Thread: Coolant temperature??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coolant temperature??

My scan gauge reads the temperature every 2 seconds. It bothers me just how quickly the temperature rises going uphill in 90+degree weather, but with AC on, I reach 210 in no time, sometimes up to 215 on longer hills. I actually downshift manually to drop a few degrees, also always in 3rd unless on HWY. Temp will drop very quickly levelling out or going downhill. What are your experiences with temperatures?
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

Something doesn't sound right here!
    Temp should not fluxuate that much during normal driving, even going up hill you should not flux more than a few degrees. I could understand if you were hauling a 5,000 lb. load uphill.
    Have your cooling system flushed lately?? Sounds as though there might be a blockage somewhere or your fluid is low.
    I just finished hauling a car over to the body shop with my Rodeo (3.2 motor) going up and down all kinds of hills(nothing is flat in Vermont)and the temp did not flux more than 10 degrees all the way.
    John

I believe average temp should be around 190. I could be wrong though. That's what my scan guage usually reads no matter what the temps outside or load on the VX. I live in N.H but it's been pretty hot here this summer.
    Live Free or DIE!

I get the feeling that there may be an obstruction in the cooling system, will have this checked out today. I hope it is not the thermostat, as that would be a pain.

Bert,
    How are you making out with the overheating problem? Any progress?
    John

Bear,

no time to deal with it yet. This wek off to the radiator guy. I will keep you abreast.

That temp is right in line with the design spec - newer engines run hotter for emissions reasons - I see similar temps on my '99 and my GF's '01. Realize water does NOT boil or turn to steam @ 220 in a pressurized cooling system.
    What does the temp gauge on the dash say?
    What is your coolant mix?
    When was the last time it was flushed and refilled with the proper coolant mix?
    I wouldn't run to the radiator man until you consider those changes.

thanks Tone,

coolant is 50/50, was flushed by Isuzu in Montrose six months ago. Like I stated, only if hot (90-105degrees) going uphill with AC on will I see temps to 207, highest 213, but then turned off AC and back down to 200, flat or going downhill right back to 195....on a hot day. Normal operating, outside 80-90 degrees, runs 179-185 degrees.

I'm having a similar issue. Just did the 60K service and had the coolant flushed (plus new timing belt, fluids, etc). I'm noticing that the temp is climbing whne I accelerate above 80 MPH, especially on hills. I'm thinking that the flush has caused a blockage somewhere. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. I'm assuming the timing belt on the Isuzu Motor also runs the water pump?

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I had my front end off this weekend and I noticed an amazing amount of insect debris in the radiator. I've never seen one get packed up like this, there has to be a serious restriction in airflow as a result.

Could something as simple as bug guts be contributing to your problem (mine runs hot as well, not so noticeable on the stock gauge, but engine stays hot for hours after shutdown)?

Question Running Hot with Air Condition```

Hope you find out something with this,i have had this same problem with my 99 ironman since day 1, hot summer temp with Air running ,= almost running hot to running hot all the way to the "H" all hills here in Western nc "big ones!"..had it check over 3 or 4 times without any answers, i put water wetter in from time to time alone with 50/50 mix Anti freze/Water..tried every % including 100% Water... no different..i do not take to the Beach just because of this problem...in the winter, no problems at all, Im thinkiong design flaw or engineer flaw from issue... "TONE" you may know more or something different, as you seem to know these SUV'S inside and out as well or better than any....
    From The Mind Of Lashsquat