Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunroofs - What's Your Experience?

Question Sunroofs - What's Your Experience?

Thinking of getting a sunroof in the VX.

I was originally considering just a small popup to let in some light and air, but after doing some searches I found that didn't seem to be a popular choice here. Most folks seem to be going with the electric models (ala Webasto). I also couldn't get much of an idea as to types/manufacturers available. It didn't seem like there were really that many choices of models (I thought there would be hundreds).

The maufacturer websites for Webasto/Inalfa kind-of suck in so far as showing closeup photos of the various products themselves. I couldn't even find a simple, inexpensive popup type detailed on either site.

Personally, I'm not big on automatic anything on cars/trucks (even windows - I wish we could all go back to simple manual cranks like my trusty Amigo) IMHO it's just something else that could/will break at some point, costing more money and creating extra headaches - and what's the big deal about opening something by hand ... but I'm very interested in other member's experiences with sunroofs/moonroofs of any type in the VX.

(the forum/gallery search didn't give me that much info)

Also, can anyone recommend a great trustworthy place to have it done in the Bucks/Mercer county or Philadelphia area of Pa/NJ?

Thanks!

Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Thinking of getting a sunroof in the VX.

I was originally considering just a small popup to let in some light and air, but after doing some searches I found that didn't seem to be a popular choice here. Most folks seem to be going with the electric models (ala Webasto). I also couldn't get much of an idea as to types/manufacturers available. It didn't seem like there were really that many choices of models (I thought there would be hundreds).

The maufacturer websites for Webasto/Inalfa kind-of suck in so far as showing closeup photos of the various products themselves. I couldn't even find a simple, inexpensive popup type detailed on either site.

Personally, I'm not big on automatic anything on cars/trucks (even windows - I wish we could all go back to simple manual cranks like my trusty Amigo) IMHO it's just something else that could/will break at some point, costing more money and creating extra headaches - and what's the big deal about opening something by hand ... but I'm very interested in other member's experiences with sunroofs/moonroofs of any type in the VX.

(the forum/gallery search didn't give me that much info)

Also, can anyone recommend a great trustworthy place to have it done in the Bucks/Mercer county or Philadelphia area of Pa/NJ?

Thanks!
    I agree with you about automatic sunroof, my sister's 2007 maxima came with that option.

Two years ago heavy rain begins to fall in FL & she had her Sunroof opened & when she went to close the damn thing guess what ........

Sunroof didn't wanna close at all,she had to race under a passage to avoid the water coming into the cabin & mess all the leather upholstery interior.
    If she had the choice to have the manual one she wouldn't had that bad experience

You can't trust technology 100% at least i don't

The sunroof manufaturers decide to discontinue the manual sunroof to make more profit,after all,you still have to raise to arm & press the button to open the automatic one;To me it doesn't make any sense neither
    Dakar was just the begining.

sunroof

I want one but am not sure where roof braces are and what size/ where the sunroof could be put in. Did the search couldn't find the particulars.

Get with JohnnyApollo if you haven't already. You can check out his website here.

I'm not a sunroof fan to be honest, my 300zx has glass targas and i keep the sun blinds on constantly when the roof is on, i like to be dark inside the cockpit, especially with tinted windows etc.
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

My VX has the Webasto electric "Moonroof" with a dark limo tint and was professionally installed by the PO. I absolutely love it. It looks OEM factory and doesn't leak a single drop even in heavy Washington State down-pours. The replacement headliner looks OEM factory and has never sagged. It has illuminated control buttons; built-in sun-shade slider; built-in wind deflector that raises up upon opening, and the roof will automatically close when the iginition is turned off. I trust it more than I do the cheesy VX electric side-door windows.

Get one, it's awesome. I'm tall, so I already sit really high in the VX with very little headroom and the open roof gives me a feeling of more spaciousness. My only advice is to have it professionally installed by a Automotive Sunroof Shop that sells/installs that specific brand product and ask to see examples of their previous work or customer testimony before purchase.

Lastly, stay away from those cheap pop-top sunroofs that always leak-- if you're gonna cut a hole in your roof, then do it right with an electric moonroof or don't do it at all.

cheesy pop ups

Hey I had a cheesy pop up in a Isuzu I-mark for years and never had any leaks. Also I would rather save a few bucks since it is no harder to lift your hand up to pop up or pop out the sunroof than press a button that could go bad costing a fortune to fix.

Not that there is anything wrong with electric. But remember if the VX had hand crank windows instead of electric we would have none of the window problems we have now and the VX could have been sold for 1-2 grand less.

Remember, those window problems could have been avoided with twice yearly applications of silicone to the channels. That's all.

Leaking sunroof is all happening depending on how the installer did the job.
    You can purchase the best/expensive kit out there,but if the installer don't know his job water & debries will get into the cabin any ways.

I looking foward to add a nice sun roof soon.

Webasto in My Proton

I've had the Webasto power unit in my '01 for 6 years. Never a leak, works perfectly and still shuts automatically after you turn the VX off. Tilts up at the rear too if you like that. I do, especially in the rain. Like i said, no problems yet and if i did, the Webasto company in right in my town in Fenton, MI. I love it! Scott
    HEY RIFF RAFF, You're right, they're the best!

BeeVenom--- Yup, they are definately the best for sure!!! For those considering getting an electric Sunroof/Moonroof, the Webasto brand is the only way to go. Once you experience having a VX with an electric Sunroof/Moonroof, you'll wonder how the hell you ever lived without it!!!

Don't forget: Stay away from the cheapo "Pop-Top"!!!

Cool Sunroof

Yesterday i drove by a sunroof shop.
    I asked questions about options;The installer,after looking at the horse suggested me the spoiler sunroof style.
    He told me that the slide in style running below the roof takes more head room then the spoiler style,plus the spoiler style blends with the VX's very sporty design
    During the time talking with guy i had many VX moments with a good bunch of people surrunding my toy asking ??? about it.
    Cost for the installation $ 1400

I just worry about something hitting the glass if it's outside the body when open. Is that what you meant Gus?

remember

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Remember, those window problems could have been avoided with twice yearly applications of silicone to the channels. That's all.

Those of us who are original owners did not have the advanced notice of the issue to apply the silicon.

Depends on the installer, yeah but you find out how good they were months or years after install

I decided against it once I found out the headliner needs replaced. I only go with mods that do not need additional work to look original

VT,

I've put 100K on an Eclipse with that kind of sunroof. I've never had any problems with anything hitting the glass.

From an Engineering perspective - you're right. It is something that I'd be concerned about. In reality, it works great.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.