Thread: VX won't Start!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry VX won't Start!!!!!!!!!!!

I went out to start it this morning and nothing only a stuttering sound from the ignition. I checked the oil and the dipstick is bone dry...........

I can't believe this. I was hoping it is the battery, but radio and lights work fine.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Could be a lot of things, Joe. You might have a good battery, but a bad starter. Top off your oil, though - that should never be a surprise to have low oil. If you didn't see it coming, you have not been monitoring it closely enough.

Starter? Definately fill the oil first though!

Vehigaz...you must have been sending as I was typing!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I had the exact same thing happen to me last week. Engine wouldn't start, sounded like the starter crapped out or the engine wouldn't budge (I don't know the difference). Thought it was the battery, so I charged it overnight. Radio worked fine, lights, doors, etc. were good. Still wouldn't start. Dipstick was dry as a bone. Uh-oh. Put more oil in, still wouldn't start. Had the car towed, but it turned out to be just a dead battery. Replaced it and everything else is fine now.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Triathlete... HAH!!! What a funny co-inky-dink!!!

Yes, don't forget that your battery may be strong enough to run the radio and lights, but not strong enough to turn the engine over. Unfortunately, the only way to tell what's going on is from the sound it is making.

Next time with the headlights on try and turn it over, if the headlights go real dim or out your battery is low but if the headlights dim about half or just alittle your battery has enough juice. This is just a quick check if your out stranded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the info guys........

You save me a lot of money in towing charges......

The problem was the battery. I replaced it and everything seems fine. I still want to have everything checked to make sure it's not the alternator.

Question

Joe,
    My question would have to be..Where did all the oil go? Yours was not the first VX that showed the same symptoms(No start,no oil). Any guesses from anybody? Is there a corollation between the oil and the battery, starter or alternator? Nothing I can think of.
    John

My question would have to be..Where did all the oil go?
    The oil fairies .... okay, maybe not but there are several threads on this topic! Good luck...hope its nothing serious.

The relationship would be less than ideal maintenance on the vehicle. Oil needs to be checked at least weekly and more if you drive long or hard. Hope it hadn't been driven too long with that low level of oil....when was it checked last? Regular oil changes are VERY important to the life of any small engine and ours specifically. A good battery like an Optima are much more foregiving of leaving the interior light on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    The relationship would be less than ideal maintenance on the vehicle. Oil needs to be checked at least weekly and more if you drive long or hard. Hope it hadn't been driven too long with that low level of oil....when was it checked last? Regular oil changes are VERY important to the life of any small engine and ours specifically. A good battery like an Optima are much more foregiving of leaving the interior light on.
    I have to admit that I have not been checking the oil regularly. I do change it every 6 to 8 weeks (when commuting) and was planning to have it done this weekend. I have never found it more that a quart low......