Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New cladding product?

I know I'm a girl so my question is whether this product would work on the rear spoiler. Mine is pretty faded.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Do you guys have any advice on how to go about repairing any dents or cuts in the body cladding? Someone told me that the problem with repairing the cladding is the color may fade or lighten at the repair site....any insight?
    Last edited by LeDonovan : 09/26/2005 at 01:25 PM Reason: another ?

LeD...
    If its a dent I'm sure VXCaver (Bob) will share his technique of using a blow dryer with you this weekend! He rebuilt his VX from a wreck (bought it that way) a nd although it ain't perfect (yet!) I've seen it come a long way!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Talking

Thanks for the tip and looking forward to this weekend! Do you have a generator for my blow dryer??

You'll have to rub two sticks together really fast...oh wait thats for fire!

I was wondering just today whether you got it yet and here is your post. I regret that I didn't take before and after pics. My cladding was not looking too great and the difference is dramatic. So far I have no complaints and I'm looking forward to longevity so I won't need to be doing that task again for a loooong time.

Scott
    Scott

Update on this. This is not a restoration product. It is a paint or resin-like substance that adheres to the vinyl surface, giving a new sheen. It's a good product, but definitely not made for automotive use. It can work well and return that "new" look to your cladding, but it must be applied carefully!!!

Definitely DO NOT USE THE BRUSH to apply this stuff. It leaves a fine brush texture if you do. I would say Scott's cottonball suggestion sounds perfect. Apply the stuff on a COMPLETELY DRY CAR, and in a COVERED LOCATION... preferably an enclosed garage, where bugs can't get stuck to the stuff. I got little water drip marks in a few places, and now the product is peeling off. Put it on in THIN LAYERS. Do not follow the instructions on the package. Make sure your cladding is CLEAN. I mean CLEAN. Every inch (even underneath). You'll want to apply the Restora all the way down.

I totally messed up my first application of this product, but it still looks good from a distance. Up close (5 feet or less) you can see the texture and the drip marks. I'm going to remove it and reapply it this weekend.

I'll update again then.
    Steve

Steve,

I'm interested in your impressions. I've now had it on for 1 1/2 months and it appears as good as they day I first applied it. I had a couple scuff marks that I resolved by taking a terri cloth rag and wiping over the area with a little Restora on it. SO much better than re-applying mother's, etc all the time. I never care much for the bleached cladding look and tended to hit the cladding when ever I washed the car.

Scott

Scott,

The cladding has a great shine to it, but it still has some fine brush texture in it. I also made the mistake of applying the stuff to the hood before I realized what it was. I'm gonna take a weekend soon and strip it all off (somehow lol) and reapply it with a cottonball or terry cloth as you suggest.

Just for the record, in case others are interested in doing this, use an old cotton t-shirt and cut it into small "applicators." Dip the material into the Restora and wipe it on the cladding. Make sure the cladding is very clean before you do it. Less is better but be sure you cover the area with the product.

Scott

Man, this sounds like a great idea. Thanks Scott & Transio! Does anyone have any pics to show the rest of us how the cladding looks after application. Definitely interested in doing this, would like to see the cladding in a pic.

Thanks,
    Adam

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX

Searching: "Cladding" + "Black"

Does anyone have any long-term opinions/impressions about this product?

With the weather finally breaking, I ran ours through the local brushless car wash yesterday, cleaning it for the first time since we got it... Even though our cladding was looking a bit grey before doing so, apparently someone must have put 'something' on there before we bought it, because now the cladding is VERY grey - much more so than before.

In my search today, I read where a lot of people recommend Mother's Back-to-Black, but if the Restora really lasts so much longer (without problems), I’m thinking it might be the better way to go – especially since right now the cladding on ours is obviously quite free of any residues from previous product applications.

TIA!
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

E-ZooZoo One,
    Check this post for recent impressions: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8314

I’m not sure how I missed that thread, but THANK YOU for posting the link!

Looks like it’s Mother’s for me (unless anyone knows of something better).

Cheers!
    Smiley

Smiley,

After getting Scott's long-term feedback, I decided that I'm going to try to patch up my restora application rather than remove the whole thing.

I think if you apply it correctly (NOT as per the instructions), it's got potential to be a great product. However, it's a real commitment. Once you decide to use it, you're stuck with it.

PS - If and when you apply it, do it in your garage. Otherwise bugs and dirt could get trapped in it.

Ummm... What's a garage?

Seriously, that just sounds like one more reason for me NOT to use the Restora...
    I've got a driveway that's long enough for about 7 or 8 vehicles to park nose-to-tail, but the 2-story building at the far end of it is a 'garage' in name only - with a door that's barely wide enough to roll a push mower in and out.

It's such a nice day, I think I'm gonna head over to Advance Auto for some Mother's right after I post this message.

Cheers!
    Smiley