Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I hurting my VX transmission?

There are some all purpose greases that can meet the requirements, but mostly standard chassis grease is not made for u-joints. You want to make sure. Read the lables. Last thing you want is for the driveline to break down due to the break down of your grease..
    Scott / moncha.com

Talking

I personally have always did both...dropped her into 3rd on the VX Auto as well as periodically braking which when in combination keeps both the rpms down and allows the pads a chance to cool. I've always driven this way even with a manual trannie and have never observed any ill effects...my Fiero clutch lasted 209,000 miles before she expired..by then it was time to junk the car...lol.

Actually when John and I descended Mt. Equinox during the VX-Plore 1 meet I also made use of the Emergency brake as they are separate pads....so I was engine braking....while braking....while occassionally pulling up on the E-brake to let the main brakes cool...I did this whenever the descent leveled off so as not to put a strain on the e-brakes either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Man did we put the brakes and trannies to a good test up there on that mountain. That 7,000+ drop down the mountain really showed that the VX was up to the challenge. I did it again about two weeks after the meet...2nd and 1st all the way down using the E-Brake once in a while...what a rush!!! and hairpins like you would not beleive. Blew out my little flexible exhaust pipe on the second run because of compression but the brakes never got warm.
    John

Talking

Hey John, if you ever put together another meet, (fall colors would be good! hint..hint!),
    count me in! I'd love another crack at ole Equinox...especially the ascent part with hopefully cooler conditions...lol. That 90's crap made me a little nervous the last time even though all turned out well.

Sounds like it might be a possiblity Greg....I'll let you know
    John

The reason to use engine breaking is so that breaks do not overheat and stop working. It is really for safety.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Quote Originally Posted by iownvx
    The reason to use engine breaking is so that breaks do not overheat and stop working. It is really for safety.
    Maybe in a racing situation where the brakes get red hot, or could fade ; where the engine is made to handle the stresses of downshifting.

Regular driving and wheeling shouldn't overheat our brakes. Save the engine unless your driving on a grade.

The brakes are designed to be safe under normal conditions.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    well if it makes you feel any better about your clunking my car does it too, when i shift from park to drive. especially on a hill. im gonna try to grease my ujoints hopefully that will help the problem. it has been worrying me too.
    pbkid