Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New cladding product?

New cladding product?

Here in New England the commercials on the TV are pushing a product that is sold at Home Depot for example called Restora (if memory is correct). You paint it on to sun bleached Vinyl shutters for example and it brings it back to it's original luster and supposedly lasts for years. Now wouldn't that be great if it worked on our cladding. Has anyone tried it yet or am I to be the guinea pig?

Oink
    Scott

haven't tried it... but looking forward for some pictures from ya I can even give you a hand if you want.

Looks like I'll be testing this product. More to follow.

PS. Thanks Yefim but you would have to be insane to try to get over the Sagamore Bridge at this time of the year : )

It doesn't appear to be carried by Home Depot. They only carry two flood products right now - both paint additives. It looks like this is a new product. I'd give them a call to see about a place in your area that will carry it.
    Steve

Steve,

It is a Flood product. Thanks for looking into it. Our Home Depot may not know whether they have it or not. It the kind of Home Depot that you're best looking for yourself rather than counting on anyone there to be of assistance.

I went to our Cape Cod based Home Depot today to purchase "Restora". It is not available here because it contains chemicals that are prohibited for this area. No stores are allowed to carry a wide variety of products that might endanger the ground water supply so I'll need to make a trip somewhere to pick it up at some point. The guy behind the desk at Home Depot said that he gets a dozen or more requests for the product daily so there is some demand for it. I suspect that it might work pretty well for our cladding and may not require the frequent applications that most products require. In fact, three years per application is the advertisement. Would have jumped at the opportunity to try it. I'll post results if I ever get my hands on some of it.

Scott

It is available via the internet. I googled "Flood Restora" and found a few sellers. Here is one example: http://www.epaintstore.com/paint/flood_restora_menu.htm

Why didn't I think of that! I ordered it and I'll post when the experiment is complete.

I used "Restora" on my cladding today. It's a kit that comes from the Flood company that contains everything you need including brushes and the two step chemical process. It goes on like a white milky substance and dries within an hour or two. Unlike everything else I've tried, it doesn't leave a sticky residue to collect dirt. It's guaranteed not to chip, fade etc for years and I must say on initial inspection I am quite impressed. I'll be even more impressed not having to treat my cladding whenever I wash the car. If this works as the claim (for years) then we've stumbled upon a real work saver that gives you the look of freshly treated cladding.

Restora was discussed on the Chevy Avalanche sites with inconclusive results. I was told that it is the same as FutureŽ Floor Wax. I'm sticking to Mothers Back to Black for now....

If you have the link to where Restora was discussed I'd like to see it.

Scott

Scott,

Did you get the low lustre or semi-gloss kit?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by transio
    Scott,

Did you get the low lustre or semi-gloss kit?

Steve
    low lustre. I'm just into this for one day but I like what I see. Unlike Mothers, this sets up a barrier over the cladding that isn't sticky and may last for much longer per application. If I were to do it again I would forgo the brush and use a soft cotton fabric to apply the chemical (which I'll do the next time I apply it). It reminds me of a product I use on teak for my boat that lasts for a season. I've used Flood products to treat the shingles on our home in the past with great results. I live on Cape Cod and our home takes a beating with the elements so I have some faith with the manufacturer. I'm impressed with this product...my comments are in no way connected to having a relationship with Flood. I just had a prior satisfactory experince with a product they manufactured called CWF that I had used on our home.

Scott

I just ordered a kit from epaintstore.

Ouch! $10 for shipping!!!

Got my Restora kit today!

I'm gonna apply it and get pics for you guys!