Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHECK ENGINE light - code P0440

Love my Scangauge!

p0440 tonight.
    Checked on here, and sure enough,
    the attendant caught the lanyard under the fuel cap!
    In Oregon attendants do the fueling.
    Now to see if it will come back. (doubtful)
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoggie View Post
    In Oregon attendants do the fueling.

I dont know if I could handle that.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    It used to be the same in New Jersey, but not sure if it still is...man I would have to stand there and watch to make sure they did not splash on my cladding...ugh!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I think the Oil companies, make enough PROFITS, that they can add an employee to dispense their products.

Like in "Back to the Future", They used to be SERVICE STATIONS!

It chaps my hide to go to Washington where every station has a different system for activating the pumps. I've had times where I've had to go into the mini mart several times because they keep forgetting to turn the pump on!
    Sometimes they don't even have a store, it's an 'untrained' cashier that sits in a booth.

Every time that happens in the Rain forest of the Northwest. I'm reminded of my 80 year old mother being put through their BS

If you support Self-serve, you should be getting checks from the Big Oil companies for doing their work!

What's next? Walmart parks their trucks in the back, and you have to unload it for them, if you want to buy something? McDonalds makes you flip your own burgers?

Is your gas any different in Price for doing their job?

I dont disagree with the idea of a service station. I just disagree with strangers touching my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I dont disagree with the idea of a service station. I just disagree with strangers touching my cars.
    Things ain't what they used to be.

Really unfortunate.
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Agreed.

Well it could be something simple. My check engine light came on yesterday, this morning it showed the P440 code. We just had to clean some corrosion off the gas fill tube and undo the battery for a minute to reset it. Drove it around all afternoon and the CL light stays off.
    I Loved My Space Buggy

I've been having this code pop-up for the past 6 weeks or so - thought it was the gas cap and first tried cleaning the cap/fill tube, tightening some extra clicks, then clearing the code - which would work for a week or two, then the CEL would come back on. Next I removed and cleaned some of the emission parts (needed to preform that maintenance anyway) and reset. Finally broke down and bought an aftermarket Lucas cap to try it out and reset - lasted for a day then came back on. I'm not sure what to try next.

I'm thinking it's the evap cannister but wanted to check first to see if anyone else went through the checklist and get some opinions.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Well, we have had the 440 code come on a few times over the years (4 +). First few times, I replaced the gas cap (oem) with an aftermarket. I have cleaned everything under the hood I could relate it to.
    In the end.... I found nothing to correct it. It still comes on every few months or so. scan and verify the code, reset it, see ya again in a few months.

Life is better when you go Topless

I used to get the infamous P0440 code when I ran the K&N oiled filter. It only popped up at one specific point in my commute to work, accelerating uphill an around a corner. I could clear it and it would return a week later.

I had my MAF cleaned (under warranty) and I removed the K&N and never got the code again.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I love this code and 441 that evaporator code; swapped my evaporator and still get the code; swapping O2 sensors next; got new exhaust system in place and the new tail pipe has about bet a mm of black carbon in it; filthy engine considering it's fuel injected, I imagine my O2 sensors are suffocating! I forget what O2 code my VX has thown since I fixed the exhaust but it won't go away, winter has made it a pain to do O2 sensor swaps but I got some good new cheapies from rockauto

I plan to carefully examine all the vacuum hoses next then the two solenoids. Finally will look at the Evap cannister. I know I have an exhaust leak at the flange where the catback connects but it's been there a while. I'll see if addressing that does anything.

-- John

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Things ain't what they used to be.

Really unfortunate.
    -V
    Hahahah, they sure aren't. When I was 18 and bought my first car gas was .25 cents a gallon. And for that you got your tire pressure checked, windows cleaned, oil and water checked besides pumping the gas without asking. Plus there were S&H Green stamps redeemable for goods and at times promotional glasses and dishes for free. God, you kids make me laugh. Don't touch my car, lol.

Well I actually came in here to see what I could find about the Check Engine light. I haven't bothered to have the code read. But the mention of gas caps rings a bell. I managed to drive over my gas cap when filling a couple of weeks ago. I found another one in my stash of things 'all-automotive' that I dont throw away. Thats probably it. It doesnt ratchet down like the original one, so just maybe.......................

Update: Removed gas cap, sealing ring cracked, purchased new gas cap, reset computer, fingers crossed.

Update: New gas cap seems to have solved the problem, no reocurrance of the Check Engine light.
    Last edited by Maddawg : 03/17/2013 at 04:47 PM
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

After driving it for a week the light went off (odd as I reset after putting the new gas cap on it). I'll still be doing some maintenance today or tomorrow to spruce things up a bit. Want to get this addressed before getting my inspection for the new tag...