Thread: More Isuzu Crap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More Isuzu Crap

A little over a year ago, I took my VX into Isuzu to get 2 things done:
    1. Hood Insert cracked down the middle (replaced)
    2. Window problem (passenger and driver, both replaced)

Well, I bet you can guess where this is going, but here's the rest of the good news. I have 47K miles on my 2001 vehicross and I'm the original owner. I also just threw about $1200 into it (3 months ago) for a full tune-up and tires:

Hood insert is now peeling up in one corner - not covered by warranty, even though they botched the install. $380 + $94.00 for labor
    Window - not covered, you know the drill. I'm about to go try the Moncha (or Tone, I can't remember) fix.
    Cold Start - Grinding noise - unable to recreate. Happens every time I start it.
    Master Flow sensor to fix start problems and low/high idle - $150 + $47 labor
    Recommended Isuzu Air Filter (I have a K&N on it currently, and they can blow me... no pun intended.) - $25
    Courtesy Isuzu's damn service number - 303-795-4087

Anyway, I don't know how I'm going to handle all of this BS, but I can tell you I'm not happy. This is what I'm thinking, but if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them:

Window - The window, I can live with once I try the Moncha fix I learned of here. If they fix it, it'll just break anyway, so I might as well try a DIY solution. The only question I have is "How do I get the door panel off safely?"

Master Flow - The Master Flow Sensor seems exorbitant, but I couldn't find anything on that part in the forums. I may go to get a second opinion from a non-isuzu place that I trust.

Hood insert - I think I'm going to kick and scream about shoddy workmanship regarding the hood insert until they agree to fix it (note: I could probably just fix it with something that binds plastic to metal, but I want these people to be accountable for their crappy work)

Air Filter - No Warranty anyway, and K & N is about 10 times better quality than any factory air filter in my opinion. Screw 'em.

Cold Start/Grinding Noise - When I go to pick it up, I'll just show them the ridiculously loud noise.

Anyway, I'm posting all this here partially out of frustration, but also asking for any advice on how to get this stuff fixed as best I can, without blowing another $700 on my vehicle. How important is the master flow sensor? I've been trying to avoid the DIY approach due to lack of time, but is it finally time to take matters into my own hands and pretend like isuzu only exists as a drivetrain company?

Thanks in advance, and I love this site, even though I'm a bit of a lurker. Maybe I should send you guys some money someday

Just got off the phone with Courtesy Isuzu.

- No budging on the hood insert. They claim it's a design flaw.
    - No budging on the window fix. They claim it's a design flaw.
    - No budging on the Air Filter - They claim that the oil from the K&N air filter dripped into the mass air flow sensor (I misunderstood the correct name) and shorted some of the wires. They're not sure it will fix the problem, but they still recommend an Isuzu air filter and a replacement of the mass air flow sensor. This is what's causing the low idle problem (possibly).

That's about it. I'm going to get the oil changed and do the rest myself. Hope this helps someone.

Soooo.... design flaw makes it whose fault?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by transio
    Soooo.... design flaw makes it whose fault?
    Yeah WTF?
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

is the check engine light on ? if the M.A.F. sensor is shorted the check engine light would be on.if too much oil is used on the k&n filter it can cause problems with the M.A.F. sensor. if the light is not on i would try cleaning the M.A.F. sensor. shawn
    1COOLVX

Use brake cleaner instead of trying to clean the wires by hand - much safer and better. Remove the MAF from the intake tube to clean.

Low idle is usually caused by the idle control valve being stuck (it is located on the throttle body and held in place with 2 torx screws)

I was under the impression that a first owner of a 2001 model has a 5yr/60,000 mile bumper tp bumper warranty? On your hood insert - it is bolted to the metal part of the hood, not glued. Did a nut back off? Just pull the insulation retainer pins and look for the bolt/nut in that corner. It's also posible that the bolt has come unglued from the back of the insert, in which case ou'll have to remove it and re-glue.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"