Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Torsion Cranking

I popped my "zoid" yesterday.

Site Supporter, Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    A "zoid" means you're a newbie/rookie (with only 27 posts) and that you have not made a monetary donation. Those individuals who make a $20 monetary donation to Vehicross.Info will have their rating changed to "Site Supporter". Having "zoid" is not a good thing to have, but we all started there in the beginning. Welcome to Vehicross.Info and we all look forward to your rating being changed to "Site Supporter" in the very near future!!!
    so when I donate the 20 bux can I still be a zoid

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by slutty22 View Post
    ...you'll be a full blown AWESOM'EST site supporter!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

after that comment

Quote Originally Posted by slutty22 View Post
    To us you will always be a Zoid. Trust me the people on here have great memories, a great deal of pantience, warped senses of humor and apparently endless time on their hands.

Except for me of course.

They also have a great deal of affinity for their VX and others who drive them.

I just put the socket on the torsion bar crank bolt to confirm that yes it is a 27mm. For reference, the bolts are inboard about 45 inches from where the front end of the lower control arms connect to the mounts on the frame.

Also it is important to keep score of the cranks and keep them equal at first. Then adjust for left/right level by measuring the distance from the top of the front tires to the 12 0'clock position on the lip of the wheel well immediately above. After my adjustments I drove the VX around the block to let everything settle in then did a fine tune.

I recommend the ball joint flip but that only really works with the spacers from Independent4X. It gives you a little over 1-quarter of an inch in height which equals a little less cranking on the torsion bars.

I thought the lift I did with 912s and 1-inch spacers improved performance and handling. I did get the bushings front and rear for stability.

Navi

All good. I only wanted to lift it about 1/2" which was just enough for extra clearance to test these new mudflaps. Turns out, I hate them, so they are coming back off anyways, heh.

And yep, a 27mm was the fit. A little blaster, a lift up, and turning was a piece of cake. Butter. Funny enough, I measured before I cranked anything and my pass, side was nearly 3/4" higher than my driver's side. Funny how some thinjgs go unnoticed. All good now though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Anyone remember how much lift per turn it is???

WormGod - good point about checking the height periodically, I've never checked mine.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 04/27/2009 at 11:48 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Torsion Bar cranking

I think that is roughly 3-4 turns per inch of lift.:bgwp:
    Dave
    Dreamers of the day are dangerous people, for they
    dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.

what sort of effect on the ride does cranking ya bars up 1" have ? is there any long term detriment to having them cranked up ? does it make the ride rougher than factory ?

I have mine up to 14 turns, its about 3" and the front end is alot softer, even at 9 turns it was pretty soft. I'd like some up-rated torsion bars to be honest
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by castigan View Post
    what sort of effect on the ride does cranking ya bars up 1" have ? is there any long term detriment to having them cranked up ? does it make the ride rougher than factory ?
    Cranking the T-bars won't have much effect on ride quality, as you're re-positioning the spring (torsion bar), not making it any stronger.

A slight (1") crank, puts more angle on the CV's, and will cause slightly more wear & tear, but many of us have been @ 3" or more, for many a mile, without any problems that new CV boots & grease wouldn't cure...

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Quote Originally Posted by castigan View Post
    Yea not really noticeable tho having ome912s in the back 100x better ride no more hitting the bumpstops

Castigan if you were in welly id let you have a drive of my vx and then you could see what a lifted one is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
    Yea not really noticeable tho having ome912s in the back 100x better ride no more hitting the bumpstops

Castigan if you were in welly id let you have a drive of my vx and then you could see what a lifted one is like.
    I think this would also be a factor in the front feeling softer after cranking the T-bars. More available up travel before hitting the bumps.

At the risk of being pointed to the search button I'm going to ask the obvious question:

Are there not pics of this on the forum somewhere? There's super detailed descriptions and discussions here, but one picture would be so much more self-explanatory.

Flame on!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    At the risk of being pointed to the search button I'm going to ask the obvious question:

Are there not pics of this on the forum somewhere? There's super detailed descriptions and discussions here, but one picture would be so much more self-explanatory.

Flame on!
    This is the best I could find for ya Dude...

Cleverly hidden within Rickshaws OME 912 how to...

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles...Bar_Adjustment