Thread: Can The VX be towed full time?

Question Can The VX be towed full time?

Hi, I am looking to buy a VX to use as a dinghy towing car behing my Rv, I have always been a big fan of this model and I think is the perfect 4WD dinghy mostly because of the light weight, excellent performace and equipment.
    I contact many dealers and some said it can be towed and some said the contrary. I call Isuzu in California and the consumer department toll that it is flat towable but only for 50 miles , ( suzuki says the same for the vitara and every RVer uses as a full time dinghy car ) and of course they tried to sell me the new ascender.

Does anybody have any experience about this topic? Or know about any modification that can be done to use it, without disconecting the transmition ?

Any info will be highly apreciated
    Thanks
    Andres

At least one mod you'd probably want would me manual hubs to replace the flanges on the front axles.

Dunno about towing full-time.

-Daver
    -Daver

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    crfandy,

First off, welcome!

According to the owners manual, towing is not recommended.
    Also, the VX isn't that light, at over 3900 lbs.
    The best mod. for the VX to make it towable?, a trailer.
    Hope any of this helps, Ldub

I may have to tow mine across the country behind a U-Haul here in a few months; what about using one of those "front wheel" type trailers that only spins the rear axle?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    At least one of our members has seen a VX being used as a dinghy. It popped up in a thread a couple of months ago.

From what I understand is if you tow a long distance the transmission can overheat as the trans fluid in there is not being pumped around by the engine. I guess if there is a way to tow with rear axle up you could do it.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

No Tow

I haven't toweed the VX but have had the horrible experience of towing a miata on a two wheeler with the gear stick in first and wondering why I couldn't get up to 50 on the freeway.
    I would assume the trans oil would boil in a VX just like it did in the Miata, real smelly and lotsa smoke, Oh did I mention expensive too.
    Go ahead tow it but keep looking over yer shoulder for the tell tale clouds of smoke!!
    Never pack a gob****e there's always one waiting for you when you get there.

duh!!!

it's called disconnect the driveline.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking Duh

Quote Originally Posted by crfandy

Does anybody have any experience about this topic? Or know about any modification that can be done to use it, without disconecting the transmition ?

Any info will be highly apreciated
    Thanks
    Andres
    It's called read the entire thread...
    Sorry Spazz, I couldn't resist.

All in good fun, Ldub

I did READ...did you??? It said without disconnecting the Transmition(Transmision???). Disconnecting the driveline is not disconnecting the Transmision. Dill rod.

sorry..couldn't help it.

YOU DO NOT TOW A VX YOU DRIVE A VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with him, If you are goin to use it as a dinghy tow it on a trailer, thts the only way I know of without disconnecting the driveline. Better yet let someone else drive the Rv and you drive the VX. yep, life is good when you drive the vx, dont ever doubt it. lmao

FREAKIN' love Spazz------------DILL ROD??? excelent

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZZ
    I did READ...did you??? It said without disconnecting the Transmition(Transmision???). Disconnecting the driveline is not disconnecting the Transmision. Dill rod.

Just curious then .. if I'm wanting to disconnect my ex-wife's life support machine, does it matter whether I disconnect the machine at the extension cord, or the extension cord at the outlet? I truly cant take a chance on this little plan not working, what with the life insurance and all, and therefore I really want to do this the proper way. Please explain the difference in the final result, between disconnecting at Point A or at Point B. I tried asking her for help, but she too called me a dillrod. No help there, I guess

ps. Disclaimer: This is just a joke, and only a joke. My ex-wife is not, i repeat, not on life support... yet.