Thread: car audio project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

car audio project

finally received my JL 12"W7 and JL 1000/1 amplifier, and wondering where should i place them. i am wondering does the rear door able to carry the 45lbs 12"W7? i mean, if it can't, i got to go with traditional box and place it in the rear cargo space.
    and the fiberglass thing is hard to work with, once it mixed with resin, it became sticky, and wouldn't go away my gloves.
    blue HID head light, custom license plate "GOVEHIX", Pro M mass air flow, black safari light bar from Tone, PIAA 194 fog light intalled, PIAA 550 fog light lamp installed, custom bull bar extention installed, Levoc ultra metal pedal set, Bioharzard sticker at the rear glass, Recaro red cellphone holder and razo steer cover.

I've got 2 x 12" subs and a large amp mounted to a fiberglass + MDF box in my rear door. It easily weighs over 50 lbs and I've had no issues with the door being able to handle the weight. The only problem I have is that I have to hit the switch for the door popper two or three times to get it to work, but that's probably an adjustment issue.

You can check out my web page for pics.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    kpaske,

Check the pulley on the door popper system. Mine slid down a bit after initial installation, and I started having the SAME problem - the door not opening unless I held the popper button in for a couple of seconds.

Govehix, the door will be able to carry the weight of the subs, but the plastic interior piece (if that's what you were thinking of mounting the sub to) will not, and will provide no accoustics for the speaker, either. You need to build a sub box that will match the shape of the door and mount the box to it nice and sturdy.

The W7 and amp are large components and that ub is a monster. I would build a correct mdf and fiberglass box for the cargo area if i were you. Make sure you give that sub the proper air space and it will scream.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

I managed to squeeze my large Orion HCCA 250 Amp and two twelves in the rear door. IIRC, each sub required a minimum of 1 cubic foot sealed air, and I squeezed just a little over that. I used some stuffing material inside to help increase the perceived volume, and my subs sound really nice. However, if I had to do it over again, I might consider mounting the amp elsewhere to get some more volume for each of the subs, or even using just one sub. I believe those subs can be mounted is as much as 3 cubic feet of air for competition grade systems.

I don't know what the volume requirement is for your JL 12, but you should easily be able to get about 2 cubic feet, which is enough to make most subs sound incredible.

according to the owner's manual, the recommended volume for the sealed enclosure is 1.375 cu ft; and for the ported enclosure is 1.75 cu ft.
    i am still thinkin how to build the box, kpaske, can you tell me how you build yours? it's kinda hard to build a sealed box and mount it to the round door. (i couldnt get through your web site i don't know why.)