Thread: Air Intake Kit vs High Pwerformance Filter in Stock Air Box?

Air Intake Kit vs High Pwerformance Filter in Stock Air Box?

Noticed alot of Intake Kits with Cone Filters and High Pwerformance Filters that fit in the stock air box. What gives on these? Which are better fro the Vx? Do the intake kits void warranty from Isuzu, does anyone here have these kits and what is everyones opinions and perspective on this mod.

Panel filters maintain the stock look and protection from water ingestion, do provide a modest increase in power but the 3" air inlet into the box limits the amount of air the engine can get. Cone filters allow much more air into the engine and the power improvement is easy to see on a Dyno, but it does breath in hotter air than through the stock box.

I have been monitoring Intake Air Temp with my ScanGauge on a number of VXs with stock airboxes, stock airboxes with the elbow removed and several different cone filters that I offer. Suprisingly, at anything about standing still idle, ALL of the intakes monitored show no more than a 10-14 degree air temperature differential!

If you are NOT a deep water offroader, I'd recommned going with a high quality cone filter than filters down to at least 5 micron particle size and uses something other than 'screen' material to trap the dirt and dust.
    Here's why: http://greenfilterusa.com/why.asp

If you go in deep water, to be safe, stay with the stock box and use the panel filter - you'll still notice a power increase. Just be careful not to get in up to the wheel wells or it will suck water in.

ive used teh stock airbox for about 8 months to a year. then i did the airbox mod(cut the elbow instead of just removing it) but didnt notice any difference(using some filter my mechanic friend gave me).

I offer one of the intake kits that replaces the whole airbox and stock elbow. I am not sure what the power gains on the airbox mods are but my kit has 10.5 dyno proven hp gain over stock. My kit places the cone filter exactly where the air box was and unlesss you get really deep in the H2O you should be just fine. I have a bunch of these kits on members of this boards VXs so look around a little or do a search for Morgan-tec.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

I have tried 4 different set-ups:

1) Stock filter, stock air box, elbow in place
    2) Cone filter from eBay on stock tube
    3) Drop in K&N filter in stock box with elbow removed
    4) Hot Shot chrome intake with chrome filter

2,3 & 4 all provide a great sound, although I'm not sure there was anymore power. Interestingly, the cone filter on the sotck intake actually robbed some power, as it was sputtering or missing on hard acceleration. No problems with the other alternatives, although I did sometimes get a bogging sound/feeling with the cone filters - like it was trying to suck in too much air and bogging the engine down. This happened at speeds where the VX didn't downshift under acceleration. Overall, I preferred all of them to the stock set up - and I'm sure it was just the perception and the noise!

I might also mention that I removed the screen while I had the cone filter from eBay. I didn't notice any difference at all after making this mod. Also, no check engine issues resulted from any of these mods - had a check engine light issue, but it turned out to be a defective PCV valve. Hope this helps!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Raque,
    I have the little known "fifth configuration". I've modded my stock airbox to accept the cone filter on the end of the carbon fiber intake. I've also insulated/isolated the stock box so it's only drawing air in from the hole in the fender where the elbow used to be.
    I wish I had one of Tone's scan gauges to ck. intake temp. If I get a chance this coming wknd. I'll post pics.
    Ldub