Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big lifting for the VX

Big lifting for the VX

Is there any option to lift the VX higher than 3"? I am getting ready to buy one and all I have found is this kit from DOR products. Also, is this all I would need if I decided to go with this one or is there anything else I would need to get/do to make it work? Please help!!

-Josh-

Use the search...there is plenty of info posted on this board about lifts. In a nut shell unless you op for the custom fab route (SAS) you are stuck with 3 inches. Two ways are the OME prings or the Calmini set up. The CVs can't handle much more than 3 inches of lift and the axles can't handle much more than 33 inch tires if you use it off road.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

OME 912's and a 3" body lift will get you ~ 6". The body lift isn't hard at all except when it comes to the rear bumper.

What is involved in the body lift? I imagine that you disconnect the body from the frame and insert spacers of some sort. Is that it in a nutshell?
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Where do you get the body lift from?

I think the hard part about the rear is you have to refab mounts for your rear bumper or something?
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Independent 4X is where I got my lift from. Best to call and ask for Matt. It's actually a Trooper kit so with a little common sense you will figure out which parts can be drilled/welded to work on a VX. I will be posting some pictures of what I did to mine this weekend for another member. What I did was cut off the last cross member on the rear of the frame and re-welded it to the top of the frame rails just under the body.

http://www.independent4x.com/

With the OME 912's which rear spring upgrades do you suggest? I've read on here that it's a good idea to get longer ones so as to gain some attenuation in the rear. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but I heard that OME's with a tortion bar twist in the front would do the trick. Do you need to replace the springs in front for this and is it a permanent fix???

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by wrestler11
    With the OME 912's which rear spring upgrades do you suggest? I've read on here that it's a good idea to get longer ones so as to gain some attenuation in the rear. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but I heard that OME's with a tortion bar twist in the front would do the trick. Do you need to replace the springs in front for this and is it a permanent fix???
    OME 912's are the rear springs & there is also a 1" spacer you can add.
    The front uses torsion bars, which can be cranked to add lift.
    I don't know what attenuation is, so can't help ya there.
    Also, if you're going for max lift, a front differential drop bracket is commonly used to reduce the angle on the cv's.
    For more info. on lifts etc., try using the "search" function.

OME912's are springs. Thy replace your rear spings to acheive the lift. The VX does not have springs in the front. It uses torsion bars. The OME springs/torsion bar adjust is a perminent lift. With only 3 inches of lift you can keep the factory shocks.

LDUB you must've been sending as I was typing! LOL

I think what he meant was articulation!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    LDUB you must've been sending as I was typing! LOL

I think what he meant was articulation!
    What can I say...great minds think in like direction.
    Too funny.

When I did my OME912 spring lift, I used longer shocks on the rear and kept the front at stock length. I believe using the stock shocks limits the travel too much with the longer springs, but you have to be sure to tie the springs down at the bottom or risk them being able to come loose. I'm not sure if the 1" spacer corrects this problem - maybe someone else can answer that? I cranked the front up about 3" and have since done the ball joint flip to decrease the CV joint angle.
    Last edited by kpaske : 10/24/2005 at 10:11 PM
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

kpaske, the ball joint flip does nothing for your cv angle. It mearly gives more play when they are aligning your front end. The only thing you can do to relieve the cv angle is to use differential drop brackets.

K, well, I officially feel like an idiot... :-) When I said "springs" I meant "shocks" and when I said "attenuation" I meant "articulation"...wow...I must have been tired this morning. I'm gonne repost that with the right words and see if you guys can't help me out...AGAIN...(Thanks so much, really!!) Also, keep in mind that i'm trying to figure out a lift configuration that'll allow me to put on 31"-33" tires without having to trim fenders or do anything drastic.

-With the OME 912's which rear SHOCK upgrades do you suggest? I've read on here that it's a good idea to get longer ones so as to gain some ARTICULATION in the rear. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but I heard that OME's with a tortion bar twist in the front would do the trick. Do you need to replace the SHOCKS in front for this and is it a permanent fix???-

There...now I don't sound so stupid...heehee :-D

What Shock P/N did you use?

Don't mean to highjack here, but quick question.

kpaske-
    I need new shocks, and I'm lifted (912s and a spacer). I want the 9000's but the part number listed by Rancho on their site is too short to give me any more articulation, and Rancho is no help for alternatives. What p/n did you end up getting for the Rancho 9000s to give you the length and mounting you needed?