Thread: Fuel Leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012

Fuel Leak

Almost lost her.
    Last night I parked and then moved the car after a half an hour of sitting.
    I smelled gas. I saw drips off of the engine cross member. I borrowed a fire extinguisher and drove a mile to home. Denial is very empowering, in the short term. I made it with no fire. Lucky, it turns out.
    Later, a look under the hood with the engine running showed a spray of gas in the back of the engine, directly on the bottom of the EGR valve. The origin of the leak was not obvious.
    The stock gas line sprouts out of the back of the engine. It is a hose with hose clamp, with a tube going to the S/C fuel rail. To start the hunt for the leak, the EGR valve must be removed.
    I flatbedded this morning to a near garage, since Isuzu is 120 mi. away. I have 40K mi. and the Isuzu extended warrantee will cover the tow and will pay the garage to fix. The garage is busy, so I will not get a true cause until Monday.
    I called Isuzu and no recall exists for a fuel leak. I did not find any experience in our group for this problem.
    I will post the progress.
    Roy

Sounds like either the banjo fitting on that side or the fuel hose (should have used a worm gear clamp) feeding it has become loose, common if not installed properly - certainly NOT an Isuzu issue.
    Last edited by Tone : 07/22/2005 at 09:35 AM

No, not the banjo on the fuel rail. The shop reports that the leak is in the flex hose coming up from the back of the engine. The leak is below a factory spring clamp. The hose attaches to a short tube that goes to the banjo fitting. The nature of the hose leak is not known yet.
    Roy

That connection was made during SC installation. The easy way to do it is to grab the hose with pliers and force it onto the barb. This can damage the hose.

The way I've done it on the 2 SC I've installed is to replace the hose with a longer high pressure hose, and repoint the fuel barb in a more accesable direction. It also makes it more visable for leak checking. Its not as neat and tidy looking, but I think its safer. It also gets the hose more away from EGR heat.

John C.

John, is this what you are thinking?
    If access cannot be made to the end of the stock steel fuel line to the stock hose (Between the firewall and engine), your idea of a new metal covered fuel line attaching to the stock steel tube under the car, and running to the fuel rail may be the way to go. We will just cut off the stock line and pull out the impossible section. We would use a tube flair and AN type fitting to the new hose. Done.
    Roy

You still need a rubber section at some point between the rail an the hardline at the firewall to allow for the engine torquing on its mount.

But yeah, make the final connection where its easy to access.

John C.