Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long Term Storage

I am going to work and stay at the Montado dos Aviceiros on the island of Madeira. I will be helping with their harvest and chopping wood for winter. When spring time comes I will be planting trees to help rebuild the forest that was devastated last year by fires, and also tend to the crops on the farm. I just decided to take a break from the hustle and bustle of CT, USA. On the mountain there is peace and quiet, I like that. Living off the land, no pressing deadlines, no electricity, no telemarketers, no unwanted visitors (unless they wanna hike 3 km up a mountain). A true paradise. Views like these are an everyday thing:

Those are the tops of clouds...

This is Curral das Freiras ('Nuns Valley'). The picture doesnt do it justice...

Thanks for the offer to take care of my VX, but I have since moved to Westbrook, so its a little far from you. And the garage is actually built into the hill the house sits on and there is a tunnel that goes from the garage to the house basement. So letting anyone in would be the same as giving them the keys to my house. Thank you very much for the offer though I really do appreciate it. As for the tires, they are 16s but my friend Tim already gave me a down payment. Thanks again George.

I would probably wipe down all rubber components (door seals, cv boots, etc)with silicone spray to help keep them from drying.
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

I would probably wipe down all rubber components (door seals, cv boots, etc)with silicone spray to help keep them from drying.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidVX
    And the garage is actually built into the hill the house sits on and there is a tunnel that goes from the garage to the house basement. So letting anyone in would be the same as giving them the keys to my house. Thank you very much for the offer though I really do appreciate it.
    Sounds like the Batcave to me. If your Vx was an ebony.....

Yeah I was going to do that. I would really rather not replace everything when I get back.

Sounds like the Batcave to me. If your Vx was an ebony.....
    LOL I never thought of that. Now I have a cool name for it. Thanks!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Wow, Kevin, that sounds amazing! Such a bold change of lifestyle, too! Sounds like a bit of a spiritual retreat. I wish you the best on Madeira!

You're right - Westbrook is a bit far for me.

Running away Kevin????? I hope your girfriend is going with you
    Follow all the advise on this posting and you should have no problems when you come back. Don't cover the VX up though...block the windows in the garage to keep those nasty UV rays out and you should be golden (paint needs to breathe so it doesn't crack (I found out the hard way when I put my 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster in storage for two years and put a cover on it).
    Hope to see you on October 1st in Brookline and we all hope you can log on a few times from there to keep us posted.
    John

Thanks for the advise John. I will go to Funchal probably once a week and use the hotels wireless internet from the cafe' in their lobby, I can log on from there.

Sadly Tara and I have gone our seperate ways. I am just not ready to settle down. We are still friends and I will see if she will come to Brookline, but I doubt it. My schedule has been moved up a tad and I might not even be able to come, but I will do my best.

The only windows in my garage are on the door, and they are already covered with stainless sheet metal I had left over from an old job. So no UVs will be eating my paint.

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Kevin,
    That's too bad about Tara....thought you two made good couple.
    Anyway, I hope you can still take the VX out for one last excusion on the 1st before you block her in the "tomb" for two years.
    If you can't make it I'll understand but do keep in touch from th mountain side once in a while.
    Hope to see you before you go....John