Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible spoiler swap with Dodge stealth?

Possible spoiler swap with Dodge stealth?

Hi folks -

So I was parked next a a 91-96 Dodge stealth ES and couldn't help but notice the spoiler on the Stealth ES looks amazingly identical to the VX except it's longer front to back. I looked at my VX and the stealth parked next to it from behind and it looks like with a little tweaking, it may be possible to swap the stealth spoiler with the VX for those wanting a differnt look with the spoiler. I'm having a hard time locating good pictures of this particular spoiler so if you have any or no someone with a 91-96 Dodge stealth, check out the spoiler.

Anyway, just throwing it out there is a possible mod for those interested

check the pics:

Live Free or DIE!

Bah! Why stop there? Go for the BIG DAWG!

Seriously though, if you look at the stealth spoiler, it looks just like the VX spoiler except it's slightly larger front to back. It has to be the 91-96 stealth ES model though. I don't think it would look out of place like some big ricey spoiler

well since its not so big i dont really see a point..

Hmm, i never noticed that. I had a 91 Stealth before the VX and had the spoiler removed because I thought it was fugly. I think the stealth one is a little bit more curvacious than the vx. Good luck if you do it.

Swapping out a poiler doesn't mean you have to make your car look like a grocery cart by adding some rediculiously huge spoiler that, on most cars, serves no purpose at all (rear down force on a front wheel drive vehicle being one of them).

I guess my thoughts for looking in to this would allow one to be different from other VX'ers by having a spoiler that appears to share the same curvature and look but would hang over the back of the VX a little more then the stock one and maybe even be functional to a certain degree.

I wish I could find a spare stealth spoiler but would really like to see some close up shots to share with you folks so you can invision what I'm talking about.

I'll grab my camera on lunch break and takes pics of the one I park next to so you'll have an idea.

I understand some mods aren't for everyone, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I just like to find new ideas for the VX that most out there aren't willing to even consider unless everyone else is doing it or wait for someone else to try/do it first. Like the clear corner miata lights I found were pretty much identical to the VX a while back. Just something different and something simple that is easily affordable to set you aside from the rest of the herd. No one is making anything for the VX as far as mods go aside from a handfull of items, so I thought I'd just throw this out there as another possible mod

well the spoiler on teh us vx acutally serves a purpose....it keeps the rain/junk off our rear wind sheild

I just went out and snapped some pics of both spoilers. Will need to wait til I get home tonight to post them. I also took a real quick messurment and it looks like the posts are about 17 inches apart on both the VX and the stealth. This was by all means not a very accurate measurement as it was starting to rain and I was more focused on getting the pics for now.

As far as covering the back window from rain and snow, the stealth spoiler will stick out towards the back further than the VX. The stealth spoiler also feels to be of better quality than the VX, it feels thicker and heavier, it doesn't feel like plastic.

I'll post the pics tonight and see if I can get closer measurements on both of them. That may not happen til tomorrow though.

I think the pics I just took will give you all a better idea of how identical these two spoilers are

I'm sure some modification will be required to actually bolt it up but not much at all. We'll see

I think it's a great idea!

My spoiler looks like crap...all faded. The Stealth spoiler may be an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks fot the tip!
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Arrow

Here's the pics I took of the stealth spoiler today along with some approximate specs.

The stealth spoiler is about 4 ft wide, the VX is slightly shorter. The stealth is about 10 inches in the middle from front to back compared to the VX's approximate 6 inches. The posts are about 16 1/2 - 17 inches apart on both. Both spoilers have 3 posts (mounting). The specs are not exactly accurate but I wanted to get an idea of what we're dealing with here. I would actually need to take them both off and swap them out to see what would need to be done in order to accomplish the swap.

Here's the pics of the car at my work parking lot. It's not mine and it looks like crap

Let me know what ya think?

Last edited by VehiX : 10/12/2005 at 03:07 PM

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970
    I say go for it, don't think it will look that bad at all!!
    The price you pay to be different......

Arrow

As MZ-N10 points out, our spoiler serves a purpose and even though the Stealth looks similar it can't replace the VX's feature. Take a good look at the underside of our spoiler and you'll see what I mean. It really isn't a spoiler at all but serves two important functions. It directs air over the rear glass to keep it relatively clear in the absence of a rear wiper, but more importantly it smoothes the airflow at the most turbulent portion of the body which reduces drag. Lose that spoiler and lose a few miles per gallon.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    As MZ-N10 points out, our spoiler serves a purpose and even though the Stealth looks similar it can't replace the VX's feature. Take a good look at the underside of our spoiler and you'll see what I mean. It really isn't a spoiler at all but serves two important functions. It directs air over the rear glass to keep it relatively clear in the absence of a rear wiper, but more importantly it smoothes the airflow at the most turbulent portion of the body which reduces drag. Lose that spoiler and lose a few miles per gallon.
    Due to the almost indetical design, I can't see how it would make much of a difference?

The stealth spoiler is longer front to back and will hang out over the back window about 4 inches past stock. It's also slightly wider so it may hang over the sides of the VX a little. The edges (left and right sides) are more curved towards the front of the vehicle giving a more rounded appearance that I think would complement the curves on the VX rather nicely.

As far as air flow, the underside of the stealth spoiler is pretty much the same as the VX. From what I can see, the shape of the front of the spoiler is what will direct air down over the back window. The front section of both spoilers is pretty much identical. Have you looked closely at the stealth spoiler compared to the VX?

Either way, it's still just another possible mod which is the only reason I'm posting about this. With all the VX's out there that have lift kits, Bigger tires, AC running, roofs racks with full size spares on them, I'm sure some will want to shoot for this mod if it works because, as expensive as gas is these days, not too many VX'ers are really THAT concerned about it
    Last edited by VehiX : 10/13/2005 at 07:48 AM

Solution to Faded Spoiler...

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogVX
    My spoiler looks like crap...all faded. The Stealth spoiler may be an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks fot the tip!
    You really don't need to replace the spoiler because it's faded, all you need is Mother's Back to Black trim restorer to make ALL the black extereior parts of the VX look like new. The sun fades everything over time, so continuous maintenance with the right products will keep your vx looking like new. $4 @ AutoZone.
    NAVIGATOR

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by VehiX
    Due to the almost indetical design, I can't see how it would make much of a difference?

The stealth spoiler is longer front to back and will hang out over the back window about 4 inches past stock. It's also slightly wider so it may hang over the sides of the VX a little. The edges (left and right sides) are more curved towards the front of the vehicle giving a more rounded appearance that I think would complement the curves on the VX rather nicely.

As far as air flow, the underside of the stealth spoiler is pretty much the same as the VX. From what I can see, the shape of the front of the spoiler is what will direct air down over the back window. The front section of both spoilers is pretty much identical. Have you looked closely at the stealth spoiler compared to the VX?

Either way, it's still just another possible mod which is the only reason I'm posting about this. With all the VX's out there that have lift kits, Bigger tires, AC running, roofs racks with full size spares on them, I'm sure some will want to shoot for this mod if it works because, as expensive as gas is these days, not too many VX'ers are really THAT concerned about it
    I didn't mean to come off negative towards this, just informative of the possible consequences. Aerodynamics are very subtle and just "looking similar" doesn't guarantee similar results. The aft section of the VX wing is much more aggressive and tailored to the shape of the rear contour, whereas the Stealth's leading edge is designed more for clearance than flow and has no trailing edge camber. The Stealth design is for smoothing the flow for the rear deck which the VX doesn't have. I've got a Stealth and a 3000GT at my office to look at.

It would certainly give the VX a different look and should be pretty cheap to get one as there's usually a good supply of donors at most salvage yards.