Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Help - my Vehicross was stolen

You know, it's also possible that he got into an accident, and decided to just park it in a lot and walk away. Also possible he got lucky and is in a nearby motel room with your VX parked out front! In any case, is the VX insured against theft?

Just be thankful he didn't kill someone with it while test driving it, becauese you would be responsbile!

** WORD TO THE WISE **

If someone is interested in buying your car, do not let them test drive it! Even if their intentions are good, you assume civil liability for any damage they might accidentally cause during the test - including personal injury or death! Why would you put your financial future at risk in the hands of someone you don't know?!

My own tale goes like this: I had an S2000 that I loaned to a coworker so he could take a girl to lunch (he drove a minivan). The roads were wet, and they took a corner too fast, lost control, spun out, and hit a lightpole which fell on top of the car and hit his head. With that, I had significant damage to the car, a broken lightpole, and his medical bills to pay - totaling more than $20,000. Fortunately, my insurance covered it, but I'm still paying elevated rates because of it.
    Steve

Everything was done through e-mail. I have sent e-mails to his aol account, but so far I have received no replies (and I even requested a read-receipt). I suspect that his intentions are to paint it so that it won't be obvious that it was mine. He could also use license plates from another vehicle (swap them between two cars). As long as he has it out of sight during the next two months or so, he could be home free. And no, the car is not covered for theft - I was only carrying liability insurance as I own it free and clear. So if I do not get it back, I lose everything.

On the bright side of things, I'm thinking this could make for a very interesting screen play...

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by tiggergreen
    I was only carrying liability insurance as I own it free and clear. So if I do not get it back, I lose everything.
    This is a valuable lesson to learn. Insurance is for protection. If you're not insured by a 3rd party against theft, you should do everything you can on your own to insure against it. That means "the club", a good alarm, lojack, or whatever. It also means careful supervision of unknown parties around your vehicle and secure placement of your vehicle's title. Otherwise, you're taking the risk of a complete loss.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Exclamation

Even IF he does paint it, he would also have to change out your upholstery. That is a dead giveaway.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Yes, the purple upholstery would be hard to miss - but why wouldn't he just paint that as well??? Anita - that is so cool that you get to see Stan Lee. I'm heading to Comic Con on Saturday with a friend.

In any case, this guy is obviously going to get an ulcer from worrying every time he attempts to go anywhere in this vehicle. I still have to wonder what he was thinking. He looked like a professional white-collar worker. I told him I needed the money for my wife's delivery - which was the ONLY reason I was thinking of selling it.

Also, the police got on my case about not keeping his license or his other car as collateral during the test drive. But I was alone with four kids... But, yes, I hope you can all learn something from my experience - I have provided the perfect example of what not to do :O)

Anyhoo, I am not too terribly upset about this - this may be a bump in the road, but in the long run, I will come out on top - I will get it back or I will buy another VX. I can also use this is a tax write-off this year...

Brent

Brent,
    You are taking this much better than I would. I would not get a nights rest until I had kicked the **** out of that clown. Let us know of any updates to the saga. It is actually pretty interesting. Good luck.
    Last edited by Moncha : 07/14/2005 at 11:14 AM Reason: Please, don't try to get by the censor by using special characters

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Yes, the purple upholstery would be hard to miss - but why wouldn't he just paint that as well???
    Brent
    As I recall, you also added another row of seats in the back for your kids, so you did modify it uniquely.

He looked like a professional white-collar worker.
    Quote Originally Posted by TEN36VX
    Description: 6'0, 220, Brown Hair, Blue eyes
    No one knows what it's like to be the bad man behind blue eyes.

Ten36VX, I had to delete your post due to a violation in the site's rules. Even though the info you posted in your last post was public info.. I won't allow it to be posted here, no matter how much I (we) hate the guy. If you want to post your own info that's fine but not someone elses. Disclose what you want to Brent but do not make it public here..
    Scott / moncha.com

10-4, Moncha. Not intended to be used for retaliation, rather 'be on the lookout' info for anybody in those areas. Sorry.

No problem, just trying to keep everything on the up and up.. Once his fanny is in jail he'll get plenty of lawyereez going and I don't want anyone ending up being sued by this yahoo.
    You need to be careful too, as it's not your active case, Brent's locals are going to start wondering why this guy's DL got queried in so many places you don't want NCIC doing an audit...

Not my case, but still cop work... We run cars and R/O's at random anyway. I'm keepin' it legal.

Our agency makes us account for every run.. ACLU and profiling issue.. Anyway,, just looking out for everyone.. just ignore me

Talking

I am physically ill about this. It's times like this I think about how we need "cleaners" in our society; persons whose job it is to clean up and dispose of the unnecessary. Individuals who contribute nothing, take everything, and serve no useful purpose to society could be ushered away never to be heard from again, perhaps with a final explanation:

"Don't you understand? We don't need you. You have no redeeming qualities. Someone else needs the space." Then blam! Nuisance deleted.

How's THAT for a screenplay?

;-)

I've got Longmont/Boulder/Louisville in Colorado covered. If he shows up, I'll get him.

Nate

Talking

Would that be a paid position????

Awwww, what the heck... No matter. I'm first!!