Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coolant temperature??

My reading on the dash shows half way between c | h when scan guage reads at 190. Give or take a few degrees on the dash reading.
    Live Free or DIE!

I remember at Moab back in May when we did the VX run at Elephant Hill everyone's temperature gauge was running a little high. I even had to shut off the AC a couple of times to bring it down.

I'm not sure if it was the steep inclines, 4x4ing, or what but I do remember everyone I talked to that did Elephant Hill had the same issue.

If I remember correctly, Larry from Houston had a rational reason why this was happening.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

At 190 degrees my temp gauge is around center, at 200* I see it move toward the H, at 210 I will see the gauge about 1/8 inch from hot. I have noticed the bugs in front of the radiator and will follow the advice given on cleaning them. Generally there are no problems with the temp, just with these hot days and running the AC going up and down mountains I have seen a difference. I also don't use 4th (D drive) in the city, and now if I do go up a long grade I will downshift to "3" which gives me another -5 degrees. I do remember in my '91 Trooper that AC or not, I'd go through Death Valley in Summer at 120 degrees with AC and the needle barely moved. Ah, the good old days.
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

We have noticed that it's hard to predict at which times the VX overheats, so other posts about the viscous coupling make sense. A larger radiator might do the trick - does anyone know where to get a three or four row radiator? Or which electric fan would work best?

thanks
    rob