Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission mode switch, right?

1999, white, vehicross (iron-man edition), 0632

Transmission mode switch, right?

Okay, I've been reading all the threads from the past 3 years about transmissions clunking between 2nd and 3rd gear. I understand that the problem is most likely my mode switch/ selector. I have 32,000 miles on my VX, and I did just have the tranny serviced/ flushed, etc. People's Isuzu here in Las Vegas quoted me $178.82 for the new mode switch; St.Charles Isuzu quoted me $121.88 (Thanks for the number Tone!). St. Charles called the part a position switch. Is this the same part as the mode switch? I've also heard it called a mode selector, and then I have heard of a mode switch connector. I believe the mode switch connector is an additonal piece. If you buy a new mode switch, does a new connector come with it? Could one part be bad, but not the other? I would hate to order one part, replace it, then still have my tranny clunk. It doesn't happen all the time, but you know, I'm sure that the hard shifting is bad for my transmission. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated even though great people like Tone, Anita, and Joe Black have commented on this problem before. Thanks. JL
    Last edited by Lampster : 08/29/2005 at 09:36 PM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Are you the first owner? If not, a previous owner may have installed a trans. interceptor. This would account for the more aggresive (read clunk+kick in the pants) shifts. If that's the case, it can probably be adjusted.

Ldub

1999, white, vehicross (iron-man edition), 0632
    Ldub, thanks for the info. I am the 2nd owner (the 1st gave him up for adoption) and as far as I know, there is not an interceptor on the transmission. I have had the VX for 2 1/2 years now, and this just started a month or two ago.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Kinda shoots my theory in the foot :homer: ...oh well, hope someone around here will be of more help.

Ldub

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    I looked up my service invoice for the mode switch replacement. I had the really violent jerking going on when the truck shifted between gears.

Cause: Internal Failure
    051414D R&R Inhibitor switch
    76 WI
    8-96017-511-0 Switch, Position

FC:44
    Part#: 8-96017-511-0

49610 Mode switch internal failure, etc...

"Performed scan tool diag. found DTC P0705. Performed Diag. trouble tree found mode switch to have internal failure. Replaced mode switch cleared code and road tested vehicle. Trans shifting correctly at this time"
    I do not know what the cost is. At the time it was covered by warranty. My mechanic said that he saw the mode switch fail on VX's with as little as 20K to mid 40's.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Hey fellow LV'gan!

Hey there, I'm in Henderson... I had the same problem about a year ago and replaced the mode selector with total success! If you want, pm me and maybe we can hook up and I'll check out your VX's symptoms to see if they are the same as mine were. (or is yours as sporatic as mine was?)... anyhow, it'd be cool to meet you!
    ---JIM---
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Another indicator that it is the Mode Position Switch is that the light illuminating the shifter position on the dash will go dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    Are you the first owner? If not, a previous owner may have installed a trans. interceptor. This would account for the more aggresive (read clunk+kick in the pants) shifts. If that's the case, it can probably be adjusted.

Ldub

Hey, I just posted a new thread about a similar "kick in the pants" shift. I thought it was from 1st gear into 2nd, but maybe it is 2nd to 3rd. It happens right around 20 mph. I am a brand new owner, I've had it for 3.5 days only, and I took a short drive (about 3 miles) where the trans was clunking like this. Then I stopped the truck, took a lunch break and drove back to work with no clunking. Hopefully this isnt a huge problem. Gaaaad I hope not!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75
    Hey there, I'm in Henderson... I had the same problem about a year ago and replaced the mode selector with total success! If you want, pm me and maybe we can hook up and I'll check out your VX's symptoms to see if they are the same as mine were. (or is yours as sporatic as mine was?)... anyhow, it'd be cool to meet you!
    ---JIM---
    Hey, I just had this sporatic shift problem today with my new (used) VX. I'm gonna have to look into this mode switch issue. Anything else I should know from your experience?

Thanks - Bart

mode switch

The thing that sucks most about the issue is that it is very inconsistent... But... If you are taking it to a shop to show them what is wrong, DON'T shut off the motor... Let it run, because if you shut it off, chances are the VX won't show the symptoms when you start it up again. I had that happen twice before I left the thing running, ran in and got the tech and had him ride with me to feel the slam-shifting. But, again, chances are the tech won't know what it is anyway. My rule-of-thumb is, replace the cheap stuff first before going for the guts of the tranny. Check your symptoms against all those that have been reported on this site. Watch for dash gear indicator light anomalies. The replacement Mode Switch is only about $150ish... and is a do-it-yourself replacement. I hope this all helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75
    The thing that sucks most about the issue is that it is very inconsistent... But... If you are taking it to a shop to show them what is wrong, DON'T shut off the motor... Let it run, because if you shut it off, chances are the VX won't show the symptoms when you start it up again. I had that happen twice before I left the thing running, ran in and got the tech and had him ride with me to feel the slam-shifting. But, again, chances are the tech won't know what it is anyway. My rule-of-thumb is, replace the cheap stuff first before going for the guts of the tranny. Check your symptoms against all those that have been reported on this site. Watch for dash gear indicator light anomalies. The replacement Mode Switch is only about $150ish... and is a do-it-yourself replacement. I hope this all helps.
    Great, thanks for the help. After reading like 3 or 4 threads on here, it seems like a 90% chance this is the issue (at least I hope so, since $150 and a DIY job sounds good compared to a tranny rebuild on a truck I just bought!). I suppose I can get this part from Merlin. I will call him on Friday and order it up. My only worry is that I don't want to do any damage by driving like this, but I guess I can just park, and try again until it stops doing it. Like I said, I have have the truck for only 3 days, and it only did it once, so hopefully this problem does not happen frequently.

Thanks -Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Another indicator that it is the Mode Position Switch is that the light illuminating the shifter position on the dash will go dark.
    I've had that happpen, the fuse would blow for the tail lights and the dash selector goes dark. Shifts like crap, really hard until the fuse is replace. Took it in once, the mechanic was kinda dumbfounded. Later the problem went away. So the mode position switch is the culprit?

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Quote Originally Posted by volume311
    I've had that happpen, the fuse would blow for the tail lights and the dash selector goes dark. Shifts like crap, really hard until the fuse is replace. Took it in once, the mechanic was kinda dumbfounded. Later the problem went away. So the mode position switch is the culprit?
    Interesting thing is with your tail lights going out as well, it sounds like a wire grounding out. I havent heard of the mode switch affecting tail lights. Several of us had the tail lights and dash lights go out only to find that there was a wire grounding out behind and below the drivers side headlight where a wiring harness runs which blew the corresponding fuse.

I believe the mode switch going out can affect the shifter position lights... not the whole dash.

My dash lights were fine actually. The only thing that was affected was the shifting (rough), the selector lights on the dash were blank, and the 15A fuse for the tail lights blows out. This happend on and off for a little while and then suddenly stopped and went away. This is on a Rodeo Sport btw. I figured it was a loose wire somewhere but looking for it might take forever.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Cool My Proton is confused...

Anita,

The part number (above) is of much help. thx.

Everywhere on this site people refer to this part as the "mode selector switch", etc... However, when I put the part number you provided into isuzuparts.com it comes up as a "NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH, Vehicross".

Is the "Neutral Safety Switch" the same thing as a "Mode Selector Switch"?

Thanks.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.