems to lean more in the corners than a stock VX, so I won't be doing any rallycrossing now.

The front end has settled since I first cranked the torsion bars so I'm going to give it another day, then I'm going to crank the torsion bars a little more to raise the front back up to where I want it.

One thing I noticed while doing it was the lack of room to use air tools. Most of the nuts & bolts have to be removed using good old fashioned arm power, or at least it seemed that way when I kept banging my knuckles on things.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm lying on my back underneath a 4000 pound vehicle on jack stands, I tend to worry that the jack stands are going to collapse or the vehicle is going to slip off the jack stands and I'm going to die, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. I also kept it under 55 mph for the first hour because I just assumed that I had failed to tighten some of the nuts sufficiently and parts were going to start falling off, and I'd rather this happen at 55 than 80. I also stopped twice on my trip back from Austin just to make sure that everything was still attached. I never have these concerns when a mechanic does the work. Strange huh?

The kit came with a replacement crossmember, but I didn't see the point of using it. It wouldn't have allowed me to use the skid plate that Tone made for me.

The shocks that come with the kit are really soft compared to the factory shocks, but the springs are much stiffer. The springs are maybe an inch taller than the factory ones. The lift comes from them being so much stiffer. I don't know if that was useful to anyone but I figured I'd throw it out there in case someone cared.

I think eventually I'm going to get some of those Rancho 9000 series shocks that are adjustable from within the cab, but I think I'm going to pay to have them installed. Suspension work makes me nervous.

All in all I'm very happy with the mod and really looking forward to actually putting it to good use in Moab.

Sorry I don't have pics. I was too tired after the install. All I wanted to do was go home, take a shower, and go to bed. I'm sure there will be plenty of pics taken at Moab. For those who have to have pics now, find some of Swordy's VX. Mine should be about the same, but with smaller tires.

Cool

Glad to have done my part! It's really hard work to just sit around and drink while someone is installing a lift kit - just ask Clayton.

Just kidding - I am sure I was talking about Lisa.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Hey, who did the back passenger shock??? AND took on and off the tires??? I am multi talented, I can drink AND work!!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

I got you beat! I can drink and hand Tim the wrong tools!

Hey folks, they are like this in real life too. When they weren't forcing me to guzzle drinks ("Don't swallow, just open your throat and don't think about it"), they were making me laugh.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    We are like this because we are like family!! And who in the heck gave you the throat advice!! You know Tim, I did mess up my knee giving you that piggyback ride, but I still did it!

Originally posted by VX crazy
    We are like this because we are like family!!
    The Adams Family? The Munsters?

Well, at least he didn't say the Manson Family!

Sorry more of you couldn't be with us. VX Crazy was giving free piggy back rides. I can't remember if it was before or after the Tequila. Tim did a great job considering we could only lend a helping hand as opposed to advice. It really did look good afterwards. Tim is going to be one of the tougher VX's at MOAB. If MOAB socials are anything like Friday I envy and pitty you : )

Dang, what happened to the good ole days, with the fun VX meets???

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    Dang, what happened to the good ole days, with the fun VX meets???
    They still happen every May...in Moab...Utah...

Remember, it's this.........

NOT this...

Thanks Dub! Too funny, almost forgot about the feet from the canyon hike! Sometimes its hard to wait til may, thats why the local stuff is supposed to get me by til than.....lol.......