Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: changing colour in Oz

Cool changed colour, 20s fitted in Oz

Well signed off on a 97 JDM VX yesterday here in Australia, 60,000kms everything works in the car [dodgey passenger window ..what's new!!], ...

....but then we will be starting our transformation ...its currently red burgundy], and as there were no black/ebony available thats the colour she's going to...in fact BMW black schwartz, not the cladding but we'll be doing the mirrors, the center of the bonnet as well, door frames, not the roof rails..hopefully she'll be straight into the paint shop in 3 days for a week of pampering into its new suit.

.....we're also looking really hard [here in Oz] for some decent 20s, frustrating to see the choices you guys get overseas.

.....then from there to the next shop for a Hollandia 300L roof, tint, parking sensors, rear door popper, alarm , immobilser..

.....and then to the stereo guy to nut out the JDM Addzest..add a stacker [none fitted] under the passenger seat..perhaps that can play DVD and use the current screen [we're PAL but NTSC /PAL converters are now available...but thats there's job to come up with the best options]..

......oh also to leather trimmer to remove the pizza style cloth on the JDM recaros for some decent leather and also will get the trimmer to make a sturdy elastised pocket across the back of each seat for maps, gameboys etc....we're interested updating the CF door trims as well, looking for some 'subtle' dash instrument highlighting, also the Momo wheel..the centre trim is fairly worn has anyone done something to that..this ones faded and it looks like crap as its one of the first things you see when you look in the car..???.

.....AND of course the obligatory side steps, nudge bar front and perhaps hitch/step at the back pricing is good from Tone but in converting to AUD + our GST 10% + 15% import duty..its not S/S but bloody gold dipped !!...

Now I 've read the paint horror stories so we are concerned but all I can say is the dealer I've bought our VX from has a VX for his wife as well, and is always going nuts on the JDM cars he sells, paint, kits etc, he originally sold theirs to a guy and gave his wife a 'fullsik mate' Lexus, which she drove for 3 days and hated it .."she wanted her VX back" ..but he sold it ..but he eventually bought it back...now we've got him going with our VX project. he's now helping us out with paint .possibly wheels, so when ours is done he'll show her so he can get the green light to go nuts on hers !!

Sorry for the rave but we feel an important project worthy of sharing..these VX are super rare in Oz [~10 in captivity ..if that],..even in the red people 'gather around'..so turn this into a street tuff black one should do nicely !!!

We'll let you know how we are progressing

David Down Under
    Last edited by moon buggy : 07/20/2005 at 04:26 AM

Thumbs up

Sounds as though this may be a long and drawn out conversion David.
    Post some pics as you make progress....Good luck
    John

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

DDU,
    I'm just thinkin out loud here but...To me it would seem easier to have the sunroof installed before the new paint goes on.
    Masking off the sunroof just seems easier than being "super careful" cutting it into new paint, with the possibility of 1 careless move or dropped tool putting a ding in an otherwise perfect paint job.
    Just my $0.02 (I don't know what the current rate of exchange is)
    Sounds like she'll be a looker! Best of luck on your project, Ldub

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    DDU,
    I'm just thinkin out loud here but...To me it would seem easier to have the sunroof installed before the new paint goes on...
    Sounds like she'll be a looker! Best of luck on your project, Ldub
    I was thinking the same thing... why not paint AFTER cutting the roof? I also agree that it'll be one sweet looking VX!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

cut before of after

Ok the go is to cut after the paint,I asked enough times to get slapped so I'll go with it..I had a new Cherokee 3 yrs ago have its roof cut and they did a fine job ..altho they suggest not to stick around when it goes under the knife..also the current hood liner in the 'X' is a bit shabby, so the guys will redo that while they're in there..

Wheels ...checking out some wheels tomorrow by BSA model 326 to be exact, has the look its 20x9 but with a 35 offset so this will pull the wheel back in giving more dish, 275/45x20s..still working on which tire vs $s...just found a pic..hmm attaching is a bit different to what i thought here try this link..
    http://www.bsa.com.my/fproduct.htm then go to BSA 326..this image looks even better than in the brochure..chrome finish ...what do you think of these..
    thanks to all for the pics stashed in the galleries ..thats what got us started
    ..cue Homer !!
    DDU [thanks Ldub, I'll run with that]

Thumbs up

Great looking rim... just make sure that our hubs will clear.
    Good luck and post pics along the way.
    -Dave

Last edited by Cyrk : 06/29/2005 at 07:39 AM

ordered them today BUT more ?

whats the loading that a tyre for the VX should meet..I have seen on some tire/wheel sites that 108 is stated, but what is the mininmum OEM spec for the load rating..as sometimes manaufactures will also fit slightly higher but the cars tire placard states a 'minimum'...sorry car still at the yard otherwise I'd check the placard myself..the tires for my 20s are rated at 106..that is my concern..did a search some threads talk about 89 rating for the VX ..thats low !! [ie passenger tire level]..

Thanks
    DDU

Tire Load Rating = 90

that's according to the tire placard attached to my vehicle, would seem low in view of cars weight ..but hey it certainly makes it easy fit up with tires..

Arrow

G'day DDU,
    Again, just thinkin out loud...from what I can see in the pics of the wheels you're looking at, the centerbore looks a little small. Can you get dimension from their site & post?
    Ldub

Gotta be 108mm at the very least and even that can be tight but that is the measurement of the stock rims.

centre bore = 110mm, from their site

but I'll get my wheel guy to measure today to double check..

BSA 326
    Size : 20 x 9.0
    Hole : 5 / 6
    P.C.D : 114.3 - 150
    Offset : 0 / 35 / 45
    Ctr Hole: 73.1 - 110

Colour : FS, PHB, PHS, BMF, SMF, CP, BWM

Thanks
    Last edited by moon buggy : 06/30/2005 at 02:01 PM Reason: paste lost its formatting, c if i can fix

damn wheels don't fit

the wheels don't fit...their offset was supposed to be 30 was only actaully 20..so they stuck out the sides of the guards on the back..and well the fronts the centre bore was wide enough 110mm..but not deep enough it needs at least 75 - 80 mm clearance in depth as well ..bugger..anyway found another wheel in 20s, still 9" wide but with 30mm offset..and centre bore is wide enough and is open enough it looks to accomodate the front hubs, hopefully will have a dry run fitment on Sat if wheel supplier pulls digit out, otherwise next Mon/Tues..

Car is now painted, one or two minor floors but overall the colour certainly looks good on the car..[not jet black more metal flake carcoal slate..]will take pics when i get the 20s on..so next week its lined up for alarm, roof, tint etc..need to do something with exhaust too, needs twin chrome pipes and may be a better muffler to help it breath..but not loud..

..for those of you looking over my shoulder.. see my other thread on passengers door creaking...thats really annoying, the door creaks and its window's has a classic example of the stuffed regulator/severe binding..its pushes straight out of its track as the glass lifts out of the door lurching forward..window lock for now !!..

Cool new paint - diamond schwartz black

and new wheels..better shots shortly

Lookin Good!

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thumbs up

DDU,
    NNNIIIICCE!...May the Schwartz be with you!
    Very nice whip, looki'n 4ward to the next pics.
    Ldub