Thread: Transmission mode switch, right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

mode switch

The thing that sucks most about the issue is that it is very inconsistent... But... If you are taking it to a shop to show them what is wrong, DON'T shut off the motor... Let it run, because if you shut it off, chances are the VX won't show the symptoms when you start it up again. I had that happen twice before I left the thing running, ran in and got the tech and had him ride with me to feel the slam-shifting. But, again, chances are the tech won't know what it is anyway. My rule-of-thumb is, replace the cheap stuff first before going for the guts of the tranny. Check your symptoms against all those that have been reported on this site. Watch for dash gear indicator light anomalies. The replacement Mode Switch is only about $150ish... and is a do-it-yourself replacement. I hope this all helps.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75
    The thing that sucks most about the issue is that it is very inconsistent... But... If you are taking it to a shop to show them what is wrong, DON'T shut off the motor... Let it run, because if you shut it off, chances are the VX won't show the symptoms when you start it up again. I had that happen twice before I left the thing running, ran in and got the tech and had him ride with me to feel the slam-shifting. But, again, chances are the tech won't know what it is anyway. My rule-of-thumb is, replace the cheap stuff first before going for the guts of the tranny. Check your symptoms against all those that have been reported on this site. Watch for dash gear indicator light anomalies. The replacement Mode Switch is only about $150ish... and is a do-it-yourself replacement. I hope this all helps.
    Great, thanks for the help. After reading like 3 or 4 threads on here, it seems like a 90% chance this is the issue (at least I hope so, since $150 and a DIY job sounds good compared to a tranny rebuild on a truck I just bought!). I suppose I can get this part from Merlin. I will call him on Friday and order it up. My only worry is that I don't want to do any damage by driving like this, but I guess I can just park, and try again until it stops doing it. Like I said, I have have the truck for only 3 days, and it only did it once, so hopefully this problem does not happen frequently.

Thanks -Bart