Thread: New VX buyer SOS

Exclamation New VX buyer SOS

I just put a refundable deposit on a '99 Ironman with 70,000 miles on it, for $12,500. It is in very good shape, no scratches or dents, good leather and good acceleration.
    Are there any huge red flags I should be looking for? Such as expensive problems that seem to pop up on every VX.
    The only problem I could see was the headlight covers are milky from the sun. My mechanic says he can buff it out and make it look like new. Has anyone out there ever tried that? Does it work as good as he says?
    This is a great website, you sound like a great bunch of car nuts! I'm a Psych RN and I know nuts when I see them!
    I'm looking forward to Moab, it is only a 3 hour drive for me.
    Thanx in advance for any help you can give me. Hobie Hullraiser

Sail fast, live slow!

I think a few members have polished their headlights with good results. I've been considering some of the smoked headlight covers offered by GTS as a way to keep sunlight from getting to them in the first place, but for now, I just keep the VX under the car cover when it's not being driven to keep off the sun.

Is the VX you have the deposit on being offered by a dealership, or a private owner? It's always a good idea to ask for maintenance records. If the seller can, or will, provide them, you can get a good idea of the vehicles' condition. If no records are available, well, that can be an indicator right there.

If the vehicle is being offered at a dealership, I always try to contact the previous owner to ask about any problems (major or minor) they may have experienced, or been experiencing at the time they traded it in. Call me overcautious, but if a dealership goes out of it's way to keep me from obtaining info about a vehicles' history, I run, not walk, to the nearest exit.

I hope you've found a good one.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Run the windows up and down and see if they track smoothly. Binding windows is a BIG problem with VX's.

If you have the stock cd player, take 6 cd's (ones that you dont really care if you lose them), into the player and play them all. Make sure they eject out without problems. That is unless you want to change out the system completely.

ON your front seats, check to make sure you have the levers and knobs intact (to move the backs forward). Levers can break off and I dont know of any fix other than replacing the whole seat $$$$.

Closely inspect the hood insert and see if it is free of cracks and bubbles.

Im sure others will chime in with other considerations.
    Last edited by Anita : 08/06/2005 at 11:05 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Wink

Also check shocks by both test driving and stopping suddenly to see if front end dives/bounces too much and if possible hit a dip in the road to see if the rears bounce too much after passing over it. Right now my VX when hitting a dip in the road absorbs perfectly on the front but takes an extra bounce on the rear....meaning the rears probably aren't too far away from replacement time since I've had the fronts already replaced once under warranty.

Also look at the top of the shocks to see if there is any leakage....I mention all of this because new original shocks cost around $375 to over $400 EACH depending on who you buy from. Yes...there are aftermarket shocks which offer cheaper alternatives...just do a search on "shocks".

If any of your shocks are bad you might be able to get THEM to foot the bill before you have to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Thanks for the good advice, all of you.
    I am purchasing it from a dealer, I had to go to a Safelite shop to see it, because they are fixing the window in the drivers door. I am printing off the suggestions in this website to show them, so they fix it right.
    I'm going to check out the shocks and the seats.
    I am going to get the VIN number and do a Carfax check and also get a friend, who is a cop, to run a make on the vehicle and call the privious owner.
    Thanks again. Hobie Hullraiser

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Hullraiser, push for a better deal on it if you can. I bought a '99 VX in December with 48k on it for $12,000. On the other hand, if they fix everything on it for you, consider that a pretty good deal, too.

As for the shocks - the VX is sprung VERY firmly, and has shocks to match. If you think the ride is hard, then the suspension is in good shape. If the body bounces around a lot and squats and dives, the shocks are toasted.

hullraiser, you may be a fellow catamaran sailor?

If so, check to see if it has a tow hitch. If not get one thrown in
    2000 Black VX 105k

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Hmm, nobody mentioned checking for excessive oil consumption?

Maugan,
    Yes, I am a catamaran sailor, I have a Hobie 21se, It can really fly. We were clocked by a kid on a jet ski, he said we were going 30 mph, he couldn't believe it. It is 13 1/2 feet wide, so when you fly a hull you are really flying. It is going to look great behind my Ironman. I also have an International 470 and a Laser, but I never sail them--they are great for the kids.
    What do you sail? Hullraiser

Smile

Well, I picked up the Ironman today.
    He threw in a new CD player that plays MP3s and they fixed the window, but it still isn't working good, so it is going back until it does.
    I got nervous and bought a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, just in case.
    The carpet looks like new and so does the upholstery. It looks close to new.
    I was concerned about gas mileage so I filled it up and drove it 21.3 miles, it took only .8 gallons to fill it up again, I was blown away.
    I asked about it burning oil, but he didn't know anything and I couldn't see any oil leaks, I will have to wait and see on the oil usage.
    I appreciate everyone's help, I can't wait to start fixing it up. I may enter it in an car show, no one I know even knew what it is, it should stir up some interest at a car show.
    Hullraiser

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Congratulations and welcome!!

Congratulations!

I also sail, I have a 1968 16ft O'day ospray, it's just like a daysailer, but a foot shorter. Lasers are fun, and I sailed a 16ft hobie in Cozumel a few months ago, very fun.