Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible spoiler swap with Dodge stealth?

i doubt tat a wing would create tat much drag, a roof basket, or a front rack would probably cause more drag then a wing. just look at big rigs, its more important to push air out of the way then it is to smooth it as it leaves the tail of the car.

as Joe_Black said, just cause they look similar doesnt meant tat they are, im not sure if isuzu acutally wind tunneled the vx, but i would assume tat mitsu/dodge would(seeing how the stealth/3000gt was their flagship car). their purpose might not be the same, i would expect the stealth would try to get the air off the rear truck deck to help minimize drag, just look at where the steatlh's wing is mounted, its right behind the window. it would probably make more sense (might not look better or fit) to use a wing off a hatchback, ie civic hatchback.

but to each its own, i personally would go for it since it will give the vx a more agressibe look.

What about the area where the VX spoiler actually finishes off the ends of the roof racks - that's not going to mate up with the Stealth spoiler, and will look unfinished without a LOT of "fabbing"
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

spoiler

i got a 2001 vx now, but i still like my japenese version spoiler that i got back in 1998 in hong kong, the special spoiler is slightly bigger than the original one, and with color coded, anyone may know if we can get it, please let us know.

Thumbs up

Hey Vehix, That's my buddy's car in your post (blue RT) Do you know Eric? His parents live in NH but he's in SC.
    Personally I don't think that the banana wing of the Stealth is going to look so hot on our VX's but that's my thoughts. The stealth spoiler has tow much of a curve on it - I think. (That banana wing is different than the VR4 wing)

Andy
    VR4
    VX
    R1
    VFR
    Andy C
    01 Firefox VX
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC
    Hey Vehix, That's my buddy's car in your post (blue RT) Do you know Eric? His parents live in NH but he's in SC.
    Personally I don't think that the banana wing of the Stealth is going to look so hot on our VX's but that's my thoughts. The stealth spoiler has tow much of a curve on it - I think. (That banana wing is different than the VR4 wing)

Andy
    VR4
    VX
    R1
    VFR
    Hi Andy -

No, I do not know Eric

I just did a google image search to find pics of the stealth spoiler. Huh, small world and quite the coincidence

Anyway, as previously stated, I think it's possible to do the swap with a little tweaking, never said it would bolt right up. I won't be able to pursue this project until next summer though due to financial reasons and other things going on. This was just an idea to share with you all. Take it for what it's worth
    Live Free or DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by sean_grigoros
    i got a 2001 vx now, but i still like my japenese version spoiler that i got back in 1998 in hong kong, the special spoiler is slightly bigger than the original one, and with color coded, anyone may know if we can get it, please let us know.
    the wing will cost about 700usd when i asked last year...

The absolute, most important thing that you need to consider with the design of a spoiler is its looks, because after everything is said and done, that is its most import design purpose. The stealth looking different from the 300GT for example... I mean they look different but are bot two different shells of a mitsubisi car, kinda iranic that is spoiler came from this car with this discussion. I think there's too much credit given for the wrong thing. I mean air flow can be as important as it can be tricky, but it kinda boils down to image despite how useful one can be, eom is not some sort of vacination to rice.
    If you want to consider the usefulnes, remember to direct the air down at the rear of the VX. IT's about the air-seperation at the tail: a wide seperation area means you are sort of pulling or "dragging" around this big bubble behind you.. picture a golf ball, that's why it's not smooth. There was a good discussion about roof racks and tires if you want to look into it, should relate. Good luck with the install, I can't wait to see the pics..

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Rizzo
    The absolute, most important thing that you need to consider with the design of a spoiler is its looks, because after everything is said and done, that is its most import design purpose.
    LOL. That's funny, I thought the most important design purpose was aerodynamics - downforce and decrease of turbulance!
    Steve

I eventually wrote that. just take the example and look at a golf ball. That rough skin stirs up the air around it in order to delay the air separation from it's surfce downwind. A spoiler does this with a smoother flow of air because in theory, you can control which end is pointed foward. It's a means to control the airflow vorticies created from friction and form drag so that the air converges better aft of the vehicle. I'm sure they put enfaces into airflow, but the determining factor though is of coarse image of the vehicle...
    I just enjoy seeing people mod their cars, and adding personality. I also don't think that a different spoiler will be so adverse to the design that it will change the performance so much.